Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 11:14 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,309,182 times

Advertisements

When my grandmother passed she didn't have much, and most of it went to Salvation Army. But I did keep the book she carried with her everywhere she went in her later years (she had been reading it for 3-4 years and could never remember where she was in the book, and basically just kept reading the same 50 pages over and over again). I also got her Blue Willow dishes.

As for my parents, we had "that conversation" many years ago, and their wills now include a full spreadsheet outlining the things that my sister and I each claimed when we went through their house before they downsized and moved to a new town. Since their retirement, occasionally my mom will "clean house" and call to offer us stuff we had named-and-claimed, and if we still want it, she'll hold it until we can pick it up. If we've changed our mind, she donates it or sells it immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 11:15 AM

7,684 posts, read 5,545,742 times
I'm sure they have photos. Don't you want them, particularly photos from your childhood?

Old 03-22-2016, 11:03 PM

7,658 posts, read 4,625,969 times
Yes, I want it all. I just want it to be in the home, with my parents. 48 states, 19 countries and a whole lot of adventures all seemed possible, perhaps in part, because of the small town that changes at the slowest of paces to return to. I can relax on the deck, shaded by the largest maple you've ever seen and just have tension leave. I allowed myself to work remotely once, and swore I'd never do it again...telling all other employers that the little town still was without any sort of internet connection and cell towers were spotty. (Both are great)

It may be why they're doing it. I think if it happened tomorrow, I'd hire a crew and just have the house maintained. I'd put it off forever, like the baseball cards I collected as a kid. I'd buyout my siblings and give them all keys to the home.

So I know I'm not ready, but they've asked for some help and want to move forward. I suppose it's time to head home for a bit.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:41 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,199,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Yes, I want it all. I just want it to be in the home, with my parents. 48 states, 19 countries and a whole lot of adventures all seemed possible, perhaps in part, because of the small town that changes at the slowest of paces to return to. I can relax on the deck, shaded by the largest maple you've ever seen and just have tension leave. I allowed myself to work remotely once, and swore I'd never do it again...telling all other employers that the little town still was without any sort of internet connection and cell towers were spotty. (Both are great)

It may be why they're doing it. I think if it happened tomorrow, I'd hire a crew and just have the house maintained. I'd put it off forever, like the baseball cards I collected as a kid. I'd buyout my siblings and give them all keys to the home.

So I know I'm not ready, but they've asked for some help and want to move forward. I suppose it's time to head home for a bit.
While, I do not quite understand your post.

I did want to tell you that my siblings and I kept my parent's home completely intact for almost fifteen years after our last parent died. It would still be there today, but there were insurance problems because no one lived there permanently and we really did not keep up with the maintenance, as we should have.

Our farm has been in our family for 100 years this summer and will certainly hope that it stays in the family for decades, if not centuries, to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships