Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 03:28 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,848,361 times

Advertisements

I volunteer with this girl. She's a little bit older than me, and generally a miserable person. She talks behind people's backs constantly and says really harsh things, like that certain people are "idiots" and "useless", just really nasty things. From what I gather she's also unhappy about being single, overweight, and in poor health (her words).

When I first started volunteering there, I noticed that she seemed very lonely and unhappy, so I and a few new volunteers went out of our way to be nice to her. Now I'm starting to realize that the only people she seems to "respect" are the ones who won't give her the time of day. As soon as you're actually nice to her, she starts treating you like you're expendable. If you treat her like crap, she respects you.

I now see, of course, why everyone stays away from her. I do feel bad for her, but I'm so disgusted at how she's acted towards me (and others) that I don't want anything to do with her. I plan on avoiding her from here on out.

My question is, why would a person basically spit in the face of someone who has been kind to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 03:34 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,743,899 times
Don't worry about why. You have control over your actions and that's it.

If they reach out to you then listen patiently, otherwise, avoid the topic.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:10 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,712,491 times
With some people, the nicer you are to them, the worse they will treat you.

I would avoid her like the plague.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:47 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,938,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
I volunteer with this girl. She's a little bit older than me, and generally a miserable person. She talks behind people's backs constantly and says really harsh things, like that certain people are "idiots" and "useless", just really nasty things. From what I gather she's also unhappy about being single, overweight, and in poor health (her words).

When I first started volunteering there, I noticed that she seemed very lonely and unhappy, so I and a few new volunteers went out of our way to be nice to her. Now I'm starting to realize that the only people she seems to "respect" are the ones who won't give her the time of day. As soon as you're actually nice to her, she starts treating you like you're expendable. If you treat her like crap, she respects you.

I now see, of course, why everyone stays away from her. I do feel bad for her, but I'm so disgusted at how she's acted towards me (and others) that I don't want anything to do with her. I plan on avoiding her from here on out.

My question is, why would a person basically spit in the face of someone who has been kind to them?
Just a guess, but maybe she is trying to hurt you before you hurt her.
Sounds bizarre, but it's a possibility. The people who won't give her the time of day are probably "safer" to be around, because she doesn't expect anything out of them, and therefore she won't end up getting hurt later on when she lets her guard down.

Her saying really harsh things about other people might be her projecting her own feelings about herself onto others.

If any of that is the case, it's pretty sad.
Who knows why we humans act and do the things that we do.
Probably just lack of love, past hurts, and current fears.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:54 AM

914 posts, read 738,921 times
People feel more comfortable when a person is nice to them. And when they feel more comfortable, they are more likely to show their true colours...

Old 01-09-2017, 03:19 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,899,909 times
She hates herself so much that she cant respect anyone who likes her or is kind to her.

Pretty sad, really.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:42 AM

32,672 posts, read 48,139,958 times
You tried to help her. She turned down your help. You have met your obligation and she is no longer your problem.

Sad for her, but there really genuinely isn't anything you can do to help her.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:59 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,434,040 times
Quote:
generally a miserable person
You answered your own question.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:41 PM

50,918 posts, read 36,601,145 times
Quote:

I think knowing what sort of group this is would help...if she's mentally ill.bipolar or disabled in some way or something that explains her personality difficulties and they aren't fixable. What kind of place is this?

Old 01-09-2017, 09:25 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,037,707 times
Look up reactive attachment disorder, folks with that diagnosis will destroy a relationship so that they control the destruction as they can not accept the risk that someone else may reject them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships