Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 11:27 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,680,984 times

Advertisements

No. No way, no how. She's being a brat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 12:28 PM

633 posts, read 642,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Just from a general knowledge of the system, she was arrested because they had a warrant for her arrest. Anything else would be speculation, but if I were to speculate on the 3-month time frame, I bet she skipped a court appearance on the traffic citation.

This was my thinking. Although...

Quote:
I don't know how exactly it went down but she was supposed to pay off the insurance or something, I do remember her getting a letter in the mail (I got the mail that day) and she opened it and said something to the effect of "I need to pay this? It's not my fault!". And in the past I know she has had issues paying debts and such, sometimes getting her to pay her half of rent/bills is a pain so it did not at all shock me. Anyway, as mad as she was she got out of jail pretty fast, her mother just went to the jail, paid what she owed and she was right out.

It's possible that her insurance had lapsed or wasn't active. Not all states REQUIRE drivers to carry insurance. Even in some that do, it can take a while before the state catches on that you aren't carrying an active policy and revokes your license.

If she had an active policy, liability insurance (which is the bare minimum) would cover damage to other vehicles or property whether it was her fault or not. Her being shocked that she had to pay something means either she got a traffic citation in the mail (which would only really be true if a cop wrote you that citation when the accident occurred) ignored it, and was issued a warrant- or the city tried to pursue her insurance company for damages, her insurance was found to be lapsed/invalid, and she got a citation to pay for the damages out of pocket.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:49 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,683,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweekansas View Post
My car was in the shop at the time so I needed a ride. Also, not sure if it matters but the vehicle she ran into was a city work vehicle.
You're a world of information.....LOL.

Was she tailgating, hit a parked car, did she have insurance? You were there, what exactly went down and did the police show up?

Sounds like(of course you have to ask) that visit by the cops was a separate issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
That really doesn't make a difference. You didn't bother to ask the cops or your roommate why she was being sought? You may be *just roommates*, but for something like this, in which my life is intruded upon by her bad behavior, I would absolutely insist I know what is going on. Or do you not care that your roommate has engaged in something that results in a warrant for her arrest? They don't show up at your house for a simple traffic violation, ya know?

Exactly, amazing isn't it. I'm guessing the poster is young and probably texts all day about nonsense, but when it comes to vital information doesn't bother much.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:56 PM

757 posts, read 841,824 times
Cop asked simple question and got simple answers. End of story. However, if a cop comes and asks "r u John Doe?" Then you must ID yourself and end the conversation until you have a lawyer. Cops are not your friends. They have no obligation to be HONEST with you. Your best bet is say nothing. I realize this is addendum to the OP situation but just in case.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:25 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,952,737 times
Personally i think you were in the wrong. I would not have told the police where she works.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:48 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,913,334 times
Good god no. Its illegal to lie to the police. If they asked me where my own husband worked I would have told them.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:33 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,683,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Good god no. Its illegal to lie to the police. If they asked me where my own husband worked I would have told them.
But it's legal for the police to lie to you.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:11 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,952,737 times
Quote:
Wow- I guess you don't believe in being loyal to your husband.

Also, no need to lie, either. I would just refuse to tell them.

Old 11-14-2016, 03:59 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,173,887 times
You weren't in the wrong at all. If the roommate was someone I liked I might have pretended not to know where he/she was....that's a very special level of treament , however, only reserved for people who are important to me. I would only expect the same treatment from my fiance or my dad.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:02 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,173,887 times
Quote:
If that is your mindset you could always choose to remain silent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships