Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 09:56 PM

749 posts, read 856,750 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

There is this girl my np clinical group. From the beginning I have been friendly but neutral with her as I have been with my other female classmates. On 2 occasions now she asked for my lecture recordings, justifying her request by "I was sitting far", "I deleted it on accident", "I arrived late", "I forgot my phone at home" and who knows what else. Today she texted me again requesting for me to send her my recordings. I typically do not mind helping out a classmate however the repetition, I confess, is starting to get me a little annoyed. I need to interrupt whatever I am doing to upload the file to my cloud before sending it to her and the whole process takes a little bit of my time. She is the quiet and reserved type and I don't want to be mean to her. Should I say no the next time she asks?

Last edited by seixal; 10-24-2016 at 10:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 02:18 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
I would say no the next time. I went back to college in my 40's and the younger students thought I'd want to give them my notes. In my case, I never said yes. I just said, I'm sorry, I don't share my notes. I never explained why.

The easy thing to do in the future, is just say you don't want to do it anymore, and you suggest she find a way to get the recordings, but you aren't going to give them to her anymore.

You have no obligation to do your work - and hers. And, if you help this lazy girl to get a better grade, you just hurt yourself if the grades are on a curve.

She's taking advantage of your good nature. Time to learn how to say no. "Sorry, but I don't want to do that anymore." It will feel empowering.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:18 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,835,714 times
You have no obligation to do your work - and hers.

Pretty much this. Once for someone in a real bind yes, otherwise, no.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:23 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
ignore her text...or give her back what she gives you...(I deleted it on accident'.."I was sitting far"...'I forgot my phone at home").....
quiet and reserved or not, she's still using you.

You could also text her one time and ask HER to text YOU her lecture recordings...see what becomes of that!

Old 10-25-2016, 07:38 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,603,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
ignore her text...or give her back what she gives you...(I deleted it on accident'.."I was sitting far"...'I forgot my phone at home").....

You could also text her one time and ask HER to text YOU her lecture recordings...see what becomes of that!

I like this idea!

Old 10-25-2016, 07:51 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
"Oh, I was going to ask you for your recording. I guess we're both out of luck."

Exact same reply every.single.time. she requests. She'll get the hint.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:59 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,709,460 times
Whenever people constantly ask for favors, I eventually stop talking to them at all.

One example is a former friend of mine. She moved away and kept wanting me to ship things to her in the mail, and also wanted me to run errands for her, like shopping for stuff and mailing it to her. I refused almost every time and then I blocked her emails permanently. The way I see it, the friendship was pretty much over when she moved far away and also she just viewed me as someone she could use.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:13 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post

Great idea. I do this when people ask me for money. I tell them I was going to ask THEM for money.

Stops them in their tracks.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:59 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
OP, she likes you. She's trying to get something started with you. If you're single and feel like there would be no harm in getting to know her a little, ask her to coffee. If not, you can casually mention your girlfriend (even if you don't have one). That should stop the requests.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:24 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,458,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, she likes you. She's trying to get something started with you. If you're single and feel like there would be no harm in getting to know her a little, ask her to coffee. If not, you can casually mention your girlfriend (even if you don't have one). That should stop the requests.
THIS. Op, you're annoyed by the requests, so you obviously do not like her. So, I think you already have your answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships