Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 06:51 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,366,403 times

Advertisements

They're acquaintances if I have to deal with them and remain civil to them. And respect their beliefs. I don't care if they share their beliefs but trying to convert someone isn't gonna gain you very many friends and be liked by others
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 07:54 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,409,246 times
Sure, I can get along VERY well with people I have nothing in common with...but it'll be VERY superficial...so what is the point unless I am just wanting to kill a little time or I'm forced to socialize with them for work or something?

Old 10-11-2016, 08:45 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,366,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Sure, I can get along VERY well with people I have nothing in common with...but it'll be VERY superficial...so what is the point unless I am just wanting to kill a little time or I'm forced to socialize with them for work or something?
Exactly. such as talking about the weather

Old 10-11-2016, 10:49 AM

16,300 posts, read 10,446,953 times
I have a very conservative friend, we agree to simply not talk politics. It's been working for 20 years.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:39 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,574,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I Played golf this morning and we are mostly men that don't have to worry about every word we say
but we stay away from race, politics and religion..

I get along with most all..... live by the golden rule,,,you usually get what you give

only a few times I had issues,,,my brother brought a left wing nut vegan to a family holiday dinner and she went on and on about politics,,til I had to ask her to stop or leave (one rule for family dinners is no politics,,,i say this to all the guests)
she went on and on about how we were killers for being deer hunters..

my brother had to apologize for her and didn't bring her back
Exactly

Old 10-11-2016, 11:41 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,007,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm a politically conservative Trump supporter and am in a liberal town in North Carolina right now having a few casual beers with some locals who are Sanders supporters. We're talking politics, but have a lot of similar interests otherwise, and have added each other to Facebook to hang out again.

They're little like me in many ways but we do share a few common interests. How well do you get along with people who are quite dissimilar to you?
I get along with them OK, until something - anything - that touches on their whackadoodle politics or religion comes up, and it becomes clear I don't agree just because I don't respond as they'd expect if I did agree, and then there are awkward feelings and after that, a lack of trust.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:10 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,980,361 times
I generally get along well with anyone who is a decent, interesting person despite what their politics are IF they able to rationally discuss issues, etc. (i.e. not just launch into accusations, and cruel rhetoric). I like to discuss politics or anything actually - whatever comes up - and I won't go out of my way to raise the subject but if raised, I am happy to talk and, most importantly, listen. I want to hear other people's views. I usually learn something if everyone stays calm and rational.

I wouldn't, especially with strangers, launch into a political diatribe or even ask a politically hot question but I won't avoid things either so if the rule is 'no one is allowed discuss this or that or whatever here' .. I am not likely to be there .. that makes me uncomfortable. I am never sure what, in that kind of environment, I might say inadvertently that will set the other person(s) off .. not going there. I am who I am .. I hope they will be who they are .. and I hope we can learn from each other .. whether it is about cooking or sewing or work or politics or religion or any subject. Good conversation for me often flows into many areas of life - and may indeed touch on 'touchy subjects' but that is not a bad thing. It also moves on pretty quickly in most cases so I don't see any point in getting too anal about that subject or any other.

(p.s. I am talking about a casual discussion with acquaintances. I could never be married to someone who didn't share my political views - different thing. I would never avoid any such conversation of that type with a spouse either, and even if we were politically aligned, we may have differences of opinion too.)

Old 10-11-2016, 12:16 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,813,463 times
I can just about get along with anybody as long as you're not a rectum. I despise mean people with hostile attitudes. It doesn't bother me if you disagree with me and I don't understand why people take that concept so personally. I don't see the need in becoming hostile, and disrespectful over it. We all have certain parameters we can and can't live by and I guess mine would be about having rectums around. Be nice or go home.

I like diverse, different people with different opinions and ways of doing things. I find that it's the best way to grow as a person and broaden your horizons.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:48 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,666,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree. I do not discuss politics with people unless I know them well.

And I agree. Never at work.

And at a bar with people who you barely know? I'd avoid that, situation at all costs.

Politics belongs with "sex and religion" - delicate subjects that are best discussed with your spouse, significant other, or people who share your beliefs.

There are so many other things to discuss with new acquaintances.
Absolutely.

Ironically I just saw an example of this yesterday.

Two people who have a business relationship(one owns a store and the other provides IT support and manages the store's website).

Out of the blue the computer guy makes a derogatory comment about one of the Presidential candidates, had nothing to do with the current conversation at all.Well turns out that's who the business owner is supporting.....LOL. They didn't make an issue of it but it was awkward.

I thought to myself how stupid of the computer guy to say something to someone who pays him for his services. They're not friends, and he relies on this client to pay him.

I'm always amazed at people who say things like that around people they don't know well and especially in a working relationship where your big mouth could impact your wallet.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:20 PM

926 posts, read 754,675 times
Does it count if the people in question are family members? Saying this because I was just thinking the other day about how I barely know my "Uncle Justin's" four kids......we'd get along fine if we met in person, but really wouldn't have much to say to each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships