Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 11:03 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,397,342 times

Advertisements

We work in an open environment with open "cubes" with no real walls/separation. This guy who sits near me brings his stinky breakfast to work EVERY DAY! And he chews like a slob with his mouth open!

Can't people eat breakfast on their own time at home? Or eat in the damn break room which has a large table, fridge and microwave!!!!!

Yeah, I know. Life is really tough. I have a good job even if I hate the open environment. But this guy drives me nuts and he always sits nearby. He chews loudly! And he is LOUD when he talks on the phone to clients!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 11:15 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
lol! Feeling stressed, OP? Don't hold back--tell us how you REALLY feel!

But to get down to business: is he allowed to breakfast at his desk? He probably doesn't go into the break room because, you know--he's supposed to be at his desk. It's work hours, so if he had his munch in the breakroom, he'd get in trouble for being late to work, see what I mean?

Is there a supervisor in the room? Do they know he's munching on work time? Some offices don't allow that.

That open environment sounds awful. As to speaking loudly on the phone: again, perhaps a matter for the supervisor to suggest keeping voices low out of courtesy to the entire staff sharing the room and making phone calls. I don't know how anyone could get any business done with a roomful of people calling their clients all at the same time.

Is the muncher new to the office? If so, a super could give him an introduction to the rules and courtesies that help prevent co-workers from strangling each other in close quarters.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-25-2017 at 12:28 PM..

Old 01-25-2017, 11:20 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
I would get a desk fan and point it at him to blow his stench back at him when he busts out with the food. Perhaps a spritz or two of cheap perfume, like Avon, for extra measure.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:22 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,279 times
I'm sorry, but this made me laugh outloud. Sorry to hear. Co-workers have ugly habits and they don't even know it or care. I have co-workers who burp outloud, yawn loudly, and cut their fingernails. All gross sounds. We have the same open space with no walls/separations either.

I just fume in my seat and grumble to myself. Or I put on earphones and listen to music.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:25 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Try to relocate your workstation?
Complain to your boss?
If nothing helps then I like the perfume stench suggestion. If he complains about it, negotiate - no more perfume for no more eating.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I'm sorry, but this made me laugh outloud. Sorry to hear. Co-workers have ugly habits and they don't even know it or care. I have co-workers who burp outloud, yawn loudly, and cut their fingernails. All gross sounds. We have the same open space with no walls/separations either.

I just fume in my seat and grumble to myself. Or I put on earphones and listen to music.
Thank you. I am glad to hear I am not alone!!

Old 01-25-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
lol! Feeling stressed, OP? Don't hold back--tell us how you REALLY feel!

But to get down to business: is he allowed to breakfast at his desk? He probably doesn't go into the break room because, you know--he's supposed to be at his desk. It's work hours, so if he had is munch in the breakroom, he'd get in trouble for being late to work, see what I mean?

Is there a supervisor in the room? Do they know he's munching on work time? Some offices don't allow that.
We are quote unquote "professionals" with minimal supervision. We come and go as we please as long as we get our work done. Granted, we work hard and often long hours. We are compensated decently so I am not complaining about the work flow.

He has been with our group for one year now. I could move but it would I think it would be obvious I was trying to avoid him.

I have heard him cop to the fact he chews his food loudly. Apparently a family member told him this once. So he knows it but bad habits die hard.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:40 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
I never got the eat breakfast at work scenario.

I mean you don't dress or shower at work, eat breakfast at home.

I would say something to him in a joking manner" don't you have eggs or cereal at your house?". If he doesn't get the hint and go to the break room than say something to the boss and if you can get another coworker to back you up, all the better.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:41 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
We work in an open environment with open "cubes" with no real walls/separation. This guy who sits near me brings his stinky breakfast to work EVERY DAY! And he chews like a slob with his mouth open!

Can't people eat breakfast on their own time at home? Or eat in the damn break room which has a large table, fridge and microwave!!!!!

Yeah, I know. Life is really tough. I have a good job even if I hate the open environment. But this guy drives me nuts and he always sits nearby. He chews loudly! And he is LOUD when he talks on the phone to clients!!
Complain to HR. His snacking is probably against the rules. He could possibly spill coffee in in his keyboard, for instance. His crumbs in the waste can could attract bugs. In other words, he is eating in a place not designated for eating. If you complain to HR, he should not know which of other coworkers in your bullpen office has complained. If you don't have an HR department, then complain to the manager. Tell him his eating is distracting.

If you don't trust your manager to keep this discreet, then I think you'll have to learn to live with it.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:23 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,218,110 times
How about coming right out and telling the guy he is distracting you? Other than that I likethe perfume suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships