Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you are of adult age, do you happen to be estranged from your mother and/or your father?
Yes 47 51.65%
No 44 48.35%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 02:35 PM

8,274 posts, read 8,666,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
No, I talk to them regularly. We had a rough patch throughout my teens and 20s but we all grew out of it and get along great now. You only got one set of parents (usually), so you better make the best out of it if possible.
I wonder how many had the rough patch like most do and never got over it. Many times when I hear about people being estranged from their parents since they were 22 it makes me think the kids never grew up. Most of the people I know aren't the same now as they were at that age and neither are their parents.

I am not talking about abusive relationships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 02:44 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,895,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I wonder how many had the rough patch like most do and never got over it. Many times when I hear about people being estranged from their parents since they were 22 it makes me think the kids never grew up. Most of the people I know aren't the same now as they were at that age and neither are their parents.

I am not talking about abusive relationships.
Ho do you know those 22 year olds weren't abused? Or maybe their parents are miserable people. Maybe they just got away as soon as they could?

Old 11-28-2016, 02:50 PM

2,280 posts, read 1,675,051 times
No, my parents were supportive, loving and kind - I miss them everyday but was lucky to have them live into their 90s.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:57 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,981,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I wonder how many had the rough patch like most do and never got over it. Many times when I hear about people being estranged from their parents since they were 22 it makes me think the kids never grew up.
Seems like you need to thinksomemore. And maybe do some reading on personality disorders.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:58 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,212,300 times
I have been estranged from my father for at least 25 years. I still communicate some with his sisters and other relatives from his side of the family, but not him.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:04 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,239,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Ho do you know those 22 year olds weren't abused? Or maybe their parents are miserable people. Maybe they just got away as soon as they could?
^^This.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:13 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,742,840 times
Honesty time: stuff was never peachy (single parent) and my stubborn, well our stubborn personalities. Then I grew up, Air Force, graduated college in 2 years, had time on gi bill and a few more years, picked up a couple more degrees. Shining beacon of a son... yet she and my now step dad (married after I moved out) didn't quite know I was a raving drunk. Then troubles. Managed somehow to get to Vegas relatively unscathed legally and disappeared for 3 years. Got through that and 9-11... so I got a recall and a 1 year tour on my c-130s. Finished, sober, went into healthcare and made immense strides for 11.5 years. Then 2013... relapse, sober, relapse, sober. Fair to say, I pissed it all away. Over the last 2.5 I've had moments of making great money and moments of sleeping on park benches.

Well I'm going away for a 30 day inpatient stay for myself first but also, my mom and step dad and step sister don't need to bury me. Are we estranged? Oh heck yeah. I can't fix my screw ups with words but maybe I can in time as they deserve better and I brought this on. Not trying to be a thread hog. But if my screw up can help at least one person, I'll share my weakness.

Merry Christmas all!

Old 11-28-2016, 03:41 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,325,472 times
I've been estranged from my mother for the second time, going on 4 years now. She's always singled me out from my siblings as irrelevant and unworthy. Even though we haven't had a conversation in years, she still makes tremendous effort to slander my name among other family members and friends.

I wish I'd known 20 years ago what I know now... the chick is whack and it is she who is irrelevant to me and unworthy of my time and attention.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:46 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,027,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
You need more options on your poll

I was, for several years, estranged from both my parents. Over the past few months I started contact again. I guess they are old and I feel kind of bad about them mostly being on their own. But its coming back to bite me because I am dealing with a lot of anxiety and anger again, just from little "nothing" comments from them and them not remember the abuse they put me through...or claiming not to remember. It actually makes me super mad and I am having trouble sleeping because of anger and anxiety from it.

I don't know...I hope I can balance somehow keeping contact (and the good parts of them) and dealing with my feelings about who they are.

My parents are not allowed contact with my children and my husband chooses not to have contact. And the only contact we have is occasional calls. So we are kind of in the middle, so I didn't do the poll.
Yes I should have added more options. I hope you put yourself first and not hurt your own health by dealing with anxiety over them. After all of this time it is still occuring so my guess is, they are pretty sick people. Best of luck to you

Old 11-28-2016, 03:47 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,027,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Yes. One for 31 years, the other for 20 years. No complaints.
Wow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships