Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 12:43 PM

10,182 posts, read 20,821,808 times

Advertisements

She's not a friend but an acquaintance, so why torture yourself over this? if all these people in the circle treated you poorly, it's time to leave the circle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 01:03 PM

12,893 posts, read 9,148,662 times
Or you might consider that she is walking a tightrope between different friends and trying to keep peace with both sides? Without knowing both sides and what this horrible thing was, we can't make any more judgment than that.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:05 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,029,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I am really angry at a friend. She's not a close friend, more of an acquaintance, but I see her a lot and we share some social circles. Not too long ago I had a really bad experience with a couple of people in our circle. They treated me horribly. I won't go into details, but I'll ask you to take my word for it that what they did was really wrong and hurtful, and I did not do anything to bring it on myself. They've done the same thing to some other people also.

Well, I was talking to this friend, and the subject of what happened came up, and she said something like, well I know you don't like them but I love them and think they're wonderful people. And then she waxed poetic about these people for several minutes. It made me furious. I know they have treated her well, but isn't it rude to say that someone is a wonderful person and you love them when you are speaking to someone that you know was badly wronged by that person? Up until now I've considered her a nice person, but after those comments I'm feeling differently. I think it makes her almost as bad when she knows they've hurt someone but still says they are wonderful people just because they have been nice to her.
Not enough information to give an opinion.

Because opinions differ widely on what "being wronged" is, especially among women.

I don't know you, so I don't know what it means when you say, "They treated me horribly." Did they run over your cat? Did they break into your house and steal prescription drugs? Did they key your car?

Or did they just express a negative opinion of you to someone else, who turned around and told you?

Old 05-29-2016, 01:35 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,012,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Not enough information to give an opinion.

Because opinions differ widely on what "being wronged" is, especially among women.

I don't know you, so I don't know what it means when you say, "They treated me horribly." Did they run over your cat? Did they break into your house and steal prescription drugs? Did they key your car?

Or did they just express a negative opinion of you to someone else, who turned around and told you?
Yes, it's hard to say anything without the facts, I know. But for anonymity I don't feel comfortable stating them, so I just asked responders to imagine that it was definitely something wrong. I'll go one step further and say that it caused my family months of anguish and we nearly had to move. But beyond that I can't give any details.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:17 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,027,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Or you might consider that she is walking a tightrope between different friends and trying to keep peace with both sides?
This. She may be making an awkward attempt to defuse the situation.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:43 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,159,459 times
I might be irritated, but it wasn't rude of her to say she loves someone who was mean to you. She's entitled to her own loves/hates.

Interesting that your post implies that you didn't speak up, since you said she waxed on for several minutes.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:07 PM

648 posts, read 1,177,061 times
This person may be entitled to her own loves/hates.. but to go on & on about someone who caused great harm to someone else- TO the person they hurt..? Not only rude and cruel
but maybe even a bit of a power play. People do weird shlt and who knows why..? But the fact that this person clearly chose a side and did not care about hurting you further by praising the other couple to your face- clearly shows that your friendship is not a priority to her.
There are ways of being TACTFUL (increasingly a lost art, apparently!) in these situations.. where she could've said 'well...... I've had a good relationship with them so far- but I do understand you had a huge falling out with them- I have a different relationship and see another side of them, I guess they never showed that side with me.. but it sounds terrible & must have been an awful thing to go through.. I don't know why they did that to you, sorry you had to go through that'.. etc etc.

And really, they should be careful about putting the other couple too high on a pedestal.. because if they did that evil stuff to you- they may just as easily do the same to THEM. So they should take your story seriously and at least listen with an open mind. Because they could be next....!

Old 05-29-2016, 08:55 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,922,543 times
The wrongs were between you and the people who wronged you. She had nothing to do with these wrongs. These people have only treated her well.

This is your problem, not hers. Do her a favor in the future. Just leave her alone.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:01 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,516,563 times
Quote:
I am really angry at a friend. She's not a close friend, more of an acquaintance, but I see her a lot and we share some social circles. Not too long ago I had a really bad experience with a couple of people in our circle. They treated me horribly. I won't go into details, but I'll ask you to take my word for it that what they did was really wrong and hurtful, and I did not do anything to bring it on myself. They've done the same thing to some other people also.

Well, I was talking to this friend, and the subject of what happened came up, and she said something like, well I know you don't like them but I love them and think they're wonderful people. And then she waxed poetic about these people for several minutes. It made me furious. I know they have treated her well, but isn't it rude to say that someone is a wonderful person and you love them when you are speaking to someone that you know was badly wronged by that person? Up until now I've considered her a nice person, but after those comments I'm feeling differently. I think it makes her almost as bad when she knows they've hurt someone but still says they are wonderful people just because they have been nice to her.
And what was your response when they treated others poorly?

I'm not unsympathetic but from your post (and the limited details which I totally understand) it sounds as if you were perhaps aware of their bad behavior but ignored it until you were the recipient. Your friend might be doing the same.

Doesn't make it right but just pointing out a perspective.

Last edited by maciesmom; 05-29-2016 at 09:56 PM..

Old 05-30-2016, 12:03 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,283,387 times
Quote:

She is your acquaintance, but she is their friend. Talking to her about them put her into a defensive mode.

Choose who you open up to wisely. These are not your friends, walk away and make some real friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships