Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 08:06 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
So, girls want candy, dolls, jewelry and....shovels. Evolution in progress?

I'm sure she helped you out, too.

Need some more snow to justify the dibs nonsense? We've got over 3 feet of snow right now in the Boston metro area, with another foot coming down right now. The snow drifts are over my head, and there's more coming later this week. We desperately need 1-2 days of over 35 degrees, with bright sunshine, to at least get on top of this stuff..
wow you guys are getting what we had last winter, except i think you guys are getting more snow.. we had the last snowfall here in last April or so when snow was supposed to be gone, and one more snow fall came - one laste taste of it.. winter and the polar vortex would not leave!! many many people here said We have had enough!!! i hear you on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Who said I would put it in my house? I would put it out in the trash. I don't ever see anything worth keeping.
no i mean if you picked up a chair that was in good condition and you used it as furniture for your house. just warning about the potential of bugs, the city of Chicago has a handout about not choosing used furniture epecially stuff that you find in the alley or street.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
wow you guys are getting what we had last winter, except i think you guys are getting more snow.. we had the last snowfall here in last April or so when snow was supposed to be gone, and one more snow fall came - one laste taste of it.. winter and the polar vortex would not leave!! many many people here said We have had enough!!! i hear you on that.
it's worse than what we got last year. Boston has had as much snowfall in the last two weeks as we got all of last winter. Imagine the Super Bowl Sunday snowfall happening with the same frequency that we got our 6" to 10" snowfalls last winter.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:50 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
it's worse than what we got last year. Boston has had as much snowfall in the last two weeks as we got all of last winter. Imagine the Super Bowl Sunday snowfall happening with the same frequency that we got our 6" to 10" snowfalls last winter.
Boston shatters all-time records as snow keeps falling

Quote:
The latest storm has brought the two week total to about five feet in a city which usually sees about three feet in an entire winter season.
Quote:
The current storm brings the seasonal snowfall total to at least 73.9 inches so far, which ranks as the 10th-snowiest winter season on record, and also smashes the record for the snowiest 40-day period as well as the snowiest 30-day period.

The city's 30-day snowfall totals through 7 a.m. ET on Monday is 61.6 inches, which beats a previous 30-day total from 1978.
My dd lives near Boston and where she is, they did not get quite as much.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:31 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
What is the scene, Terminator 2? Arnold walks into some biker bar totally naked and sizes up a tough looking guy before he says something like "Give your clothes, boots, and motorcycle". The guy laughs and the Terminator proceeds to bust up the whole place. Finally the flesh covered machine gets the clothes and is about the ride away on the guys motorcycle. The proprietor comes out with a sawed-off shotgun and says "I can't let you leave with the man's bike."

Of course the ensuing invulnerability displayed by the Terminator has the machine snatching the scatter gun from the guy. As well as his sunglasses. Arnold rides off on the hog...

THAT is how to end dibs!

Or move to a nice neighborhood where people actually have off street park...
The problem there is if you have off street parking Chicago it's usually an alley garage. And of course once you manage to shovel your way out of said garage and struggle down your alley, you certainly don't want to try to get back in again!

So, when you get home, you have to grab a shovel and shovel out of space. If you don't call Dibs, you will lose the space seconds after you leave for work the next morning and be doing that all over again when you get home from work the next night, assuming you can even find a space to shovel. Or, you can just call Dibs like everyone else and keep the space until you can get back into your garage. People generally respect the Dibs, at least in my neighborhood, so your hour of work is rewarded by a guaranteed parking space.

I'm not proud of it but I took that latter option after the last storm. I can definitely understand the temptation. If it's going to be stopped, it needs to be citywide. Plowing the alleys would also help immensely.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:53 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
I've been throwing crap out I find in the street. It looks terrible.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:08 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
We've received 6 feet of snow in the last 17 days. All subway, commuter rail lines and water taxis have been closed for today. Crews are clearing tracks by hand, schools are closed , and state offices have been shut down..

A few buses are running, however...

Old 02-10-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah Boston looks like our blizzard of 67.. drifts all the way up to their chins!

Old 02-10-2015, 06:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Yeah Boston looks like our blizzard of 67.. drifts all the way up to their chins!
That's not drifts -- that's the actual snowfall level. The drifts are up to their roof eaves.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
That's not drifts -- that's the actual snowfall level. The drifts are up to their roof eaves.
whoa! i see people shoveling out there that have to not only shovel heavy snow but they have to lift it and throw it up over their shoulder, because the mountains of snow are growing higher!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago