Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 09:48 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,574,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I beg my family for gift cards! Starbucks, Barnes&Noble, etc. I have waaaay too much "stuff." Let me treat myself to a drink or book!
My favorite gift from my husband is time shopping with him. So for the last few years, we go to the mall after the holidays and hit up Barnes & Noble and the after-Christmas sales.
So yay Barnes & Noble and Starbucks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 09:50 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,555,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I understand why people resort to trading gift cards, I just don't see the point of it. Once you stop having to think about the needs/wants/likes of the recipient, why continue to exchange gifts at all?

I decided this year to just skip the whole thing. It has no religious significance for us. My sons have all they want or need, as do myself and my husband. So I asked them if they would rather take a trip together after the holidays, and they enthusiastically agreed. I'm not putting up a tree, decorating the house, or baking a single cookie. I feel free!
This is pretty much where I've been at the past few years. I am not Christian, and I tend to think of Christmas as more of a holiday for kids (Santa, stockings, etc)

I think its why I've always preferred Thanksgiving - its just food - no gifts, no decorations, just yummy yummy food.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:57 PM

469 posts, read 399,128 times
I started getting people experiences rather than material gifts. Think tickets to a concert, dinner at a new restaurant, tickets to whale-watching, cirque du soleil, a book of movie vouchers, etc. After a certain age people don't need more stuff, but sharing experiences is fun and creates good memories.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:22 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,552,037 times
I'd love cookies, candy, coffee, tea, wine, and good beer. Oh, and something with my favorite team's logo.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:33 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,978,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Come on now, don't be like the Grinch who stole Christmas. Just do a mini version of everything.
For who? My kids aren't little, they're in their 20s. They can spend the day with their girlfriends. I wouldn't have made the decision without their input or if I felt they were going along with the idea just to make me happy. They said they loved the travel plan.

I'll send a gift to my mother, and to our grandson.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:28 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
You can give small gifts, like an unusual flavor of jam (import stores like Cost Plus are good for that), a book you think they'd enjoy, maybe a magazine subscription, some interesting tea flavors if they're tea drinkers, with or without a decorative teapot, an artistic coffee mug (Chinese or Japanese ones are aesthetic, often colorful, and exotic). I used to get the teens in the extended family a gift card to a music C-D shop.

Old 11-20-2016, 02:37 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,212,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
...So, I'm at a stumper. What do you get someone who's got just about everything? I'm actually the same way - I've got just about everything I've wanted.
Donate some money to a charity in their name. Or make single donation in the name of all of those who have everything they need.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:47 AM

619 posts, read 576,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I understand why people resort to trading gift cards, I just don't see the point of it. Once you stop having to think about the needs/wants/likes of the recipient, why continue to exchange gifts at all?

I decided this year to just skip the whole thing. It has no religious significance for us. My sons have all they want or need, as do myself and my husband. So I asked them if they would rather take a trip together after the holidays, and they enthusiastically agreed. I'm not putting up a tree, decorating the house, or baking a single cookie. I feel free!
I agree with you. To be fair, I don't celebrate Christmas, and even stopped celebrating the holidays related to *my* religion. I don't see anything wrong with a family getting together and putting the kibosh on gift exchange, or buy toys for "toys for tots" or do a secret Santa kind of thing (each person buys for/gets from one family member). I'm not a fan of the "donate to my favorite charity in your name" but if that works for you, then by all means.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:01 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,852,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Come on now, don't be like the Grinch who stole Christmas. Just do a mini version of everything.
Just because someone doesnt do Christmas, doesnt make them a Grinch. I HATE this time of year because we DONT do Thanksgiving or Christmas and people assume we do...it makes it hard on US. " Oh, whats Santa bringing you" while standing in line.." We dont celebrate Christmas" and then we get that glare.

I agree with Mattie..why do a small version? Just because tradition says to?

Old 11-20-2016, 04:47 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,964,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Just because someone doesnt do Christmas, doesnt make them a Grinch. I HATE this time of year because we DONT do Thanksgiving or Christmas and people assume we do...it makes it hard on US. " Oh, whats Santa bringing you" while standing in line.." We dont celebrate Christmas" and then we get that glare.

I agree with Mattie..why do a small version? Just because tradition says to?

I stopped the big family celebration a few years ago. My choice. But if I happen to be standing in line and someone asked me what Santa was bringing me I wouldn't want to make them uncomfortable. Making someone uncomfortable when they are only passing time (they don't really care if Santa is bringing me anything) is being a Grinch.

"I don't think I'm getting anything from Santa, I've been really naughty". Said with a wink will elicit a smile, everybody moves on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships