Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 07:21 PM

3,257 posts, read 2,346,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
What are the odds? I'm sure there are many families that raised their children with good morals, manners, habits, etc., but maybe a kid or two strayed and rebelled and got into drugs, crime and other similar troubles.

What are the odds that great parents with 3 kids ended up with 3 not so good kids....awful to be exact. Does that speak at all to their parenting?

What are your thoughts?

Definition of awful:

Single and pregnant with many baby daddies
Felony crimes
Love to date criminals
Unemployed and living off government and brag about it
Drugs - even started meth lab in home around kids
Act like gangsters
Have many children but take care of none - but keep having babies.
I would agree the kids are awful. Are their biological parents married to each other? Is the family 'broken' in some way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 07:24 PM

9,884 posts, read 14,152,674 times
so, the simple answer is "no". "Great" parents would not have all three of their children turn out with poor life skills.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:31 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,446,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Either that or they were narcissists wrapped up in themselves and their life together, ignoring the kids. Kids who grow up without guidance and parental involvement can get lost, and end up getting in trouble with the law.I've seen that with parents who were otherwise "upstanding" pillar-of-the-community types, but they ignored their kids, or sent them to boarding school. Neglect of that sort is a form of abuse.
Agreed, and I would definitely put it in the psychological abuse category. Neglect, ignoring your kids and their needs can often be just as damaging as physical abuse.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:05 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,645,971 times
Quote:
What are the odds? I'm sure there are many families that raised their children with good morals, manners, habits, etc., but maybe a kid or two strayed and rebelled and got into drugs, crime and other similar troubles.

What are the odds that great parents with 3 kids ended up with 3 not so good kids....awful to be exact. Does that speak at all to their parenting?

What are your thoughts?

Definition of awful:

Felony crimes
Love to date criminals
Act like gangsters
Define great parents. Many parents go on about how great they are/were only to hear from others that they're just like everyone else.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:50 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,038,186 times
Depends...were the kids in special education classes? Do they have learning problems or emotional/ mental illness types of issues.

Could be great parents, and the kids have issues that result in poor choices and not learning from mistakes.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:37 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,158,930 times
I work with someone that I really like and she seems like a good mother and her husband seems like a good guy but all 4 of their kids, (now adults) have had or are having some major problems. Lots of drug abuse and they raising two of the grandkids. As I get to know her a little more and more. I have seen where she becomes intolerant of certain things and when she gets set on something at work, she doesn't take feedback all that well at times. I suspect there is a lot more going on behind the scenes not just bad luck of having some bad eggs.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:26 AM

35,105 posts, read 31,381,963 times
I've definitely seen it happen.

We're all responsible, at least in part, for our own successes and failures. One of my dad's chess buddies lived up the street from us, and the man had two children, one of whom was hit by a car and has been wheelchair bound and cognitively disabled for twenty years now. This man and his wife were by all accounts very good parents.

The other son was in constant trouble in high school, then went to college and stayed in trouble. He was a "black lives matter" type agitator before it was cool, and has had some fairly well publicized legal issues. He's back here in the hometown now, waiting tables. I'd say that was a flame out.

One of my best friends had a very caring and understanding mother, but his father was more conservative, straight laced, and traveled a lot for work. We drank some and partied in high school like most kids, but he got into harder drugs, multiple DUIs, felony drug convictions, was mentally ill, and ultimately took his own life. By contrast, his sister has a PhD from one of the most prestigious schools in her field in the country, but also has multiple DUIs.

Neither parent was into any sort of this BS to my knowledge.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:01 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,654,920 times
After a child turns 18 or so you have no control over their actions. I always wanted my son to be a professional, teacher, whatever. He did his college an became an OTR trucker.

I am very proud of him, he has been at it for 15 years and is a total professional. He made his choice.

Perfect? Who is perfect?

My husband had four kids. Oldest two have been highly successful and are very well off. Last two are working at blue collar jobs and not as well off, one has had children from multiple relationships.

I love them all. We are all imperfect and have our issues.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:13 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,713,128 times
What annoys me are older parents who constantly moan about how horrible their kids are. Well, you raised 'em. I don't know what else to say.

And when you scratch the surface, you will find out their kids have, yes, made a few mistakes in their lives, but they are overall decent people.

You also have the parents who are disappointed that their children didn't grow up to establish themselves in professional careers or get married by a certain age, or marry a successful partner, or finish their degree. None of these things are as horrible as the parents believe they are.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:37 AM

772 posts, read 915,266 times
Quote:

What are your thoughts?

Definition of awful:

Felony crimes
Love to date criminals
Act like gangsters

the odds ? Extremely probable. .. Raise some kids of your own, and tell me how easy it was..

Do you have pacific examples of bad parenting ? other than just the outcome of the kids ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships