Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 09:26 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,267,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Work on your self-esteem.

You KNOW she is like this, and you know that she's not right, so make your own holiday plans and stop letting bitterness ruin YOUR holidays.

That old Carrie Fisher quote applies: "Resentment is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die."
^This. Holidays suck for single people sometimes. You have to get out there and do things with friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 09:27 AM

22,062 posts, read 13,079,311 times
I'm not angry; I'm Christian and forgive. And I agree. But in the first holidays without my mother, leaving me without any family or -- after years of devoted caregiving and basically giving up my own life -- without even my old network of friends who've fallen away, it's lonely. I'm pushing 60, too...

My ultimate plan is to move away and start over somewhere else after retirement (I'm stuck in this small town without a life until then), which will further separate me from my brother, but I'm sad that this seems to be my only recourse, as I'd rather have family like every other normal person on FB.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:31 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,067,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm not angry; I'm a Christian and forgive.
Um, Christians are allowed to be angry. And this stuff in bold:

Quote:

For the twenty years my mother was around, she would accompany my brother to our family celebrations only under extreme duress, it seemed. She would refuse to eat the holiday dinner my mother prepared, making various excuses. She fed the kids before coming so that they wouldn't eat anything, either. Nice! Once the gifts for which she came (birthday or Christmas or Easter baskets) were in her possession, she made some excuse to leave (hair had to be washed or dog walked). The entire time they were there, while my brother visited with my mother and me, she would huddle in a corner knitting and seemingly pouting, answering in monosyllables when addressed by us.

Well, no such luck. Thanksgiving? They had family dinner, posted Facebook pics. I sat home alone. Christmas? Same, except for a visit from my brother after THEIR family gathering and photo session. My birthday? Silence, except for a visit and gift from my brother. Easter? It looks like they had a nice family dinner and baskets. The bunny didn't come to see me. :'( Mind you, they're one mile away.

Am sick of being ostracized for no reason and treated unjustly like a second-class citizen. "Shunning" is generally reserved for the worst of crimes, after all, and for good reason: it hurts. What would you do?
Quote:
And, oh yeah, no "thank you" note for the really nice gift, either!
... is anger.

It's ok to be pissed about it, but understand that you can't change it so you have to cope with it in different ways.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:33 AM

Okay, I'm "angry," as it sucks and is unfair, but I'm not holding a grudge or stewing in my own juices.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:35 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,267,188 times
What if you just asked for an invitation? Or invited them to your house?

Old 03-28-2016, 09:39 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,067,356 times
Quote:
Okay, I'm "angry," as it sucks and is unfair, but I'm not holding a grudge or stewing in my own juices.
Maybe. You've forgiven, but you need to learn how to forget.

It's hard and constant work to make a meaningful life all by yourself. Empty-nesters realize when their kids move out how much they relied on their children for their identities. Married people don't often understand how they rely on that spouse to fill their days.

So yes, it gets old to be reminded that you are "not included" in something that seems so easy for many other people.

It makes you start to dread holidays.

I would do something completely new and different for holidays, so they can be memorable for different reasons. It does take effort, and it would be nice to just be an invited guest sometimes. Until that day, keep looking for ways to forget her bad manners. Don't let her define YOUR family. Invite your brother to do something just the two of you sometime. (Not a holiday, just an "everyday.) And keep looking for new things to try to meet new friends.

"What if you just asked for an invitation? Or invited them to your house?"

I've said to my brother, bitterly, "thanks for the invitation" or "nice of you to include me," to which he replies that he can't change people. I did invite them all to my mother's house just before we sold it for a "goodbye to the old house" party as a way of reaching out, but only my brother, niece, and her fiancé showed up. I guess I have my own social issues in that I don't go courting rejection or asking for pain.

16,429 posts, read 12,560,874 times
Quote:
Frankly, it sounds like you are.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:43 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,016,956 times
You mentioned that your brother avoids conflict. But, for him, there is no conflict. If he is going to take the path of least resistance, that will be keeping his wife happy. If you made a big stink about the situation, THAT would cause a conflict. I'm not suggesting it, just saying that you've made the decision very easy for him.

I would be tempted to reach out to your nieces in-laws. It sounds like you would have more fun with them anyway. And that would be a nice poke in the eye to your SIL.

Otherwise, consider doing volunteer work on holidays.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:45 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,551,555 times
Stop relying on Facebook as barometer for how families are. Facebook for some is like a bad Christmas letter of bragging about their vacations, achievements, children, & the like.

Do you have hobbies that have clubs/groups that could be source of fellowship? I'm thinking book club, quilters group, Bible study group, dog rescue, bird watchers, painting & pottery, etc....or community college or adult education classes to take. You need social interaction to make up for lack of family.

Your brother's family has made it clear. Do not look to them for fellowship. Make family of friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships