Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 06:34 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,591,081 times

Advertisements

I'm white. Live in East Asia. Wife is East Asian. Child is half of each of us.

Have always had friends of different races, despite growing up in a largely white small town. There were a few blacks in my hometown. My Father's business partner was one of them.

Race really isn't a big deal. Its culture that really separates us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 06:49 AM

5,165 posts, read 4,506,280 times
Yes, lots. From different places I've lived, schools, jobs, travels, hobbies, and churches.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:49 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,358,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
In your personal life, do you have friends of different racial backgrounds?

I think it's something most people don't even think about, but I thought it would be an interesting thing to ask.

I don't really have a large circle of friends that I hang out with on a regular basis. But the friend I've known the longest going back to our Navy days is white. He lives about an hour away but I visit him every few months.

Even when I was young, I never had a hangup about having friends of different races, ethnicities, background, etc. As long as we got along, that's all that mattered. It helped that my parents were never judgmental or negative towards other races as I was growing up.

Yet I do think most people tend to naturally segregate themselves by race throughout their lives as sort of a comfort zone. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but just an observation. Take high school for example, some schools the different races tend to hang out with each other at lunch and things of that sort.

I'm sure that if one looked at social pictures of forum members on here, majority would all feature people of the same race/ethnicity (weddings, parties, etc.).
I'll do better than that. I have a family that consists of people from different racial backgrounds.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:17 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,432,418 times
Different races, religions, sexual orientations and socioeconomic backgrounds.

My closest friends from my home state area almost all white though, and it's weird because they are the most culturally "open" people I know and are (or were originally) located in one of the most diverse areas of the country. But given that my core group of friends in the hometown area includes my two best friends from high school and a group of people I met working at a bookstore, where most of the staff was white, I guess it's not surprising. Moreover, most of them live fairly close to each other.

Interestingly, almost all of those close friends in that core group have very close friendships with people from many different ethnicities, races and cultures (additionally two have lived around the world and traveled widely, another works on Africa-focused AIDS projects and yet another works on a Native American reservation in a cultural role). I would say that core group of friends is bound together by shared experiences, a shared sense of humor, shared values and proximity (though some of us have moved), but we have not limited our social interactions to just (or even primarily) each other.

It's a pretty monochromatic group that still has a very good grasp on the concept of diversity in their lives, I guess you could say.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:40 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,623,903 times
Yes. I have one friend I met at the Boston Marathon, another at the New York City Marathon - and some other friends I met at other races...
(removing attempts of humor).

Old 03-09-2016, 10:10 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,730,123 times
Several... family even. But I definitely don't try for it. I certainly don't assert moral authority because of it. I can't believe that any person would stack themselves up against others for that reason.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:15 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,822,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
In your personal life, do you have friends of different racial backgrounds?

Nope, i wish to be free to hate anyone and everyone. So I don't have any...I do try to be fair minded also...

Old 03-09-2016, 11:49 AM

20,777 posts, read 20,063,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
Yes. I have one friend I met at the Boston Marathon, another at the New York City Marathon - and some other friends I met at other races...
(removing attempts of humor).

yes.
Black, White, Mixed, Indian, native American, Germans, Americans, Belize (Belizian??)

Old 03-09-2016, 12:07 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,728,742 times
No white friends here. Friends of everyother race tho

Old 03-09-2016, 12:45 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,838,425 times
Yes I do. Two of my most precious ones are black, another is Filipino. Some of my shorties are Hispanic and I love their families as well.

Race has nothing to do with who you are as a person and how you connect as people. It's all about love. That and my Filipino friend and one of my black friends are the most awesome cooks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships