Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 08:49 PM

22,620 posts, read 47,758,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Ok, so an old friend of mine just posted pictures of her son's wedding reception. The event was "catered" by a burger and hot dog food truck.

So, post your tacky stories here.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is not in the least bit tacky.
I can see why your old friend did not invite you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 09:03 PM

19,435 posts, read 15,279,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
Unless the wedding was Black Tie and held at an extravagant ballroom, I don't see how a food truck is an issue. That would be a good idea for an outdoor/ casual wedding.

I did once go to a somewhat tacky wedding in Vegas. The wedding was fine, the issue was the venue was so small that the bathroom was only steps away from the alter. It sort of ruined the mood to hear the toilet flush in the middle of "I do". Come to think of it, no that wasn't tacky. It was funny, we had a good laugh and enjoyed ourselves
lol!

Old 09-18-2016, 09:11 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,810,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
My husband and I must have had a tacky reception. We did a pig pickin' and had a keg of beer. That's what we could afford. We also told all the wedding guests to bring shorts and short sleeved shirts to change into since the reception was being held outdoors and it's hot here in May.
My former boss always threw a great pig-pickin' every year. When my daughter got married, that's what they wanted. I fully expected to pay for the pig, but they ended up doing that as a wedding gift. Everyone enjoyed the food and the casual atmosphere. Not tacky at all!

Old 09-18-2016, 09:22 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,980,361 times
My late husband and I got married on the deck of an old log cabin that overlooked the Blue Ridge mountains (and we were lucky enough that it was an astoundingly beautiful early April day). Everyone wore jeans, even me. I cooked the food and made the cake. Oh, and I had some very tacky (synthetically dyed, neon coloured) daisies from the grocery store to hold. We poured similar coloured sands between two glass cylinders till they mixed. We only had 6 people there including us, and the minister. We all thought it was the best wedding we had ever been to. Total cost less than $300 (and most of that was for the cabin rental and the minister) but the rings were extra I suppose.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:58 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,214,016 times
A food truck sounds fun and trendy. If the number of guests were over 100, I might have done 2 food trucks (the second a totally different type of food). I picked 100 as an example - but it would depend on how many meals were in the guest food budget and how many the truck needed to turn a profit to be there. Logistics - logistics.

Yes, on the posters that lauded the financial sense. I once went to a wedding where the bride confided that they spent over $50K for the wedding. They didn't have enough money for a down payment of a house. I guess that worked out OK on no house, since the marriage only lasted a year. Let that sink in - a $50K party and nothing to show for it (and we didn't get anything as cool as a food truck!).

Last edited by cheryjohns; 09-18-2016 at 10:15 PM..

Old 09-18-2016, 11:10 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,117,044 times
I'm in agreement with everyone else: not tacky, probably lots of fun, who are you to judge?

UNLESS! Guests were expected to pay for their own food from the food truck? Now that I would consider tacky.

Guests paying for food or drink would be tacky. Guests having no food or drink at all would be tacky.

But guests having a meal catered by food trucks could be a fun and memorable reception!

Old 09-19-2016, 02:04 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,621,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I'm wondering what's so "tacky" about serving food you and your guests like? Unless the guests were expected to pay for their own food.
That would be gloriously tacky, especially if they took credit cards and there were space for a gratuity on the invoice.

The hot dog and hamburger truck is fine as long as neither the bride nor groom is over sixteen.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:20 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,139,953 times
It was probably better than most wedding reception food because it was cooked to order. Banquets, and wedding receptions tend to have pretty bland food because of the challenges involved in cooking and then transporting said food for multiple people at the same time while maintaining safe serving temps.

Tackiest and also funniest thing I've ever seen when it comes to wedding reception food was when my brother in law got married. It was an Armenian affair and one of the dishes ( the name escapes me right now ) is a ground raw lamb appetizer served on a stick. My ex took out a bic lighter and began cooking it at our table.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:33 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,335,525 times
Food truck weddings are all the rage these days. Not even unusual at this point.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:53 AM

7,251 posts, read 7,096,061 times
Still tacky.

And it was her son's wedding, not hers so why would I be invited?

And they live 1500 miles away.

You people have no taste. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships