Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 07:25 PM

509 posts, read 554,773 times

Advertisements

If they are organized well they can be great.

My old office had specific rules which helped to avoid the situation the OP presented.
One year it was bring in a gift a day for a week and each one HAD to cost $5.
Another year we were given a certain theme(wine, chocolate and a book), a few times we did white elephant gag gifts and probably the most fun was when we did one called the 24.24 You had to bring a gift that cost $24.24 including tax-you even had to tape the receipt to it. It was hilarious because people ended up including sticks of gum and stuff in order to get their gift to the correct amount.
These types of things are most fun if you get along well with your co-workers of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 07:29 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I wouldn't give alcohol/wine in a work grab bag, but I do give wine as gifts a lot and I don't think it's thoughtless or terrible at all. I actually think its a nice gift as many people enjoy wine.
And even if the recipient doesn't drink, it is always nice to have for guests or to "re-gift."

Old 12-18-2016, 07:40 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
I wasn't going to say any thing, but the alcohol is such a terrible and thoughtless gift. How do you know they're not an alcoholic?
I disagree that it's terrible and thoughtless. In our office gift exchange, the alcohol always gets "stolen," so no one winds up with alcohol unless they actually want it. Besides, we all know each other fairly well. We've gone out to happy hours and client dinners together. We've seen literally everyone drink at one point or another.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:41 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,132,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
And even if the recipient doesn't drink, it is always nice to have for guests or to "re-gift."
I find it thoughtless as a former alcoholic.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:11 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
I find it thoughtless as a former alcoholic.
I've never heard someone refer to themselves as a "former" alcoholic. Are you not an alcoholic anymore?

Old 12-19-2016, 03:33 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey27520 View Post
. The year she gave me what I gave her the year before.
I laughed.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:05 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,497 times
Bleh. I prefer to exchange with close friends who know me. I go to work...to earn a living, pls don't throw baby and wedding showers for people who are not in my personal social circle. They usually leave the employer shortly after never to be seen again. That is life! Pass the hat for for charity

Mae

Old 12-19-2016, 05:37 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Asking this for the fun of it this holiday season. I didn't participate in the office gift exchange this year because I got ripped off last year. It's funny really. It had a thirty dollar or less rule, bring a gift if you want to participate. We bought a giant box of fancy chocolates and a good bottle of wine. Came away with what looked like a worn out box of regifted cheezy tea cups with gingerbread and Santas(I mean seriously worn out box like it had been shuffled around a while) and one tiny miniature casserole dish. I noticed lots of the gifts were just crap like this being given to people that all have houses and a fully stocked kitchen already. When it is said that its the thought that counts this actually means you are suppose to think about what someone might like to receive. Doesn't it? I was saying in another thread how people just exchange crap nobody wants. Does anyone think its fun to receive doo doo like this?
It's all relative.

I wouldn't be emotionally invested in a secret Santa gift to the point of disappointment in the first place....it is called being a good sport.

It is simply meant to be a fun tradition. I would participate just for the curiosity and fun.

In these days of PC be glad that your office still has fun traditional gift exchange.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:39 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
If they are organized well they can be great.

My old office had specific rules which helped to avoid the situation the OP presented.
One year it was bring in a gift a day for a week and each one HAD to cost $5.
Another year we were given a certain theme(wine, chocolate and a book), a few times we did white elephant gag gifts and probably the most fun was when we did one called the 24.24 You had to bring a gift that cost $24.24 including tax-you even had to tape the receipt to it. It was hilarious because people ended up including sticks of gum and stuff in order to get their gift to the correct amount.
These types of things are most fun if you get along well with your co-workers of course.
That sounds like an office with the right attitude. Fun, making what can be a stressful season a little more enjoyable.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:41 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
We had one at work with a $10 limit. Many people spent more and I don't think anyone received an awful gift. We did so more for the fun of the exchange and not the actual gift. We had a hilarious Christmas left / right story and fun was had by all.

I bought a $15 bottle of peppermint Smirnoff and I received a $15 bottle of blackberry whiskey. 85% of the gifts were alcohol related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships