Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 03:32 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,362,143 times

Advertisements

I'm a big girl now and realize that people are going to have their own beliefs regarding politics, religion even life. It makes for lively conversation to have differing views. If things become heated, that's when it's time to back down because no one really is going to change another person's mind or belief.

I do find listening to other points very interesting. Maybe it's the Libra in me that can see the multiple sides to issues.

There are a couple of things that turn me off of people. Calling others names for having a differing view. Also other things, that I don't feel belong in this thread, and have left the room when I know I will get angry.

People are people, warts and all. It's interesting. If we were all alike, it surely would be boring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 03:43 PM

35,198 posts, read 31,539,531 times
Just traveled across town and met a guy who is into small level prospecting and mining for gemstones in western North Carolina - incredibly interesting stuff for something I've never thought about.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:24 PM

15,223 posts, read 10,395,165 times
I could not be friends with someone who core beliefs were very different. I could get along with them if I had to but I wouldn't be hanging with them.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:39 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,864,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm a politically conservative Trump supporter and am in a liberal town in North Carolina right now having a few casual beers with some locals who are Sanders supporters. We're talking politics, but have a lot of similar interests otherwise, and have added each other to Facebook to hang out again.

They're little like me in many ways but we do share a few common interests. How well do you get along with people who are quite dissimilar to you?
I would say I get along okay with people who think nothing like I do to the point I can get business done with them. Unless we have one major interest in common, I'm probably not going to go out of my way to befriend them.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:39 PM

2,078 posts, read 2,027,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
only a few times I had issues,,,my brother brought a left wing nut vegan to a family holiday dinner and she went on and on about politics,,til I had to ask her to stop or leave (one rule for family dinners is no politics,,,i say this to all the guests)
she went on and on about how we were killers for being deer hunters..

my brother had to apologize for her and didn't bring her back
I too am a left wing vegan and chicks like this are either young or just plain out give conservatives the idea that all liberals are this way . Alot here know I gallop race horses for a living and have for decades and I have been attacked by PETA and other people of varying beliefs. Like you I never discuss politics or religion anywhere - and most of the time even my job..

I have a fellow liberal friend who married a very very liberal vegan lady and when they come back to the states to meet with his boss we all go out to eat and I am so nervous beforehand I am almost sick . if I hadn't known this man my entire life and our fams going back 3 generations , I would not go . He is my daughters Godfather and is a wonderful sweet man who is always so happy to see us and she is nice too but the walking on eggshells around her is very difficult and we are of the same political party .

I am liberal and like race horses and the Seahawks and thats the way it is !

People need to ( but won't) understand that everyone is different and due to lives lived will see things in all sorts of ways .

Old 10-09-2016, 05:06 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,428,055 times
if you are not close to be on the same wave length as me, I dont want anything to do with you, there some nut cases out there.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:35 PM

8,306 posts, read 8,717,353 times
I have friends with many different views. I also have things in common with them or they wouldn't be my friend.

I don't know anyone voting for Trump or Clinton. They are all voting against Trump or against Clinton. No one can honestly say they are good candidates.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:17 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,922,940 times
It depends on the person. I tend towards being a loud rebel with a low tolerance for stupid BS. I can go on some serious rants over multiple topics. I tend to either love or hate with no gray areas.

Now, if the other person is open-minded but generally a quiet non rock-the-boat type I can deal with that.

BUT if they are both quiet AND uptight and get hives from anyone who challenges the status quo and constantly chastises me for refusing to conform, then we have a problem.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:38 PM

4,241 posts, read 4,500,375 times
Usually the only way I know they are nothing like me is through conversation. As general rule I by default treat everyone courteous and politely. Once they exhibit non-compatible behaviors I usually try to avoid (boorish, strident partisan types).

As others have mentioned certain topics like politics, and religion are best avoided with strangers. Ingratiating types who insert themselves into your sphere with abrasive behaviors and personalities will be avoided and shunned.

Personally, in most any situation one on one with someone I don't know it is fine unless they show some odd behaviors that turn me off. In group socialization setting it may be easier to 'lose' a person you don't get along with but if it is a closed environment setting I grin and bear it and try to emphasize any similar interests to avoid awkward silence.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,298,594 times
My entire life has been spent among people with whom I do not share certain viewpoints or attitudes. I avoid talking politics. Unless I totally trust someone I hesitate also to discuss religious beliefs.

I think it is harder to find a good friend who has opposite beliefs about many things.

You can have a good friendship with someone who is totally different from you, but it might take extra work. And you would need to find some points of agreement.

About some things you just have to agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships