Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 05:54 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,375,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Sure....maybe part of the OP's issue though is that they never play a different game that he would like more, so he's always on the outside with this group. That gives him the impression that maybe they don't care much about whether he enjoys himself or not. If there are so many games then why can't they mix it up a little? THAT seems a bit rude if it goes on over a long enough time. OP maybe can try to find some other folks or some meetup that does other games to balance out his current circle.
Yeah, I agree. That would be annoying if it was the same groups of people. But he also said it's even with different groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
OP here. I'm not suggesting it's odd/unusual that I dislike something that others do. My original intent was simply to find out if there were others who shared my dislike in this case, because it seems like everyone I encounter loves this game.

My real issue here is that it seems like any time I get together with a new group of people for games, I end up sitting out while they play this one. It's not always the same people either. My closest friends probably wouldn't enjoy this either, but then again some of them don't care for games in general. So the problem becomes, I struggle to find anybody to play games with, and then when I find some people I end up sitting out and it's frustrating.
I definitely know people who do not like the game.

Are these gaming groups the same types of people? Honestly, my husband goes to a few gaming groups and they almost never play that game but they are more into things like Dominion. (Not sure what you're into.) Have you thought about starting up your own type of Meet Up group or something so that you can sort of have some say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 03:07 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,413,404 times
I love it, but I see how it would make some people uncomfortable. With an educated group, I think the less PC cards and permutations can lead to some interesting discussions. That said, I am painfully aware of the concept of "white privilege" when I play it.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:11 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,002,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I love it, but I see how it would make some people uncomfortable. With an educated group, I think the less PC cards and permutations can lead to some interesting discussions. That said, I am painfully aware of the concept of "white privilege" when I play it.
I loved the conversations it started, and it gave some interesting insight into the people playing.

I'm missing something though, how does white privilege play into it?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-08-2016, 09:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,948,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Yeah, I agree. That would be annoying if it was the same groups of people. But he also said it's even with different groups.

I definitely know people who do not like the game.

Are these gaming groups the same types of people? Honestly, my husband goes to a few gaming groups and they almost never play that game but they are more into things like Dominion. (Not sure what you're into.) Have you thought about starting up your own type of Meet Up group or something so that you can sort of have some say?
I'd also ask the OP if there is a game store in his city. We have several and most host game nights where anyone can go with a theme of the night and a lot of tables. One store offers cheap rentals ($2/day, $4 minimum) and that is a good way to bring something new to a party.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I loved the conversations it started, and it gave some interesting insight into the people playing.

I'm missing something though, how does white privilege play into it?
CAH was invented by white, educated progressives for other ones. Those cards are really tailored for people who likely watch Potlandia, identified with Nirvana, grunge or hipster culture.

It is aimed at a certain subset of people, not mainstream American culture or even "non-white" culture. It never says something like:
Blank is a bestseller at Applebee's
The preacher's sermon derailed when he talked about blank

Old 12-09-2016, 09:26 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,002,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
CAH was invented by white, educated progressives for other ones. Those cards are really tailored for people who likely watch Potlandia, identified with Nirvana, grunge or hipster culture.

It is aimed at a certain subset of people, not mainstream American culture or even "non-white" culture. It never says something like:
Blank is a bestseller at Applebee's
The preacher's sermon derailed when he talked about blank

Huh. Well most of us are tinted, so I guess we are not the target audience.

Our island just got our first Applebee's a couple months ago... so I have no idea of context here.

And if Potlandia is a typo, that's the BEST one ever considering the rest of the sentence!!!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-09-2016, 05:35 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,537,144 times
The first few times I played it, I thought man this is hilarious. But after a few times it becomes a one trick pony.

Pedophile joke + washed up actor.
anti-religion joke + ambiguous sex moves.
Politician + inappropriate ethnic joke.

repeat.

I can only play for an hour these days, after that I may give a mild chuckle to some of the card combos.

Some of the combos aren't funny at all. But...Every now and then we hit gold.

I find that most people who really love cards against Humanity are the types that quote movies and call it a sense of humor. They lack the intelligence to have a creative and original sense of humor so they like that cards do it for them. Also, drinking is usually involved.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Huh. Well most of us are tinted, so I guess we are not the target audience.

Our island just got our first Applebee's a couple months ago... so I have no idea of context here.

And if Potlandia is a typo, that's the BEST one ever considering the rest of the sentence!!!!
Hehehe. That was a typo and extra hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships