Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 09:30 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,944,289 times

Advertisements

I am always loosing my care keys these days. For context, I only drive 1-2x a week. I commute to the work on public transit and use my bike for most other trips. I decided it was better to take the key off, as my keyring already needs a ton of keys for daily life.

My car has the keyless entry with the sensor, so why I do drive I just leave my keys in my purse. Usually in a rear or zip pocket so it doesn't get lost. Since I don't need to pull the key out to lock the door, it is not in my hand when I get to my apartment door.

What usually happens is, I forget to pull it out of my purse when I walk in. I tend to swap purses often. I have a work backpack and several purses in the rotation.

So I end up not putting the car key with the house keys. And the next time I drive I have to replay my last week's worth of activities to figure out which purse I left it in.

I also tend to lose phone chargers for similar reasons, I tend to leave it in a bag. As a result, I just have a lot of them. There is one that is always plugged in for day to day use. One at my work desk. I leave one in my suitcase. One in my carry on back. One in my laptop bag. One in my portable battery pouch. And there is one that I bring with me that stays on my desk for other occasions. I find it is just easier to have multiples for things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Everything important goes in my purse. Then when I leave the house, I realize I changed purses yesterday and I'm missing something important
Oh yes! Happens to me too. I used to keep lotion and chapstick in every bag. Now I keep the essentials in a pouch and move the pouch along to each bag. I have doubled things where I have a pouch for small bags and big bags and keep them stocked.

This is one of the reasons I keep my travel pouch stocked up and in my suitcase and not use my day to day things. I am likely to forget. But I do suck at remembering to restock the things that run out. Like lotion or whatever.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
It doesn't work that way for many of us. I've done cashiering and I can't tell you how many times people leave behind items they paid for. It happens because exerting the necessary mental energy to do the other things AND keep up with the purchased items is just more than many people can do, or frankly should HAVE to do.
100% I lose things that I don't have the mental energy to deal with at the moment.

For example over the weekend at a party I realized I had a check I needed to cash. And I couldn't remember where I put it. I remember checking the mail, and got a card from a relative. I was surprised it had a check in it, a refund for something I didn't expect or even care about.

But that day I had a lot of stuff to do when I got home, so I put it in one of the mail stacks. And I haven't spent any time going back through that stack. So I haven't cashed the check. It has been like 2 weeks. But if I get a check with more money (let's say over $100) I am likely to have the mental energy to deposit it (via the phone app) and file it.

I find that when I am stressed, overwhelmed or have a lot going on, I don't have the mental capacity for distractions or anything unexpected.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:08 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,247,576 times
Stylus pens for my tablet. The cat loves playing with them. I'm pretty sure they're "lost" because he has a stash of them some place. Probably under the couch.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:12 AM

245 posts, read 198,075 times
I lose everything and I always get locked out of my house. My neighbor keeps and extra set for me. He is 80 and blind but he never loses them.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,239,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Here's a thought: Ever think about what would happen if, in the middle of a dark and stormy night, something would happen that would require you to exit your home but the power is out and it's pitch black and your keys/wallet/whatever is on the counter - somewhere - maybe even buried under the newspaper/mail/etc.

Putting your keys and wallet in the same dedicated place, every single time, makes it easy to grab and go, even if the house is pitch dark because of a power outage. I would add that a flashlight should also be one of those things that you can find quickly, even in the dark.

Safely out of your house, with keys and wallet, you can get in your car and go to safety, even stopping to get gas if that's a concern. Had this happen when the threat of flood from the nearby river was imminent and evacuation was mandatory.
I agree with this. I keep my keys and wallet in my purse, and my purse is habitually in the same place all the time. I finally figured out the wisdom of this by the time I was 45 years old. It took me that long. And my keys are always in the same place in a purse so they can't get lost in the purse! Incentive cards are in a special place within my purse. Gloves are always in the pockets of my coats during cold weather. Saves my sanity.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:54 PM

10,121 posts, read 6,475,894 times
I lose stamps ( had a new packet of them on the front seat of the van and they vanished overnight), and my pruners. I did several boxwood workshops this month to accumulate hours as a Master Gardener and left my pruners behind at both. Fortunately I had marked them with my name and the coordinator found them!

Old 12-23-2016, 11:43 AM

710 posts, read 580,880 times
I am pretty organized, but I do have a problem finding scissors when I need them. I can never find any when I need them.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:25 PM

19,163 posts, read 25,415,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey27520 View Post
I am pretty organized, but I do have a problem finding scissors when I need them. I can never find any when I need them.
IMHO, scissors are no different from any other household object in that they need to be consistently left in the same place, rather than being scattered at random throughout the house.

In my left-hand kitchen "junk drawer", I keep a pair of scissors for cutting coupons and such.
On the opposite side of the kitchen, I keep the shears that I use exclusively for certain culinary purposes.
In a specific place in my garage, I keep the scissors that I use for cutting herbs and flowers.
Upstairs, at my desk, I have another pair of scissors that I use for paper-cutting.
In the master bath, I keep a pair of "moustache scissors".
In my closet, I keep a pair of sewing scissors for my occasional need to cut thread or fabric.

None of these scissors ever moves more than a few feet from its usual resting place, and when I am finished using them, they return to their usual resting place. What is so difficult about defining a specific location for each pair of scissors that you own, and then adhering to that placement?

Old 12-24-2016, 06:45 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,779,634 times
I misplace my car/house key set a lot, so I put a very long, bright lanyard attached to my keys. Now I usually find the keys more quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships