Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 03:33 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,340,243 times

Advertisements

Sit your sister down and ask that she lets you know when she arrives. Try to get her to commit to meeting the guy in a public place. I'm sure she has a cell phone that she can call or text you often.

I have to admit to being a bit biased. I met my husband online. Good old AOL Chat Room days.

We have been married for 16 years now, were living together for 4 years before that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 03:59 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,929,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Did they know each other in person before or just online?

Hate to break it to you, but pretty much everyone is meeting online and then meeting in person now days, so I hope it's just the traveling part giving you pause.
I think there's some people that are just really ''Old fashioned'' when it comes to meeting online. And it really can be people of any age at all, not just older people.

It's obviously for the most part, people who have never met someone online. Or they did and they were one of the few that had an unfortunate or less than ideal experience.

When I met a girl online back in 2003, I told most of my family that I met her at a store or something. I made up something, I don't even remember where I said. I told a few close friends about it and that was it. Until almost a year later, I finally told everyone we met online. They didn't think it was so weird. We wound then be in a relationship for over 5 years. I had actually met about 3 other girls online that same summer, which I also told most people ''Yeah, I'm going out with this girl. I met her through a friend''. I even had this stigma about meeting people online.

In 2016 though, it's not odd at all. I think the people these days that think it's more odd, are people that might not even use the internet at all. Of course, there are plenty of exceptions too.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:04 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,929,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Sit your sister down and ask that she lets you know when she arrives. Try to get her to commit to meeting the guy in a public place. I'm sure she has a cell phone that she can call or text you often.

I have to admit to being a bit biased. I met my husband online. Good old AOL Chat Room days.

We have been married for 16 years now, were living together for 4 years before that.
AOL chat room days? I used to use them all the time! I'm sure that back in the mid 90's, that was the early days of meeting online. It wasn't nearly as common as it now, it was still a very new concept at the time. I can only imagine what some people thought of internet dating or meeting people online back in 1994, when compared to 2016. It was probably looked at to be very taboo or just straight up strange in those days!

I remember using AOL chat rooms back in the mid 90's. It might have been around 1997 though, that's when I got my very first computer. I used to go on those chat rooms all the time and would talk to girls and only people on them. Only the girls that I would talk to, they would usually live thousands of miles away. So nothing would ever come out of it. I never actually met anyone in person using them. I was also only 15 when I was using them.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:55 PM

483 posts, read 691,865 times
Yeah, the guy probably isn't that much of a sketch if she's known him for this long; he probably would've revealed some issues long before if he were. I myself met a group of ladies I'd chummed with online a decade or so ago in person, and traveled to Mexico in order to do it too. It's worked out great. Everybody was who they said they were, my (generally v. conservative) parents trusted me, I had left them a couple phone numbers of people in the group and also where I was staying. Some of these women are my friends still. I think odds are heavily against this guy being up to no good, and heavily for him being benign.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:01 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,468 times
It's a bad, bad idea. No way, no how. So much time has elapsed and he could be the complete opposite of what he used to be. Have him come to her and have lots and lots of friends to assess him in a public place.
We need to try to talk sense into women who put themselves in harm.s way "for love".

Old 09-16-2016, 06:56 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
Like most are saying, she's a big girl now and can take care of herself, but if you have to butt in anyway, you could suggest they meet someplace between Pennsylvania and Washington. Neutral territory

Old 09-16-2016, 08:30 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
It is nice to have someone who cares about you. But privacy is nice too.

Have her snap his photo when she first meets him & text it to you. She can tell him her paranoid sister made her. Problem solved. He knows someone else knows she's with him and you know what he looks like.

Have her text you once a day at x time & if she has no issue use something about sunshine weather comment in text. If an issue, mention looks like rain. She can tell him she needs text her sister daily but not rain/sun significance. Now stop worrying.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:36 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,675,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennaegot View Post
She used to talk to him online when she was younger, around 17 or 18, I think.
Eeeww.. that doesn't sound great.. but who knows.. she is the one who had communicated with him. Maybe he is an okay guy, but he should probably come to her location, if he really wants to meet. It seems that those who easily do this or are more anxious to, are newly divorced or with less relationship experience, but I know this is what people are accustomed to doing anymore. It's just that, women may be placing themselves in a vulnerable situation.

I had always dated those who I had already become familiar with or had spontaneously met in person, determining if we wanted to continue seeing each other. Also, there was a time, pre-Internet, when there existed dating services or personals which were pretty much the same idea as OLD. (Let's face it, no matter how people meet, they really don't know a person until later anyway and are taking chances).

Old 09-17-2016, 02:21 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,931 times
yeah sound like a bad idea. but i doubt you can stop her.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:53 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Eeeww.. that doesn't sound great.. but who knows.. she is the one who had communicated with him. Maybe he is an okay guy, but he should probably come to her location, if he really wants to meet. It seems that those who easily do this or are more anxious to, are newly divorced or with less relationship experience, but I know this is what people are accustomed to doing anymore. It's just that, women may be placing themselves in a vulnerable situation.

I had always dated those who I had already become familiar with or had spontaneously met in person, determining if we wanted to continue seeing each other. Also, there was a time, pre-Internet, when there existed dating services or personals which were pretty much the same idea as OLD. (Let's face it, no matter how people meet, they really don't know a person until later anyway and are taking chances).
Eeeww? When I was in my 20s, I ran into a guy who had attended the same high school that I did. We weren't friends when we were younger, but we'd spoken and knew some of the same people. He'd moved away from the home town 9 years earlier, and was in for a family event. He was back 3 1/2 months later for Christmas, and we went out--a lot. In January, I flew to see him and stayed at his house. I'm sure my mother was thrilled. Long short, we got married 5 months later. Just because you haven't seen or spoken to someone since you were young doesn't make them a creepster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships