Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 11:20 AM

986 posts, read 1,866,765 times

Advertisements

I am living in Atlanta, GA. I live in a condo building with a shared gated yard. Some new neighbors just moved to the house next door, and their adult son is living in the carriage house out back. One of my neighbors alerted me that the son has been asking people in my building about me. He knows my dog's name, he knows what time I leave for work in the morning, what time I get home, he described an outfit I was wearing, and he noted that I was "out of town last weekend" (I was). He's been told to leave our gated courtyard by at least one of my neighbors in my building, telling him it was private property and he needed to leave (the courtyard isn't locked). They said it seems like his social "norms" are warped and he must have some mental disability/disorder of some sort.

This guy MAY be harmless but I'm also being overly cautious because I don't know the guy, his history, or intentions and it's just creepy to know someone is watching you that closely and you've never even seen him before.

Do you think this calls for a restraining order? Or me sending someone over to talk to his parents about it and let them know if this continues, I will be getting a restraining order against their son? What should I do? I don't want to make this into a bigger deal than it needs to be, but honestly who knows what else this guy knows about me or how close he's watching me, and it could be dangerous so I'm being cautious.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 11:36 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Why can't you talk to the parents first before seeking a restraining order? Perhaps he does have special needs. It's hard to restrict older special needs kids 100% of the time, they should have some degree of freedom to move around (I say this as the parent of a special needs person), but these kids can surprise us at times as any kid can, minus, sometimes, the social filter/full understanding of social mores. If this were my son, I'd be horrified and I'd for sure want to know, and I would definitely be having talks with my son and perhaps presenting him with illustrations and social stories. If the police were just called without my even knowing this was going on or if we were slapped with a restraining order I'd be shamed on top of horrified. Give these parents a chance.

If, after you've spoken to them, you see that they don't care, or they're defensive or...whatever, then you might want to pursue other actions for your protection.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:42 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
I don't think you can get a restraining order unless something threatening has happened, or unless he's harassed you directly. What is it about his behavior that caused your neighbors to tell him to leave the property? Was it the questioning about you, or was there something more?

What you can do is start a log. Write down incidents of his talking to neighbors about you, and the date, neighbor's name, & details. You can report this to police, who now have protocols for dealing with stalking incidents (which includes advising complainants to keep a log). However, since you've never encountered him directly, your case will have a lower priority, but it wouldn't hurt to get it on record, in case the situation escalates. It may not. This could be a case of a crush resulting in a fixation that wouldn't go farther than that. There's no way to know. Do you know his name? You could do a Google search on him.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:47 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Talk to neighbor first, then to the police if not satisfied with parents response to you.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:56 AM

66 posts, read 60,238 times
Keep a factual journal of anything to do with him: dates, times, places, people, everything. If he starts writing to you or sending you gifts, be sure to keep them too, or if it's something perishable like flowers, take photos. It may turn out he's harmless, but just in case he is not, your own written records is going to be the only evidence to back up your word.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:03 PM

1,289 posts, read 938,405 times
Default What to do about potential stalker?

Go to your nearest police station and ask them.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:08 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
You won't get a restraining order if he hasn't threatened you or attempted to harm you. Knowing information about you is not grounds for a restraining order.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:27 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,578,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
I am living in Atlanta, GA. I live in a condo building with a shared gated yard. Some new neighbors just moved to the house next door, and their adult son is living in the carriage house out back. One of my neighbors alerted me that the son has been asking people in my building about me. He knows my dog's name, he knows what time I leave for work in the morning, what time I get home, he described an outfit I was wearing, and he noted that I was "out of town last weekend" (I was). He's been told to leave our gated courtyard by at least one of my neighbors in my building, telling him it was private property and he needed to leave (the courtyard isn't locked). They said it seems like his social "norms" are warped and he must have some mental disability/disorder of some sort.

This guy MAY be harmless but I'm also being overly cautious because I don't know the guy, his history, or intentions and it's just creepy to know someone is watching you that closely and you've never even seen him before.

Do you think this calls for a restraining order? Or me sending someone over to talk to his parents about it and let them know if this continues, I will be getting a restraining order against their son? What should I do? I don't want to make this into a bigger deal than it needs to be, but honestly who knows what else this guy knows about me or how close he's watching me, and it could be dangerous so I'm being cautious.

Thank you!
Have you consider asking him out to coffee, lunch, or diner and get to know him?

Old 04-22-2016, 12:39 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Have you consider asking him out to coffee, lunch, or diner and get to know him?
Very bad idea. You have no idea what this person is like. Being the least bit accommodating or encouraging of someone giving unwanted attention can spiral out of control very fast.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:41 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Very bad idea. You have no idea what this person is like. Being the least bit accommodating or encouraging of someone giving unwanted attention can spiral out of control very fast.
I agree. Don't give encouragement. Contact the parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships