Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 05:10 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,743,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Although I can understand they don't want the child to feel left out, I honestly hate someone else directing me to buy a gift for someone. I think it's tacky and rude. It should be up to an individual to decide if and who she wants to purchase gifts for.

It's no wonder people go broke around the holidays. There is so much pressure to buy gifts for everyone, not exclude anyone, make sure everyone gets something equal, etc. etc. etc.

And this is EXACTLY my husbands point! Let everyone know your BF is bringing his son and leave it up to us if we give or not. My husband was probably bothered by this the most. You don't TELL someone to give a gift to someone else! This also happened to us early into our marriage. My husbands mother remarried and her new husband had kids. She would TELL us to give them presents for their birthdays and Christmas.

Also, where do you draw the line on gifts? I can't afford to buy for every single person I know. I agree this child would feel left out and a little something for him won't kill me, but really...where does the giving stop??

Last edited by CGab; 12-14-2016 at 05:20 PM..

Old 12-14-2016, 05:51 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,759,879 times
I would spend $10 on him, just so he has stuff to open and doesn't feel too out of place. I agree though that it's rude for them to ask you to buy, especially since they don't buy gifts for your daughter. I also understand the financial stress of feeling obligated to buy and buy and buy and then buy some more.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:03 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,336,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
And this is EXACTLY my husbands point! Let everyone know your BF is bringing his son and leave it up to us if we give or not. My husband was probably bothered by this the most. You don't TELL someone to give a gift to someone else!
Would it be better if your SIL had said "Hey if we're doing a gift exchange for the kids, can we please include all kids or we don't need to do a gift exchange".

Quote:
Also, where do you draw the line on gifts? I can't afford to buy for every single person I know. I agree this child would feel left out and a little something for him won't kill me, but really...where does the giving stop??
I'd draw the line at kids and not excluding them. If all I can afford is $40 then I'd split the money so I'm not excluding anyone or I wouldn't do gifts at all. Or if I couldn't resist buying one of the kids a gift I'd try to find some time other than to give then gift when I wouldn't be obviously excluding one kid.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
But then why are you have a gift-giving event at your house, if you think the gift giving is out of control? Makes no sense.

Next year, make it a "no gifts" get together. My family started doing that at one point. The focus is on food, making egg nog from scratch (spiked for the adults), making a gingerbread house, listening to Christmas music, putting on a favorite Christmas movie. Christmas doesn't require gifts in the form of a wrapped present. The gift is the event.

Is everyone giving gifts to the kids, or just you and your husband, since you're hosting the event? Everyone should bring gifts for all the kids, I should think. Is that why your husband asked the bf previously what he was getting for your daughter? I'm not sure I understand why your husband asked that.

The SIL called and "instructed" you guys to give a gift..under normal circumstances, a person wouldn't have to do that. Everyone would know that of course all kids would be included. But in this case, the SIL knew that it could not be assumed. She may have also been trying to find out if you were planning on not getting him a gift, so she could arrange for the boy not to go.

Ah, Christmas. I agree that the gift thing has gotten out of control. The kids get to where they expect gifts everywhere they go. They're getting greedy...and there's peer pressure. Not so different from us adults, huh? But my fondest memories of childhood Christmases are the egg nog, trimming the tree, the decorations, the food, listening to Christmas music and watching Christmas movies as a family. Although I do remember a few Christmas gifts that stayed with me.

The get-together is not at my house it's at my mother in-laws. The only people who get gifts are my MIL and her husband and the kids; however, it was just brought to our attention today that my SIL would be bringing her BF and his son to our family get -together this Saturday. The kids get gifts from their grandmother and their aunts and uncles. The only reason why the boy will be there is because it's his fathers weekend to have him. AGAIN, I don't have an issue getting him something little, just wondering what others thought about it. My SIL didn't ask just us to buy for him, she asked her mother (my MIL) and two other siblings.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:34 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
You don't give gifts out of obligation.

You give from the heart.

Frankly, I would have included the kid without being asked. The fact the sister asked and your hubby said no makes me think very poorly of him.

Once my ex was like, "Why are you getting so-and-so something if they didn't get you anything?" I found that foul and not befitting of a truly caring generous spirit.

If gift giving is reduced to gift exchanging, why don't we just pass around the same $50 bill back and forth? Then everyone can be happy and much less work.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:36 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
And this is EXACTLY my husbands point! Let everyone know your BF is bringing his son and leave it up to us if we give or not. My husband was probably bothered by this the most. You don't TELL someone to give a gift to someone else! ??
They probably knew him and his attitude up front. Also, it's called communication. The fact that he's reacting like this tells a lot.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They probably knew him and his attitude up front. Also, it's called communication. The fact that he's reacting like this tells a lot.

This is a FAMILY Christmas function so no one knew he was coming because he never has before. My SIL sent a txt out to ALL her siblings and my MIL today informing us that her boyfriend and her son where coming this Saturday and to bring a gift for her BF's son. Not, if you could or if you would like to, but to bring one. I have a child only a year younger so I already figured I would need to go buy him something as I wouldn't want him to not feel included. My husband didn't like how his sister went about it.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:04 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,700,734 times
Since this was last minute why don't the sil and boyfriend buy some gifts and put them under the tree.

It is tacky to tell people to bring a gift, anyone who wants could give a token small gift-

Old 12-14-2016, 07:04 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,593,642 times
Quote:
The get-together is not at my house it's at my mother in-laws. The only people who get gifts are my MIL and her husband and the kids; however, it was just brought to our attention today that my SIL would be bringing her BF and his son to our family get -together this Saturday. The kids get gifts from their grandmother and their aunts and uncles. The only reason why the boy will be there is because it's his fathers weekend to have him. AGAIN, I don't have an issue getting him something little, just wondering what others thought about it. My SIL didn't ask just us to buy for him, she asked her mother (my MIL) and two other siblings.
Oh, I see. It was a last minute thing. Under those circumstances, it's not good etiquette for her to have expected gifts for the boy. She should have explained to the boy the unique circumstances, that there wouldn't be time for gifts for him. Or she should have not invited them last minute, maybe. If I were in her place, I probably would not have invited the bf and his son, or I the SIL would have cancelled attendance and done something with the bf and his son.

So...when your husband asked the bf what he was getting your daughter for Christmas, it was just in general, as a general Christmas gift, and not for this party? That was an odd thing to ask. Seems as if there's a grudge there already between those two.

I would just get the kid a gift card and leave it at that. It's not fair to you, but there's a child involved, and he's not responsible. Then I would hope the SIL gets a new bf. You're already married to yours, so that's a done deal. But you're the better half, clearly...so you have to save him from himself, as I said previously.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:15 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,700,734 times
Why not just give the MIL and husband a gift and later hand out the ones for the children. Or give the gifts to the parents to give out later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships