Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 05:39 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,316,540 times

Advertisements

OP....Has your sister met him yet?? Any updates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 02:53 PM

714 posts, read 752,272 times
I get it, people meet online.

I can see the reasons for concern as this has "desperation" written all over it. Traveling cross-country to meet someone you kind of used to chat with online 15-16 years ago, post-divorce?

It was like she literally thought of the last guy she had contact with before her marriage and looked him up.

It's just silly to go that route over trying to meet someone new within a reasonable distance.

I understand your concern for your sister, but if you have to talk her down from this, it won't be the last time. I've seen friends act similarly out of depression/desperation and it's just the type of person they are. They don't stop until they're in a relationship with some shady person.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:17 PM

6,622 posts, read 4,928,174 times
FBI manhunt underway now?

Sarcasm aside, not having seen statistics broken down to that level, I believe the vast majority of abductions of women by strangers or almost-strangers are women under age 30.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=530724

Old 10-20-2016, 07:31 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,424,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennaegot View Post
This is just one thing that I really needed help with. My sister sometimes does things that I don't agree with and I worry about her constantly.

She is 34 and she is living on her own after getting divorced from her husband about a year ago. They were together for almost 13 years. They seemed happy, but she would confide in me about problems they were having, which seemed normal for every couple. My husband and I fight on occasion. Nothing was out of the ordinary. I think she wanted to do more in life and he didn't. They had a mutual break up and got divorced. My sister got her own place afterwards and she seems happier now.

She told me that she was going to travel to Washington State to meet an online friend. Apparently they were friends before she was married and she stopped talking to him when she started dating her husband. She recently found him online and they started talking again. She has never mentioned this guy to me. He's 8 years older than her and he lives with his brother in Seattle.

My sister used to talk to guys online when she was younger and I was always worried that one day she would be abducted because she's an open book. Our mom passed away years ago and neither of us talk to our dad, so I'm kind of alone here. I don't know what this guy's intentions are and I don't know what she is expecting to happen.

I haven't said anything to her about this. I want to chose my words carefully. She is very sensitive and I don't want her to take anything the wrong way. She is a free spirit and in the end she is going to do whatever she wants, but I want her to know how unsafe this sounds. I'm not great with words and I could use some help.

Thanks
Many folks who answered you said that your sister is old enough to know about the pros and cons of doing what she intends to here and I agree.

If you have to worry about something then worry about the fact that you worry.

Kindest regards,
kitty

Old 10-21-2016, 03:15 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,721,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Many folks who answered you said that your sister is old enough to know about the pros and cons of doing what she intends to here and I agree.

If you have to worry about something then worry about the fact that you worry.

Kindest regards,
kitty

So you should only worry about family members until they turn 18?

How about if the OP's sister had minor children? Like the nurse in Washington state who met the guy online and ended with her body parts in various dumpsters throughout Seattle. Wonder how her girls are doing?

I know that is extreme, but your response is over simplistic.

Something happens to the sister, the family and friends have to deal with the aftermath.

If someone does proceed with this, they give all the information to more than one person, and you let the online "boyfriend" know people know who I am with.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:07 PM

3,265 posts, read 2,364,704 times
>>Our mom passed away years ago and neither of us talk to our dad, so I'm kind of alone here.<<

Your mom passed away years ago? On another thread you asked how you could get out of having your mother move in with you! You said you spoke with her yesterday! What the heck?

Old 12-19-2016, 12:48 AM

997 posts, read 943,737 times
Yes!!! I am confused too. I thought that your mom wanted to move in with you.

Now she is dead? Retroactively? That is terrible.

Your sister better not travel until the situation with Mom is resolved.

Was she cremated?

Old 12-19-2016, 05:17 AM

4,419 posts, read 3,504,373 times
LOL she also said she was an only child in that thread.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:47 AM

3,265 posts, read 2,364,704 times
Oops! Which story is reality? Neither?

Old 12-20-2016, 04:26 AM

997 posts, read 943,737 times
Liar Liar Pants On Fire.....

Neither story is true. They are both fabrications.

I have observed that fake posts seem to be common around here. That is somewhat offputting but I understand the need.

Even a fake post sparks conversation and the topics are about situations that are realistic and relevant. I can see the benefit and I can kind of spot a fake post and participate anyway.

That one was especially bad because she posted a lot and the topics were about 'poor me'. When she was caught by the Brass Tacks Gal, she should have excused herself instead of lying more. Thank you for finding that. I repped you of course but didn't get a chance to thank you.

In her case, she might have been a pathological liar because she continued to deny and lie when she was clearly busted. That is what pathologicals do. I was offended, but it was amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships