Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 12:30 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times

Advertisements

I eat my breakfast at work while I'm going through my email inbox. Granted, it doesn't smell, and I have cube walls ...

OP, are people allowed to eat lunch at their desks? If they are, then I would imagine then the rules are no different for breakfast. And there's probably no rule about how loudly one chews. It might be inconsiderate, but you might have to learn to live with it. Or request a relocation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 12:40 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I would get a desk fan and point it at him to blow his stench back at him when he busts out with the food. Perhaps a spritz or two of cheap perfume, like Avon, for extra measure.
Of course, you realize--this means WAR! The war of the stenches, yeah, man! Fight fire with fire!

(lol This thread is killing me! What would I do without C-D for a source of laughter therapy? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I never got the eat breakfast at work scenario.

I mean you don't dress or shower at work, eat breakfast at home.

I would say something to him in a joking manner" don't you have eggs or cereal at your house?". If he doesn't get the hint and go to the break room than say something to the boss and if you can get another coworker to back you up, all the better.
Another hilarious post! Hmm...showering at work. That could get interesting.

I love the "don't you have eggs or cereal at your house" line! Actually, that could work. Try that a couple of times, OP, and make an off-the-cuff comment that his mother was right about his loud chewing. If those don't work, escalate to the fume war. lol I'm surprised an episode like this never came up on a show like "The Office".

Full disclosure: I went through a phase once of brekky-ing at my desk, but I had a cubicle, and it was an office of only 3 people, one of whom had a private office within. IDK, there was just something nice about stopping by the cafeteria and getting some English muffins in the morning....

Old 01-25-2017, 12:47 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
We are quote unquote "professionals" with minimal supervision. We come and go as we please as long as we get our work done. Granted, we work hard and often long hours. We are compensated decently so I am not complaining about the work flow.

He has been with our group for one year now. I could move but it would I think it would be obvious I was trying to avoid him.

I have heard him cop to the fact he chews his food loudly. Apparently a family member told him this once. So he knows it but bad habits die hard.
Would the underlined be such a bad thing? It hopefully would send a message about his munching and chewing. You might try seain's suggestions first, though. "Don't you have eggs and toast/cereal at your house?" ROFL! Seinfeld really missed a rich comedy opportunity!

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-25-2017 at 12:57 PM..

Old 01-25-2017, 01:34 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Yes as others have said, tell your immediate supervisor that you would appreciate it if everyone ate in the break room! It's gross and distracting. UGH!

Old 01-25-2017, 02:08 PM

914 posts, read 737,776 times
LOL this thread is hilarious

We don't have cube walls either, it's just desk next to desk next to desk next to...you get the idea. If you're lucky (and get on well with the Facilities team), you might get a little separater which fits between the desks and is about 30cm high.

Most people eat at their desk. We were banned from eating at our desks about a year ago due to a mice problem in the building. Everyone ignored it (yes, including me) .
Most people are reasonable and avoid smelly foods though. Having said that, there have been instances of people heating up fish or other smelly foods in the microwave and stinking the whole office out. HR and/or Facilities have sent out emails to remind people not to eat smelly foods in the office - could you contact them? Another way people deal with it is a bit of passive aggressive joking "OMG that stinks. WTH are you eating dude?", accompanied with laughter and a slight look of disgust. Offenders are usually too shamed to re-offend.

There was a lady who sat behind me for about a year and she chewed extremely noisily. And she breathed really loudly too. It didn't bother me (good at zoning out my environment when I focus) although the guy who sat next to her HATED her for it. Can you put earphones in and listen to music when he eats?

I have recently read an article on annoyances of office life and unnecessary noise & smelly foods were both listed: Microwaving fish, slurping tea and loud typing: Things you only know if you work in an office - Manchester Evening News

Quote:
I mean you don't dress or shower at work
We have showers in our office building and some people do use them lol

Old 01-25-2017, 02:11 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
I never got the eat breakfast at work scenario.

I mean you don't dress or shower at work, eat breakfast at home.

I would say something to him in a joking manner" don't you have eggs or cereal at your house?". If he doesn't get the hint and go to the break room than say something to the boss and if you can get another coworker to back you up, all the better.
Here is maybe an explanation:

I need to take medication in the morning that requires me to not eat for at least an hour. I eat breakfast at work on my desk. I close my mouth while I eat and it doesn't smell. My two cell mates at work eat on their desk also (one has the same medication than I do) and neither one is loud or stinky. We eat stinky/cooked food in the kitchen at work.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:14 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
We work in an open environment with open "cubes" with no real walls/separation. This guy who sits near me brings his stinky breakfast to work EVERY DAY! And he chews like a slob with his mouth open!

Can't people eat breakfast on their own time at home? Or eat in the damn break room which has a large table, fridge and microwave!!!!!

Yeah, I know. Life is really tough. I have a good job even if I hate the open environment. But this guy drives me nuts and he always sits nearby. He chews loudly! And he is LOUD when he talks on the phone to clients!!
I would quit. That's what I would do.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:33 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,471,218 times
Get headphones. It's the only way I made it through the lunch/snack hour back when I had to work in the office.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:49 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Here is maybe an explanation:

I need to take medication in the morning that requires me to not eat for at least an hour. I eat breakfast at work on my desk. I close my mouth while I eat and it doesn't smell. My two cell mates at work eat on their desk also (one has the same medication than I do) and neither one is loud or stinky. We eat stinky/cooked food in the kitchen at work.
Yep. That's definitely a legitimate reason. Another possible explanation ... I just can't eat first thing in the morning. It's a couple hours after waking before I can stomach the idea of food. Also, I like the breakfast foods that I can get on the way to work or in my building. Plus I don't have to clean the kitchen.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:49 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
I'm just really curious about what he's eating for breakfast that is so smelly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships