Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 10:14 AM

709 posts, read 579,145 times

Advertisements

I don't know how you can even waste your time hanging out with her. It sounds too exhausting having a friend like that. Sometimes ya just gotta let go, even if it's a long term relationship. It sucks because there's a history, but it sounds to me like this relationship has run its course. She's insecure and sounds like a teenager. People grow, and it appears she hasnt. Move on and at the very least, limit your time with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 10:15 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,429,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty_charge View Post

She can say, "Your pretty," and, "My butt is better than yours," all in the same sentence.
"You're a big ass, that's for sure."

Quote:
When I'd dress sexy, she'd tell me I look like a hoochie, or I was too old to wear that, or I was a flat stick with no shape.
"I'd rather be ugly on the outside than ugly on the inside."

Old 09-28-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
She has simply written it off to, "I was being weird."

I try to dress as modestly and loosely as possible when I'm with her, I almost never mention any of my successes,
"No, you are being an ass."

And stop that! If she can't take it, that's her problem, not yours.

Quote:
Recently, she's been bragging about her new higher salary and how great her resume is.
"Who are you trying to convince, me or yourself?" Then walk away.

At some point you have to stand up for yourself by giving it right back. She will either stop being a jerk or you two will have to part ways, and it couldn't happen soon enough as far as I'm concerned. no way would I hang out with someone like that.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:31 AM

228 posts, read 162,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
"No, you are being an ass."

And stop that! If she can't take it, that's her problem, not yours.

"Who are you trying to convince, me or yourself?" Then walk away.

At some point you have to stand up for yourself by giving it right back. She will either stop being a jerk or you two will have to part ways, and it couldn't happen soon enough as far as I'm concerned. no way would I hang out with someone like that.

Here's the thing that makes me doubt myself. She doesn't say it rude or aggressively. She says it with a nice tone, with a smile on her face, in a friendly manner, and saying it sensitively, "Your body is like a stick whereas mine is curvy."

I think it's time for me to bite back as she does, nicely, in a sensitive manner, "You're so mean."

The same with her new salary and resume. She will brag but not arrogantly, but will go on for hours about herself.

Maybe I am too sensitive? Jealous? I also find it odd that she'll try to explain to me medicine. She's been very bad at science all her life, but here she goes arguing with me about something she's read and I'm like, well, that's not really so, and she gets all defensive. Or she'll cut me off to put in her own input.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
She doesn't say it rude or aggressively. She says it with a nice tone, with a smile on her face, in a friendly manner, and saying it sensitively, "Your body is like a stick whereas mine is curvy."
That's called passive-aggressive manipulation.

Do not say some mamby-pamby, "Don't be mean to me."

Call her out directly, "Stop saying that to me. I've had enough of your insults, and I'm not going to stand for it anymore."

You can do it.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:39 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,965,061 times
Quote:
Here's the thing that makes me doubt myself. She doesn't say it rude or aggressively. She says it with a nice tone, with a smile on her face, in a friendly manner, and saying it sensitively, "Your body is like a stick whereas mine is curvy."

I think it's time for me to bite back as she does, nicely, in a sensitive manner, "You're so mean."

The same with her new salary and resume. She will brag but not arrogantly, but will go on for hours about herself.

Maybe I am too sensitive? Jealous? I also find it odd that she'll try to explain to me medicine. She's been very bad at science all her life, but here she goes arguing with me about something she's read and I'm like, well, that's not really so, and she gets all defensive. Or she'll cut me off to put in her own input.
Just say, "Great! Then you buy lunch!"

Old 09-28-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
That's called passive-aggressive manipulation.

Do not say some mamby-pamby, "Don't be mean to me."

Call her out directly, "Stop saying that to me. I've had enough of your insults, and I'm not going to stand for it anymore."

You can do it.
I will do it. F it. But next time she compares again, I'll ask her straight up, "How come you make comments about my body/me negatively?"

Passive-aggressive, hm, I'll Google that.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:51 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,912,555 times
Quote:
Recently, she's been bragging about her new higher salary and how great her resume is. I'm happy for her, I know she deserves it but after several hours of her going on and on about it, I felt a bit insecure myself because I chose to further my education (podiatry school) so obviously, I don't have an income right now, my classes are hard, I'm stressed. When I began to tell her about my hard classes, she immediately cut off the conversation and went back to boasting how hard her new job is.
There ya go. This bothers you because you are insecure with yourself. If you were secure in yourself, her comments wouldn't bother you.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:57 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,965,061 times
Quote:
I will do it. F it. But next time she compares again, I'll ask her straight up, "How come you make comments about my body/me negatively?"

Passive-aggressive, hm, I'll Google that.
She's right!

I live with someone like that.

I call them out on how what they said was hurtful and I get, "That wasn't hurtful, I was simply stating a fact." It's argumentative as if I was lying or it's my fault.

I feel for you cause it does wear on you after while.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
There ya go. This bothers you because you are insecure with yourself. If you were secure in yourself, her comments wouldn't bother you.
I know, but I try my best. I can't be secure 24/7 100%.

For the most part, they don't bother me but when she goes on and on for hours on end about her life, her job, her relationship, I'm like, okay, I don't feel so great now. And I do think she does this with a purpose, too. Because I don't take this approach. When I failed organic chemistry, she boasted about her straight As in English. When she failed Algebra, I kept my successes to myself. Shouldn't a friend be considerate of others?

When your friend gets laid off and you get a promotion, are you going to be first thing boasting about your promotion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships