Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 10:03 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,363,873 times

Advertisements

Ever been in a cluster of people you knew, only to quietly remove yourself?
I was at a get-together, winding down after an extraordinarily rough week.. Saw some friends, said hello, engaged in some casual conversation. After a time they drifted off, talking with others. Okay, that's fine. But after a bit of time, I started to feel that I wasn't of them, but rather among them. I don't know what got me to feeling that way, but without a word to anyone, I just went out, got in my car, and left.
Incidentally, not one of them texted or called to ask where I was.
Very uncomfortable? Or selfishness on my part?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 01:05 AM

775 posts, read 780,283 times
You took care of yourself. That trumps whatever the others say or don't say.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:47 AM

If I'm not feeling comfortable where I am, I leave. I've got better things to do than to be someplace where I feel unwanted!

Old 12-03-2016, 08:31 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,113,114 times
So what stopped you from driving off to talk to others? Sounds like you're trying to feel sorry for yourself by saying they ignored you. They didn't ignore you...the norm for a get together is to mingle and chat with everyone.

Why should they call or text you if you chose to leave on your own?

Old 12-03-2016, 08:33 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,113,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
If I'm not feeling comfortable where I am, I leave. I've got better things to do than to be someplace where I feel unwanted!
no one made the op feel unwanted other than the op.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
And how do you know this? Were you there??? Did you see what transpired???
Don't be so damn judgmental unless you were there to see what happened!

Old 12-03-2016, 08:50 AM

1,865 posts, read 1,664,286 times
I don't think it was "selfish" at all; you read the social/behavioral cues and made a decision. That decision seemed to be right based on your mention of no contact from the others afterwards. I have been there too - I would guess everyone has - where my "part" in the group wasn't really seeming that essential anymore and I move on.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:03 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,931,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
And how do you know this? Were you there??? Did you see what transpired???
Don't be so damn judgmental unless you were there to see what happened!
Sometimes both are true. I often feel excluded, and have to remind myself to look at it from the outside--were they really snubbing me, or is it my own insecurities or biases framing the situation like that. This makes it both the other people ignoring me (this happens all the time in social situations--we just don't notice it because we move on to other people/are able to follow the interactions/recognize subtle social clues/etc.) and for me to be the cause of my own discomfort (reading way to much into situations and letting previous, unconnected interactions color how I'm seeing the current situation).

In the end, it doesn't matter, because that is how you felt, and I think you did the right thing. But don't hold it against your friends, especially if this is a new development. Most likely, it was because you had a hard week.

I would check in with them--they might be confused or upset because they thought you left them in the cold.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:08 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,814,387 times
You left in anger without saying goodbye. Pretty rude. I wouldn't go chasing after you either. Nor would I be inviting you to any other "get togethers."

You are your own worst enemy.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:24 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,930,313 times
I don't think its selfish, but a bit melodramatic and immature.

Say your goodbyes, head out. Or find a way to get in the conversation. Find another person on the outskirts and strike up a convo.

Slinking out and brooding over no one making contact with your sudden leaving is not mature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships