Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 09:20 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,032,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annieosage View Post
I work in an office of about 13 people. We all get along for the most part. We have potlucks every so often and this Christmas was no exception. I am the one who usually plans it so I thought a gift exchange would be nice. I was asking for everyone to email me and let me know what they wanted so I could pass that out and we had a $25 limit. A couple people did not email me so I reached out to them privately and they could not afford to do it.

We are like family here and I did not want anyone left out so I sent out an email saying let's forego the gift exchange and just eat, drink, and be merry together. Was the best potluck we ever had!

If you give with a cheerful heart and expect nothing in return there is no disappointment. Maybe my attitude has changed since this is the first Christmas I have not lost someone I love to cancer in 4 years- both in-laws, my brother, and my husband. You get to know what is real and important and what is stupid and petty.
Agreed and I am thankful I learned that lesson at a young age. I give because I want to, not because I want something in return. I can easily shop for myself and I buy myself a Christmas present every year.

I am sorry for your losses and I wish it a merry Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 10:24 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Speak for yourself. I love to receive alcohol as a gift. I consider it being thoughtful as I hate non consumable crap. I also love candles and lotto tickets. Unless someone knows me very well or shopping off a list, I am hard to buy for apparently.
I agree. People that know me know my favorite cold-weather treat is Bailey's in coffee with whipped cream..yummm...so if someone wants to bring me a $30 bottle of Bailey's, I'm all over that.

It's not like people are just handing over a six-pack and saying "Merry Christmas". They have an awesome gifts section in larger liquor stores right now, baskets with wine and cheese packed in a picnic basket, gifts that come with glasses or treats and chocolates, Margherita kits that include the booze, mixer, salt and glasses, all sorts of things that make nice, thoughtful gifts for people who like alcohol.

I wouldn't give liquor to someone I didn't know well, but if I know they like to drink, and especially if they like an expensive brand of whatever they like, I think it's a good gift. A man who likes Crown Royal or Hennessey would probably rather have a bottle of that as a gift than a tie or a shirt.

[CENTER]SaveSaveSaveSave[/CENTER]

Old 12-22-2016, 08:16 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,096 times
The funniest White Elephant exchange we ever had at work was one where you had to buy something for less than $3 at a garage sale. There were some hilarious items.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:37 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
The funniest White Elephant exchange we ever had at work was one where you had to buy something for less than $3 at a garage sale. There were some hilarious items.
That is a great idea.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:54 PM

775 posts, read 776,015 times
I like white elephant exchanges as it is not about what you leave with....it Is just hilarious to see what people come up with.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
That one actually does sound fun! Plus it would be fun to go scouring thrift shops and looking for something funny.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:26 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That one actually does sound fun! Plus it would be fun to go scouring thrift shops and looking for something funny.

Yeah, I found some sort of sculpture that had a huge granite rock base and razor-sharp spikes of metal sticking out of it and bargained it down to $2. I stuck marshmallows on all the spikes and put it in a box that was about 3'x3' and wrapped it up. Everyone was scared to death to choose it because they saw me staggering in with it and knew it was going to be something awful (I had a reputation, unfortunately). The person who ended up with it was actually quite taken with it......last I heard, he was planning to re-wrap it and give it to his mother-in-law for Christmas.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:40 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,604,363 times
I don't participate in office gift exchanges. We didn't even have one this year because apparently not enough people were interested. I know I declined immediately when the subject came up, and I guess I wasn't the only one. lol

Old 12-23-2016, 08:39 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Baby View Post
I like white elephant exchanges as it is not about what you leave with....it Is just hilarious to see what people come up with.
I also enjoy white elephant exchanges, as long as everyone understands what they are. Both my daughter and I have attended WEE where one or more people brought serious, nice, expensive gifts to exchange not realizing the joke or silly theme.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I found some sort of sculpture that had a huge granite rock base and razor-sharp spikes of metal sticking out of it and bargained it down to $2. I stuck marshmallows on all the spikes and put it in a box that was about 3'x3' and wrapped it up. Everyone was scared to death to choose it because they saw me staggering in with it and knew it was going to be something awful (I had a reputation, unfortunately). The person who ended up with it was actually quite taken with it......last I heard, he was planning to re-wrap it and give it to his mother-in-law for Christmas.
That's awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships