Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you glad you had children? This is a private poll for any parent with 1+ children
yes 141 78.77%
no 38 21.23%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 04:10 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,336,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
I can't imagine a life without children. I've done many things in my life that I enjoyed and found rewarding but nothing comes close to being a parent.
I voted YES! No, it's not easy at times but it is not always difficult either. For me, the good far outweighs any difficulties which come with the territory!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 04:17 PM

506 posts, read 653,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
Are you glad you had children? This is a poll for any parent with one or more children.

Here goes: I am so happy I had my second daughter. She's a little snobby and bratty but oh, so popular , beautiful, thoughtful and perfectionistic. She has raised kids that are scrupulously clean, helpful, love church, think of others and are popular.
My first daughter has had a very negative impact on my life. She's a total loser, bipolar, drug user for decades, can't stand to be without a man for a day, spends her life mooching off others for food and looks older than I do. She is so disliked that last month someone stole her front door. They even stole all the copper wire leading from her hot water heater. She is rude, hangs up on me, gave me bleeding ulcers and I was hospitalized, steals, is manic and paranoid. I wish I could think of one thing I like about her.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:32 PM

8,092 posts, read 10,691,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I think most of those who regret becoming parents really regret the circumstances around that fact.
While I commend your sense of responsibility as a parent, I don't agree with this statement. There are many of us out here divorced from the other parent of our children, that may regret the relationship and marriage, but wouldn't give our kids back, or change who they are, for anything in the world.

I also know people with "accidental" children, often conceived under the least optimum of circumstance, for whom those "accidents" turned out to be wonderful blessings.

Not all of our lives play out perfectly. That doesn't mean only those with perfect situations should have kids.

Admittedly, many have babies that flat out shouldn't, and often for the wrong reasons. With that I agree with you completely. I have relatives that are foster parents to kids that were conceived for no other reason then to gain access to social benefits, even though there was no thought as to actually wanting to be responsible for the children once they go here, etc.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:05 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,272,018 times
Normal parents always want the best for their kids. And therefore it's not possible to really wish you never had them. Because, if your wish came true, they wouldn't exist. And that contradicts wanting the best for them.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:11 PM

447 posts, read 490,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The kind who had children who drove a wedge into her marriage because her husband would never discipline them. The kind who has a 29 year old son who was a drug addict from 15-25 and even though he's clean has now chosen to drink heavily and drive without a license due to a DUI. The kind of person who is forced to live with him because he doesn't make enough money on SSDI to survive.

What kind of person would say that? The kind who loves her kids but realizes her life would have been so much better off without this particular son. The kind who feels she has a handicapped child because all he does is sit in his room all day smoking, drinking and watching TV. The kind that always wonders if I should have done more or should I have done less to help him.

What kind of a person would say that? The kind who has considered suicide on more than one occasion because all of this is too painful to watch and live through, who has become a widow and had to deal with cancer 8 months later. The kind that realizes she will never have any peace in her life and who, even on her death bed, is going to worry about this son because nobody and I mean nobody wants to deal with him or have him live with them. Right now in his room on the night table are 16 empty beer cans and liquor bottles along with overflowing ashtrays. He has spent the weekend with his female friend and his daughter. Oh yes, did I mention he has a daughter that I have to take care of most weekends because he is sleeping off his hangover?

So before people peg anybody who says they regret having children as some horrible person, think about what YOUR life would be like if you had a child who was a drug addict, a thief, a prostitute, a pedophile or any number of horrible things your child could have been. And it's not always the parents' fault. My son was the typical stupid 15 year old who thought he would be the exception that could use drugs and not get hooked. He learned the hard way. He had so much potential and he threw it all away. It brings me to tears just writing this because, as you know, I am a horrible person for even wishing for a moment that I didn't have kids.

I'm so sorry. Even I'm not a hugging person, I would just hug you right now. Even I never regret having my children I do relate with my share of pain and tears. It's definitely not easy.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:58 PM

13,296 posts, read 8,516,604 times
I was meant to be a mom just didn't have all the right skills....took 18 years to understand I didn't really do such a great job. My son's though would say different...

They truly are worth every wept tear and sense of humble pride

Old 11-28-2016, 07:45 PM

516 posts, read 431,374 times
When I was 21 and my girlfriend (now wife were going together, we had LOTS of unprotected sex. It was incredible. We spent every moment we could together. We ended up accidentally conceiving our first daughter about a year and 1/2 after we started going out. When we discovered the pregnancy we were excited and promised each other we would devote our lives to this baby. Fast forward 10 years later and we are still together (married 8 months after conception) and have 3 children now. The entire experience has forced us to grow up and take responsibility for ourselves. I have found myself motivated to achieve goals I never thought possible. Parenting is an extreme responsibility not to be taken lightly.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:49 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,031,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmark View Post
When I was 21 and my girlfriend (now wife were going together, we had LOTS of unprotected sex. It was incredible. We spent every moment we could together. We ended up accidentally conceiving our first daughter about a year and 1/2 after we started going out. When we discovered the pregnancy we were excited and promised each other we would devote our lives to this baby. Fast forward 10 years later and we are still together (married 8 months after conception) and have 3 children now. The entire experience has forced us to grow up and take responsibility for ourselves. I have found myself motivated to achieve goals I never thought possible. Parenting is an extreme responsibility not to be taken lightly.
Glad to hear it. You both worked very hard to make it happen

Old 11-28-2016, 08:33 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,928,747 times
Our kids are still under 10 but we still watch their old videos all the time. It will never get old - that's why we have 3 backup copies to make sure they will never be lost.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:44 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,248,907 times
Of course, how else do you get grand kids?

I loved having kids more, when they were home though. Some people can't wait until their kids are grown, I wish mine were still teens.

{{{hugs}}} to Chiluvr & Susan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships