Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 06:46 PM

101 posts, read 116,631 times

Advertisements

I ride the subway every day and people are beyond rude about seats. It reminded me of a situation my mom had once. She had a long day at work, got on the crowded train during rush hour. There was a guy in a seat with a little shopping bag placed on the seat next to him. My mom nicely asked, oh can i sit there? He said, sorry, it's reserved. My mom was so taken aback that she just said, ok and started to move to another area. As she was moving she said another very nicely dressed professional looking woman said, there aint no mothafu*cken reserving seats on the redline. My mom was like, yeah!! That's right.

Ahhh people.

Last edited by elysium78; 01-11-2017 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: Add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 07:02 PM

26 posts, read 16,939 times
If she didn't put a number or a coat or any other belonging on the table signaling her intention I wouldnt even acknowledge her. Pretend I didn't hear.
you had more rights to the table than her. she was not polite, you were overly polite. next time dont do it.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:22 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,785,557 times
I'd have ignored her.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:24 PM

101 posts, read 116,631 times
Default Re

I guess i dont trust people. I never would have put my # in the table, then walked away to get a drink assuming no one would take the table. That's like a parking spot or something. So yeah the woman is an a-hole by the sounds of it since she had the nerve to say something...but of course other people wanted the table and maybe didnt even realize it was taken since you got up to get a drink.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:33 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,929,877 times
"You never know what someone else is dealing with. She could have back or other orthopedic problems. Maybe she had gotten bad news five minutes before---that she was losing her job or a relative was sick (but a friend joined her and she seemed pretty happy and stable)."

I like your thinking here- I would just consider it a Mitzvah and go on with my life- like you I choose my battles-that wouldn't make a blip on my radar.

Last edited by exit82; 01-11-2017 at 08:38 PM..

Old 01-11-2017, 09:09 PM

18,567 posts, read 7,422,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
You snooze you lose. You have every right to that table
How so? The other woman ordered first, but did the courteous thing and finished getting her food and drink before claiming a table. What the OP did is the same as claiming the table before she ordered. She jumped the queue.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:12 PM

18,567 posts, read 7,422,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Thanks. I kind of agree---but I did forget to say that she HAD ordered before me. So maybe that played into it---but then again, why was she still at the drink machine holding her number and filling her cup, by the time I had completed ordering and paying? I guess she was just slow and like many people, didn't think that someone else might want the last available booth just like she wanted it---all she knew was that she saw it, wanted it, and expected to get it, but never thought to claim it by walking the few steps over to place it on the table and then walk back to the drink machine.
Maybe she didn't think someone would cut in front of her so rudely.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:16 PM

12,122 posts, read 8,516,941 times
It's just a table seat, a moment in what may be a long, serene lifetime.

The story and people's suggestion that you speak up for it reminds me of an experience nearly forty years ago when I was young and feisty. Well, and still had the energy for such trivialities.

It was the dead of winter. Below zero. Both kids and I were sick with bad colds and I needed to go to the mall for supplies.

Miserable. But I bundled them up and off we went. I was so glad to see a parking spot close to the door, saw a car driven by an older woman turning in from the opposite direction, so switched on my blinker as an indication I was going to park and waited for her to go past me.

She pulled the old steal-the-parking-spot trick and my not very far from the surface anger flared. I laid on the horn. When she didn't move I hopped out of the car and went over to her. "You took my parking spot, " I said.

"Well, what do you want me to do? Move?" she asked.

"Yes!"

Got back in the car to two startled toddlers. She moved and I got my spot.

Guess what happened when we got in the mall. She had time to think about what had happened and was nail-chewing mad. She headed us off in the hall and followed me, kids in tow, all the length of the mall complaining about how I showed disrespect for my elders. People were gaping at the sight.

I finally said something about age not giving people the right to be rude and she walked away.
What a major commotion!

Looking back and thinking how much I didn't need the extra aggravation that day I hope it helped me learn to weigh my needs and wants.

I admire your valuing the peace of mind, OP.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:24 PM

2,506 posts, read 1,887,903 times
You take a big chance getting into a confrontation over a parking place and then leaving your car where the other person knows it is. My former brother-in-law "won" the argument one night in a parking lot, but came out a couple of hours later to a well-keyed car. Deep gouges down both sides, done without doubt by the "loser" of the argument as soon as he went into the restaurant.

It's just not worth it to me to be the "winner" in that kind of situation. I'd be a nervous wreck until I got back to my car.
There are a lot of crazy people out there, just on the edge of losing it.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:06 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,293,590 times
I think what you did was very polite, and that she was very rude in saying anything to you at all about wanting that table. Especially in not give you a big thank you when you gave her your table.

But, like you said, you are picking your battlegrounds....and good for you.

I would have asked her to sit, knowing she wouldn't have. But, it would totally depend on my mood and her level of rudeness as to whether or not I would have let he get away with it.

And, you are right we need more people like you. Good for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships