Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 03:16 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,154,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If that were truly the last booth and I was alone, I'd have offered to let her sit there with me.
That's a sweet idea. She had another man, possibly a significant other, join her and I had my husband. Would have been cool had the four of us sat together, like what may have happened in a movie, and enjoyed the meal together---even becoming friends afterwards!

Don't know if she would have accepted the offer had it just been her and me. There were other tables to sit at, so chances are she would have wanted to sit at one rather than sit with a stranger.

It wasn't that there were no places to sit---there were plenty of tables (and it turned out that the wooden chairs, although not padded, weren't so uncomfortable!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 03:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,239,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Thanks. I kind of agree---but I did forget to say that she HAD ordered before me. So maybe that played into it---but then again, why was she still at the drink machine holding her number and filling her cup, by the time I had completed ordering and paying? I guess she was just slow and like many people, didn't think that someone else might want the last available booth just like she wanted it---all she knew was that she saw it, wanted it, and expected to get it, but never thought to claim it by walking the few steps over to place it on the table and then walk back to the drink machine.
This lady had nothing to lose, and something to gain, by saying what she said to you. You were nice enough to give way to her. So, she took a shot, so to speak, and it worked for her. I think you were awfully nice to let her have "her" booth, but I do not feel that you were obligated to do so. You were operating on mutually understood rules that work in the U.S. for this type of situation.

I don't know if you might have started a fight, or if this person would have had an altercation with someone else over this.

As you said, you chose to keep your mellow, so to speak, and I think it was probably a wise choice for you.
I think you took the high road here; I think this person chose to take the low road. But, as you said, you didn't really suffer from this.

I had a couple more thoughts, really memories, to share.

Once in a crowded Panera where I was by myself, I got my order, filled my drink cup and found a place to sit on a crowded lunch time. They buzzed me when I had sat there a bit, and I left my filled drink cup on the table to get my lunch. (I hate leaving my purse in a crowded place.) When I went back with my food, someone was trying to grab my table. I think she was thinking of moving my drink to the trash! I did say something! That's mine I said. She seemed irritated but she moved on. I think she had not read the filled drink cup message that I had meant to send by leaving the filled drink cup on the table. (Our Panera has discontinued the buzzers, by the way.)

Old 01-11-2017, 04:06 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,554,168 times
"Well I'm glad I beat you to it." At those types of places I have H grab a table while I order. Or if he's washing his hands, I order, grab a table, then wait to fill the drink when he gets back.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:12 PM

179 posts, read 150,036 times
If I was by myself, I probably wouldn't go for the booth unless the place was empty or it was a mini 2-person booth.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:23 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,352,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noslrac View Post
If I was by myself, I probably wouldn't go for the booth unless the place was empty or it was a mini 2-person booth.
Further into the thread she states that her husband was with her. She grabbed the table while waiting (?) but she wasn't alone, just at the moment of the exchange she was.

To the OP, yes she should have said thank you and not doing so was rude of her. You were magnanimous and I would have done the same...probably(?). I usually sit and when hubby gets back to the table, that's when I get any stuff that I might need for the meal.

Typically, if some sees a booth that they want and there are no more that are free, someone in the party claims it and waits till others sit before getting their drink. That way the table never remains unoccupied leaving no doubt that the booth or table has been claimed.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:54 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,982,748 times
This is one reason I never sit down in that kind of restaurant when I have a perfectly good car outside and can listen to the radio in peace while I eat.

What was this woman's tone of voice? Was it just 'oh well .. guess I lost out' or more 'that should have been MY seat!' - in other words, resignation or just making conversation in passing, or a more accusatory .. 'you took my space'? I would probably have reacted differently depending on what the tone was more than I would based on words alone.

That said, I am way too nice and I would probably have moved too, even though I had first claim on the spot. Not worth getting too upset over for the short time one will be there. If she was really rude though, I would have held my ground because that kind of behaviour does irk me more and more lately.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,225,680 times
I think the table was yours. I usually have a book with me, or a coat to leave at the table while I pick up my food or fill my drink. I've never had anyone try to take my table. That woman was pretty ballsy to call you out. If I had been her, I would have thought "oh darn" and sat at a different table.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:16 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,519,023 times
"Oh sorry, looks like they still have some other tables over there". It was nice of you to let her have the booth, you didn't have to. And chances are she won't appreciate it and/or pay it forward because so few people can appreciate a kind gesture these days (and people wonder where kids get their sense of entitlement from). But that wasn't why you did it and that's all that matters.

It's one of those chicken/egg situations, some believe it is OK to claim the table before being ready to sit, some believe you shouldn't claim the table until ready to sit. We will send one of our kids to stake the claim at a busy place if necessary. And people do get annoyed at us for doing it. But try walking round for 10 minutes with your food in your hands with 2 kids who just want to eat already! Who's to say which is right? She was kind of rude to call you out though.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:45 PM

4,855 posts, read 3,660,875 times
I would have asked her to join me, but I am friendly that way.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:30 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,515,194 times
I'm not sure what I would do. You got your number there first, the table was yours. Your food was going to come out at similar times. Ordering first doesn't guarantee first seating in a case like this. She might have the idea that you do these things in order, but still- with other places to sit, it's petty to respond that way. If she had orthopedic problems, as you suggested, chances are a booth would be worse anyway.

It gets trickier, Imo, when someone comes into a place like that that is very busy, and immediately one person goes and saves a table when there are 20 people in line ahead of that person. I understand wanting to get a table, but it's not very efficient because then there are people who have food (and aren't waiting in line) who don't have a table. There are reasons to argue both sides of that, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships