Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 01:56 AM

30,586 posts, read 16,272,886 times

Advertisements

no, I wouldn't be mad at her. As mentioned, she's got a different point of view. Move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 04:25 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,007,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And what was your response when they treated others poorly?

I'm not unsympathetic but from your post (and the limited details which I totally understand) it sounds as if you were perhaps aware of their bad behavior but ignored it until you were the recipient. Your friend might be doing the same.

Doesn't make it right but just pointing out a perspective.
No, not at all. I had no idea about the other people, and only found out after it happened to me.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:42 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,057,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I might be irritated, but it wasn't rude of her to say she loves someone who was mean to you. She's entitled to her own loves/hates.

Interesting that your post implies that you didn't speak up, since you said she waxed on for several minutes.

I think the OP was hoping her non-friend friend would take her side and talk crap about the couple to make her 'feel' better. I thought this type of behavior ended once you left high school...guess I was wrong.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:59 AM

7,600 posts, read 4,175,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
She is your acquaintance, but she is their friend. Talking to her about them put her into a defensive mode.

Choose who you open up to wisely. These are not your friends, walk away and make some real friends.
I agree with this post.

Be careful what you say and how you say it. If you think about it, many of our friendships don't begin by complaining about people in the social circle so that is not a direction I would take with acquaintances.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:08 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,667,132 times
Why did you engage in a conversation about people who hurt you so bad? When their names are brought up walk away.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:11 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,250,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Yes, it's hard to say anything without the facts, I know. But for anonymity I don't feel comfortable stating them, so I just asked responders to imagine that it was definitely something wrong. I'll go one step further and say that it caused my family months of anguish and we nearly had to move. But beyond that I can't give any details.
Ok, so "it", whatever these people did, was so that bad that it affected your whole family, why are you even remotely involved with anyone that is friends with them.

Why poke the bear. Especially when you speak of "it" in past tense. Revenge, harassment or you like drama?

Old 05-30-2016, 05:15 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,250,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Why did you engage in a conversation about people who hurt you so bad? When their names are brought up walk away.
The way I read the OP....he/she is the one bring their names up.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:07 AM

82 posts, read 116,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I am really angry at a friend. She's not a close friend, more of an acquaintance, but I see her a lot and we share some social circles. Not too long ago I had a really bad experience with a couple of people in our circle. They treated me horribly. I won't go into details, but I'll ask you to take my word for it that what they did was really wrong and hurtful, and I did not do anything to bring it on myself. They've done the same thing to some other people also.

Well, I was talking to this friend, and the subject of what happened came up, and she said something like, well I know you don't like them but I love them and think they're wonderful people. And then she waxed poetic about these people for several minutes. It made me furious. I know they have treated her well, but isn't it rude to say that someone is a wonderful person and you love them when you are speaking to someone that you know was badly wronged by that person? Up until now I've considered her a nice person, but after those comments I'm feeling differently. I think it makes her almost as bad when she knows they've hurt someone but still says they are wonderful people just because they have been nice to her.
I think the bolded parts of your post are all that matters. Sorry, this is an internet forum. There's ALWAYS two sides to every story, and we're only hearing yours. What do you think these people who have supposedly "wronged" you would say, hmm? I bet it's a lot different.

So, the bolded parts. It's ok for you to talk badly about these people, because you think they wronged you. Yet, it's not ok for someone else to speak highly of them because they've been treated well by them (which you admit)?

Get over it. You can pick your friends, but you can't pick the friends of your friends.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:57 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,763,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Not enough information to give an opinion.

Because opinions differ widely on what "being wronged" is, especially among women.

I don't know you, so I don't know what it means when you say, "They treated me horribly." Did they run over your cat? Did they break into your house and steal prescription drugs? Did they key your car?

Or did they just express a negative opinion of you to someone else, who turned around and told you?
Agree. Before commenting of what the acquaintance might be thinking, I would need to know the exact nature of the "wrong" that was perpetrated against you. Can't automatically accept your version of events over any other person's without details. That would be ignorant of me.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:21 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,815,133 times
It sounds like your friend/acquaintance is a bird of the feather with the mean girls. When someone is hurting you don't rub salt in the wound. She is not behaving like a friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships