Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 02:51 PM

42 posts, read 74,992 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Sooooo... I need some advice on how to get through the season, not of snow or cold, (which I love), but dibs.

This is my first winter here and I obviously don't get it. Monday morning, I dig out, drive away, (leaving no rickety chair, child's toy, or other such piece of trash in my spot), go to work, and return in the eveing to find NO SPOTS for blocks. Either their is a car or the dibs trash. Eventually I find a spot that was mounded with snow from a plow and dig that out, and this time, of course put dibs trash in its spot. I am not doing this to get a "reserved spot" , but just so I can have a spot to park in that is not a mile away.

If I had returned from work and had to dig out a space again, and had to dig out again, over and over, fine. It is a twenty -thirty minute chore, you get exercise, and eventually the whole block would be clean, and there would be no need for dibs anyway, but instead the block is basically a line of reserved parking spaces, making it impossible for some people to find a spot.

Which brings me to my second point. Since by today all spots have been cleared, why is there still "dibs"? Like its the same road as it was before there was snow. You can basically pull into a spot now.

And when does "dibs" end? Is there a time limit on your reserved spot? When does the weather deem it cut off time? Thats what I really want to know, how long does this dibs stuff go on for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 03:01 PM

255 posts, read 583,639 times
Why? Because some people have an amazing sense of entitlement. A few on my block have some junk in the street, but I'm please to see that most of my immediate neighbors are being decent.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:10 PM

I am off work tomorrow. Let me take a pic and post it of the block. Not a non "dibbed" spot to be found. I honestly think some of these people just want a spot right in front of their apartment. I did notice as I was driving from work today that there were a lot of parts of the city that are not doing dibs. Or at least not to the extent they are here.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:11 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
I guess it wouldn't be winter without a "dibs" thread...

Here's a plan to put an end to this dibs nonsense once and for all:

1) Pass an ordinance that puts residents on notice that the city can declare a "plow emergency" after at least 8 inches of snow or more (as measured at O'Hare, Midway, or the Lakefront);

2) Once the city declares such an emergency, people parked on the odd side of the street have 24 hours to move their car so that the odd side can be plowed all the way to the curb;

3) People parked on the even side have 48 hours to move their car for the same purpose.

4) Anyone whose car can't handle side-street parking up to 8" of snow bought the wrong car and/or should pay for off-street parking, so screw yer dibs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcharlemagne View Post
I am off work tomorrow. Let me take a pic and post it of the block. Not a non "dibbed" spot to be found. I honestly think some of these people just want a spot right in front of their apartment. I did notice as I was driving from work today that there were a lot of parts of the city that are not doing dibs. Or at least not to the extent they are here.
You can post a pic if you want but you don't really need to. This is nothing new to most of us.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:13 PM

I completely agree. I think this is going to be my new cause. I am going to find a way to get rid of dibs. It is so self involved and arrogant.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
I completely agree. I think this is going to be my new cause. I am going to find a way to get rid of dibs. It is so self involved and arrogant.
You'll be spitting into a gale. It won't go away as long as City Hall tolerates it.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:15 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,278 times
There is no etiquette for dibs. Why? Because dibs is the opposite of etiquette.

It's like asking, "What is the etiquette for using the L as a bathroom?" It's not right. You shouldn't do it. But people do.

So what happens when people do it? Suck it up, realize you are a better person than the A------- who does it, and find another spot to park in (or a restroom to relieve yourself).

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a Dibber to enter the kingdom of God."
-A2DAC 10:25

EDIT: Or just use the CTA and wait for all the snow to melt before moving your car. That's what I did during last year's snow storms. It's not optimal, but you don't lose your spot.

Last edited by A2DAC1985; 02-03-2015 at 03:27 PM..

Old 02-03-2015, 03:16 PM

But what I really want to know is... when is it appropriate for dibs to be over? I would think a couple of days max after the storm is over. So if I start removing junk say a week after any weather, will I be killed, or my car torched?

Old 02-03-2015, 03:24 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,278 times
Quote:
But what I really want to know is... when is it appropriate for dibs to be over? I would think a couple of days max after the storm is over. So if I start removing junk say a week after any weather, will I be killed, or my car torched?
If you want to be like the Joker and watch the world burn, here's my suggestion:

When you're driving down a street and you see any "dibs", stop your car and throw that S----- out of the parking spot. Doesn't matter if it's close to where you live, just throw it off to the side.

But ONLY do that if you're ready to start a civil unrest that would be equivalent to a Cubs/Sox World Series.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:31 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
I don't get it... If someone moves their car and leaves something in the road to "save their spot"; when you come home and there are no spots available - other than this "saved" spot, move the crap and park. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago