Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 10:53 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree. I'm in my middle 60s and except for parties or dinner parties I can only recall one situation where someone offered me an alcoholic drink during a social call or casual visit, and that was decades ago. I suspect that it was because the hostess was enjoying an after dinner drink when I arrived and did want to be rude and continue drinking in front of me without offering me a drink, too.

Oops, and then there is my relative who starts drinking wine about 11 AM. I am always offered wine at his house no matter what time it is.
Wow. You really view people that way? You seem to have a jaundiced view of how, why, and how much people drink. Your hostess was enjoying a drink and felt it would be rude to not offer one to you as well. That's known in most circles as simple hospitality. Typically, my wife and I have one glass of wine each at night with dinner. Perhaps your hostess is the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 11:06 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,630,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
I'm genuinely surprised at how many people assume that everybody drinks. I drank as a college student but only as a social lubricant--I never liked the taste. I wouldn't be offended if I was given alcohol as a gift, just disappointed. I mean, I happen to like fruitcake but recognize that not everyone else does, so wouldn't give it as a present. To me, alcohol is in the same category.
One year I got a great big barrel of golf balls and I've never golfed. Isn't this the same difference? I'm sure the person that brought it knows everyone doesn't golf. I still thought it was a nice enough gift. I just handed it over to my husband that does golf.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:56 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
Most of those office gift exchanges are either re-gifted crap that nobody wants or gag gifts - no one ever gives anything good
Definitely....our team at work does a holiday lunch and afterwards a White Elephant exchange. Gives everyone a chance to get rid of some piece of junk...and no one expects to get something good so there's no griping afterwards!

Old 12-25-2016, 02:14 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree. I'm in my middle 60s and except for parties or dinner parties I can only recall one situation where someone offered me an alcoholic drink during a social call or casual visit, and that was decades ago. I suspect that it was because the hostess was enjoying an after dinner drink when I arrived and did want to be rude and continue drinking in front of me without offering me a drink, too.

Oops, and then there is my relative who starts drinking wine about 11 AM. I am always offered wine at his house no matter what time it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Depends on the time of day.

Walk into most people's homes during the late afternoon or evening, and you'll be offered a choice of drinks, from water and sodas to beer, wine, or a gin and tonic. Must be a cultural thing.
Not on my world. As I mentioned, excluding my relative who offers everyone wine when they visit, it has happened once----once---- in my entire life.

Bring offered water, yes. Soda, yes. Or maybe juice or lemonade or milk. But beer, wine or gin & tonic, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Wow. You really view people that way? You seem to have a jaundiced view of how, why, and how much people drink. Your hostess was enjoying a drink and felt it would be rude to not offer one to you as well. That's known in most circles as simple hospitality. Typically, my wife and I have one glass of wine each at night with dinner. Perhaps your hostess is the same.
I don't disagree with people drinking in their own homes, heck, I enjoy wine & beer, too. Buy, my point was that whether or not I was visiting friends, co-workers, neighbors, parents of my children's friends, no one (except that one person & my relative) ever offered me an alcoholic drink when I stopped by visit/chat/drop something off/pick something up/etc. So, I don't see it as something that "most people do" and "simple hospitality".

It is perfectly fine that where you live it is common and apparently expected. It is not common nor expected in my area.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:54 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,808,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
And even if the recipient doesn't drink, it is always nice to have for guests or to "re-gift."
My boss gave me a bottle of wine last year for Christmas. I can't stand wine and don't know anyone else who likes it, so it sat in my cupboard for a few months until I finally threw it away. Nice thought, but for me it was useless.

In regards to the original question... I generally don't like those exchanges, whether it's at work or with family/friends. Somebody always seems to get ticked off about what they got.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:48 AM

50,832 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
I'm genuinely surprised at how many people assume that everybody drinks. I drank as a college student but only as a social lubricant--I never liked the taste. I wouldn't be offended if I was given alcohol as a gift, just disappointed. I mean, I happen to like fruitcake but recognize that not everyone else does, so wouldn't give it as a present. To me, alcohol is in the same category.
I don't think anyone is suggesting it as a gift for a near-stranger. I get alcohol only for people I know drink, and normally what they like to drink....people that know me know I would love a bottle of Baileys, and My boyfriends friends know he would appreciate green apple Crown Royal. I have other friends who would like a bottle of Skinny Girl Margheritas....all of these are really nice gifts IMO. I would never bring it to a Pollyanna if I didn't know the person I had liked to drink and what they liked to drink. The poster who began the discussion said it's never an appropriate gift under any circumstances, some of us disagree with that.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:22 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,281,217 times
Quote:
I wouldn't give alcohol to a person if I didn't know for sure that they drink - but a gift grab, where it would more than likely end up with someone who wanted it? Why not?

I remember my first White Elephant was during my military career. We had everything from Slimfast to a Crown Royal gift set. There were candles, figurines, etc. The Crown Royal was the most popular gift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships