Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2016, 06:26 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,732,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You do understand that I did not bring Judge Judy into this, right?

Yes!!! I thought it was funny the way you used the judge judy comment actually. The poster who did is either just nuts or having fun I don't know.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:29 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,050,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
And again, Its all about "you" . . . A Dog owner?!?!?! Im shocked!!
Ive been the one to get bitten by dogs "who have never bitten before" twice, and once by a dog unrestrained, making me the recipient of three bites that required attention in my life time. Did I approach or "ask" for these in any way, of course not. They were all "good" dogs. My "fear"(which is really 'desire to avoid') is not irrational to me. I understand animal nature better then the person who really thinks they can change an animals DNA. Any dog can and will bite for a variety of reasons. It just takes the right circumstance. You dont know what that circumstance is in your animal. I just had the flu and suffered three days of Judge Judy and Peoples Court. Laugh if you want, but its no more ridiculous than the rest of this thread. Between them there must have been 5 episodes of peoples dogs attacking people or other dogs. And coincidentally, all the losing defendants sounded like the apologists here. Who needs the therapy is not the daughter
You're just using this thread to bash dog owners, who you seem to have a huge inexplicable issue with. It's pathetic.

Mattie did nothing to insinuate it's all about him or her.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:44 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,852,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
And again, Its all about "you" . . . A Dog owner?!?!?! Im shocked!!
Ive been the one to get bitten by dogs "who have never bitten before" twice, and once by a dog unrestrained, making me the recipient of three bites that required attention in my life time. Did I approach or "ask" for these in any way, of course not. They were all "good" dogs. My "fear"(which is really 'desire to avoid') is not irrational to me. I understand animal nature better then the person who really thinks they can change an animals DNA. Any dog can and will bite for a variety of reasons. It just takes the right circumstance. You dont know what that circumstance is in your animal. I just had the flu and suffered three days of Judge Judy and Peoples Court. Laugh if you want, but its no more ridiculous than the rest of this thread. Between them there must have been 5 episodes of peoples dogs attacking people or other dogs. And coincidentally, all the losing defendants sounded like the apologists here. Who needs the therapy is not the daughter

You're either the unluckiest person on the earth or you're "stretching" the truth to fit your agenda or you were doing something to these dogs that supposedly bit you. I've been around dogs my entire life and have been bitten exactly ZERO times. Sure any dog can bite under certain circumstances just like any human being can attack if provoked or fearful. Somehow you seem to be providing those circumstances pretty frequently..........

While it is absolutely incumbent on dog owners to have their dogs on leash and under control while out in public, it is not reasonable to expect them to not bring their dogs to places where they are welcome just because a child has an over the top fear of dogs. I understand that some people/kids are afraid and that's why my dog is never allowed to approach anyone unless they initiate the contact and I agree to allow it. If a child can't be in the same area as a dog even when said dog is not approaching them, that's not my issue but one that need to be addressed by the child's parent.

I don't like cats. Plus I'm severely allergic to them. But, I don't insist that my friends who have cats remove them from their homes so I can visit. I just meet them elsewhere so my eyes don't swell shut or some cat rubs up against me. It's not their fault that I have issues with cats and I don't expect them kowtow to demands they solve my problems. That's up to me.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:46 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,540,021 times
I have had dogs my entire life, I have tons of friends with dogs, and I worked at an animal shelter walking and playing with stray dogs. Number of dog bites: 0.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:56 AM

13,449 posts, read 15,561,928 times
Quote:
All of those fears are irrational and ridiculous.

No, you do not have to enjoy being in the company of snakes. But having an over-the-top, ludicrous response to a snake being in your vicinity is irrational and ridiculous.
That's your opinion of course. You can feel as you wish. Doesn't make it so. And frankly I wouldn't care if a random person found my reaction to the presence of a snake ridiculous. It is what it is.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:56 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,050,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
You're either the unluckiest person on the earth or you're "stretching" the truth to fit your agenda or you were doing something to these dogs that supposedly bit you. I've been around dogs my entire life and have been bitten exactly ZERO times. Sure any dog can bite under certain circumstances just like any human being can attack if provoked or fearful. Somehow you seem to be providing those circumstances pretty frequently..........

While it is absolutely incumbent on dog owners to have their dogs on leash and under control while out in public, it is not reasonable to expect them to not bring their dogs to places where they are welcome just because a child has an over the top fear of dogs. I understand that some people/kids are afraid and that's why my dog is never allowed to approach anyone unless they initiate the contact and I agree to allow it. If a child can't be in the same area as a dog even when said dog is not approaching them, that's not my issue but one that need to be addressed by the child's parent.

I don't like cats. Plus I'm severely allergic to them. But, I don't insist that my friends who have cats remove them from their homes so I can visit. I just meet them elsewhere so my eyes don't swell shut or some cat rubs up against me. It's not their fault that I have issues with cats and I don't expect them kowtow to demands they solve my problems. That's up to me.
Quote:
I have had dogs my entire life, I have tons of friends with dogs, and I worked at an animal shelter walking and playing with stray dogs. Number of dog bites: 0.
Exactly! Sure dogs can and do bite, but they usually don't bite for no reason. They have to be provoked or in fear somehow. Some dogs will bite a child, or snap at them as a warning, if the child is cornering them or being too annoying with them: pulling on them, pulling at their fur, trying to manhandle them too much. People here are making it seem like random unprovoked dog attacks are sooo common and they're not.

I was actually bitten by my cousin's CAT when I was a kid and don't recall ever being bitten by anyone's dog to this day.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:04 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,540,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
That's your opinion of course. You can feel as you wish. Doesn't make it so. And frankly I wouldn't care if a random person found my reaction to the presence of a snake ridiculous. It is what it is.
Not my opinion. Look it up.

A fear is irrational if it is

*Harmless. What is feared can not cause death, injury, illness, dismemberment, or ruin someones reputation.

*Something potentially dangerous, but whose probability of occurring is extremely low or not possible.

*A fear where the danger is misjudged or magnified.

I totally agree with you about the part about not caring what other people think. I totally agree. But that doesn't make a fear reasonable or rational.

It is reasonable and rational to expect that dogs be on leashes in public places. It is not reasonable or rational to expect there to never be any dogs around where they are allowed to be and are under control and pose no risk.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:06 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,852,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

No one is saying the kid isn't scared. Clearly she is. The issue is the OPs demand that the rest of the world should adapt so her daughter never encounters a dog. I agree completely that people should not take dogs to places that don't specifically allow them. And they should always be on leash and under the owners control. But, banning dogs everywhere public because some are afraid? No.

I'm with you on the fear of snakes. I've screamed more than once coming across one in my garden. But, I'm not going to go to a herpetology convention and insist the snakes be removed. They are allowed to be there so it's up to me to either not attend the convention or manage my fear. If the OPs daughter can't be within 100' (her contention) of a dog without freaking out, they need to either avoid places where dogs could be or help her learn to manage her fear.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:50 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,678,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You're just using this thread to bash dog owners, who you seem to have a huge inexplicable issue with. It's pathetic.

Mattie did nothing to insinuate it's all about him or her.
right. Birds/feathers . . .

Yes, I have huge issues with dog owners. I also do the taliban, drug dealers and anyone else who cannot comport themselves civilly in our society. If the kid has issues, it came about do to her perception of dogs and owners. Instead of trying to bash her and say she needs therapy, you guys need to police yourselves. Why she is worried is because repeatedly, she has seen dog owners NOT act responsibly. That is her version of things, and it is an accurate one.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:55 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,678,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
A dog owner denying reality. Hmmm . . . totally shocking. Never saw that before.

Any versed animal person is a aware of an animals instincts. That is why when dealing with cats a person wears gloves. It is why when working with birds/raptors, you put on gauntlets. If you have been around dogs you're whole life and never been bitten, that is the only unbelievable thing said here. Either you are 3 years old, or have only been around two dogs your whole life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships