Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 01:56 PM

2,793 posts, read 1,658,291 times

Advertisements

I stay away from controversial topics and stick to small talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 07:18 PM

35,256 posts, read 31,612,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I stay away from controversial topics and stick to small talk.
I do plenty of small talk too. I can usually make small talk without about anyone.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:52 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,468,586 times
It's sad that so many Americans take the position of "politics, race, religion and social issues shouldn't be discussed." Are other countries as wimpy?

Old 10-14-2016, 12:00 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,729,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
It's sad that so many Americans take the position of "politics, race, religion and social issues shouldn't be discussed." Are other countries as wimpy?
Nobody said that all. What was said is you don't discuss politics, religion, etc with people you just met.

Certainly shouldn't do it in a work environment or with people you do business with and bringing up Trump or Clinton could impact your wallet or your promotion if they have a different view.

I gave an example of this same scenario I witnessed earlier in this thread. The kicker was no one was taking politics. Someone mentioned taking a trip out of the country and this computer guy(who is dependent on the business owner as a client) says "good idea if Trump gets in". The business owner(you know their client who pays them) said "he's my guy"....awkward silence.

Get it now?

Of course Americans talk politics and religion, but the smart ones don't do it in situations that aren't appropriate.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:02 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,324,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Actually, it's not considered to be polite in most parts of the world.

Here's the thing. It's okay to talk a little about politics. Talking a lot about politics doesn't make you deep or enlightened or informed. It just makes you a bore.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:19 PM

9,326 posts, read 4,167,530 times
I get along fine with dissimilar people, but that would probably be excluding extreme politics. Sorry, but I can't imagine being friends with a Trump supporter, not because I'm so contemptuous of Trump himself, but because of what it implies to me about his supporters. Of course, that wouldn't preclude being pleasant, but I don't think it could progress to a real friendship. I do, in fact, have a close friend who's a conservative Republican, but he's a guy who has poor judgment in many areas of his life, so I just consider it to be all of a piece.

Old 10-15-2016, 03:56 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,468,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Nobody said that all. What was said is you don't discuss politics, religion, etc with people you just met.

Certainly shouldn't do it in a work environment or with people you do business with and bringing up Trump or Clinton could impact your wallet or your promotion if they have a different view.

I gave an example of this same scenario I witnessed earlier in this thread. The kicker was no one was taking politics. Someone mentioned taking a trip out of the country and this computer guy(who is dependent on the business owner as a client) says "good idea if Trump gets in". The business owner(you know their client who pays them) said "he's my guy"....awkward silence.

Get it now?

Of course Americans talk politics and religion, but the smart ones don't do it in situations that aren't appropriate.
You need to open up your heart.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:43 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,525,518 times
I have several friend who are very different than I am. With some of them, we can engage in spirited discussions around our differing beliefs. With others, we just avoid those topics. I would get supremely bored if all my friends had the same interests and beliefs. My husband and I have a lot in common, but we also have a lot *not* in common. Sameness is boring all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships