Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 01:53 PM

8,284 posts, read 8,688,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdomsDealer View Post
Mod cut.

3. I guess people on Citydata don't assume a female can be just as witty or funny as a man (on my username). It's quite sad actually.
Your username is not witty or funny, just strange. That is why people mentioned it. Not understanding witty or funny may be one of your problems meeting people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 01:58 PM

22,642 posts, read 47,813,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Your username is not witty or funny, just strange. That is why people mentioned it. Not understanding witty or funny may be one of your problems meeting people.
Could very well be.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:13 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,296,634 times
OP, I'm just a few years older than you (34), so I'm in your same age bracket.

I think what you are describing is pretty common. In my 20's I had a a few close friends, and a larger group of people that I could count as friends. As we got a little older these friendships waned. This was mostly due to the predictable reasons; people moved, got married, had kids, etc. When these things happen there is simply less time to focus on friendships. I myself am married with children. The friends I still see the most are others in the same situation. I think this is because it is most convenient for all parties. The kids can amuse each other, and each couple understands why the other needs to be home at a relatively early hour.

In addition to all of that, I think we tend to get set in our ways as we grow a little older. I probably haven't made a new friendship since my mid-20s. I became pretty close to a group I worked with then and I still consider them friends even though we no longer work together. Again, they are now in the same life stage as me. At this point in my life I don't have a lot of interest in new friends. This is simply because I'm busy all of the time and when I have free time I just want to veg out at home.

I suspect this may be the situation with you. Your old friends are just in a different life stage. It is probably nothing against you.

I have heard from older coworkers that people tend to have a renaissance and go out more once their kids are older. So, either wait it out or find a partner (j/k).

Old 09-15-2016, 02:35 PM

555 posts, read 618,933 times
Quote:
i think its funny... whats strange to me is people attacking the OP and focusing on things like username and "moving" over the actual topic, which is actually a pretty interesting topic these days.

I remember in HS when you liked a girl you had to actually get up the nerve to call her, and not just on her mobile, but on the housephone!...lol. which was often picked up by her parents who kinda interviewed you and screened you.

Now everything is text, makes you wonder how these kids will grow up socially.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:01 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,716,738 times
Quote:
So you don't know anything about this person, really, other than their user name. So that's what you critique. Well if that's all you have to go by...

Really, people can wind up friendless for many reasons that have nothing to do with their personal character. In fact, the biggest jerks I know seem to have very active social lives and lots of people they call "friends". I really do not know why that is, but it's just something I've observed. I think aggressive, jerky people tend to attract more admirers for whatever reason.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:02 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,716,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
I remember in HS when you liked a girl you had to actually get up the nerve to call her, and not just on her mobile, but on the housephone!...lol. which was often picked up by her parents who kinda interviewed you and screened you.

My nephew doesn't communicate with anyone at all unless it's via text. And yes, is somewhat socially stunted. He refuses to talk on the phone or in person. But he sends texts all day and all night long.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:18 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,763,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
In fact, the biggest jerks I know seem to have very active social lives and lots of people they call "friends". I really do not know why that is, but it's just something I've observed. I think aggressive, jerky people tend to attract more admirers for whatever reason.
That's true! In an ideal world, people with nasty personalities and bad tempers would be doomed to spend the rest of their lives all alone. Instead, they always seem to have lots friends/followers. For some strange reason, people seem to be attracted to those jerk types.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:27 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,681,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
My nephew doesn't communicate with anyone at all unless it's via text. And yes, is somewhat socially stunted. He refuses to talk on the phone or in person. But he sends texts all day and all night long.
What's his plan for going on a job interview? Or is the plan to live with mommy till he's 40?

Sounds like he needs a good kick in the a**.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:37 AM

8,284 posts, read 8,688,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
i think its funny... whats strange to me is people attacking the OP and focusing on things like username and "moving" over the actual topic, which is actually a pretty interesting topic these days.

It is focusing on the topic. Isn't the question why she doesn't have friends? Thinking things are funny when they aren't and expecting people to help you do things that most people don't ask others to do will make it harder to find friends. It did not have to be moving. If she said paint or put in a lawn the replies would have been the same.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:52 AM

11,817 posts, read 12,068,109 times
Quote:
It is focusing on the topic. Isn't the question why she doesn't have friends? Thinking things are funny when they aren't and expecting people to help you do things that most people don't ask others to do will make it harder to find friends. It did not have to be moving. If she said paint or put in a lawn the replies would have been the same.
Don't know if this is the OP but nothing worse than a friend who calls you only when they need something from you.

If you want friends, you have to get out there and make connections, not sit passively, waiting for people to come to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships