Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 06:43 PM

130 posts, read 105,680 times

Advertisements

i've started to give perfumes (safe perfumes that almost everyone likes, or if i know the person well, something i know they will like). Of course, given that they like to wear perfume and not allergic to it, perfume is the best gift because even if they don't love it, they will still like it enough to wear it. You also don't have to worry about size or anything like that. It's much much easier finding a perfume someone will like than finding a hat,shirt,pant,dress that they will like and not feel compelled to return or give away. Thoughts? What are other gifts that are "fool-proof"? Some other examples i can think of are skincare and nail polishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 06:46 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Gift cards. I hate perfume, I wore it when I was younger but somehow I turned allergic to it or something. Now I can't even stand to be around anyone wearing perfume.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:47 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Perfume is not a fool proof gift it is a cheap fool's gift to many women unless they specifically ask for perfume.
There is little thought or process into walking into a shop and picking up perfume.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:50 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,473,484 times
I won't buy perfume/cologne for others. Too personal as to individual taste. I will give bubble bath sets if the scent is pretty mild, ex. Vanilla.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:53 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Perfume is not a fool proof gift it is a cheap fool's gift to many women unless they specifically ask for perfume.
There is little thought or process into walking into a shop and picking up perfume.
Talk about no thought involved with a gift: Gift cards are the thoughtless person's gift. I'd rather receive nothing than a gift card.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:08 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAborg View Post
i've started to give perfumes... Some other examples i can think of are skincare and nail polishes.
I disagree. All of those are VERY personal types of products, the choice of which would depend greatly on the type of skin a person has and personal taste and preferences. I can't think of a single fragrance that EVERYONE likes.

The only foolproof gift would be a Visa gift-card or other cash-equivalent gift card.

If you know the person fairly well, though, you should be able to choose something they would enjoy.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:33 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,028,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAborg View Post
i've started to give perfumes (safe perfumes that almost everyone likes, or if i know the person well, something i know they will like). Of course, given that they like to wear perfume and not allergic to it, perfume is the best gift because even if they don't love it, they will still like it enough to wear it. You also don't have to worry about size or anything like that. It's much much easier finding a perfume someone will like than finding a hat,shirt,pant,dress that they will like and not feel compelled to return or give away. Thoughts? What are other gifts that are "fool-proof"? Some other examples i can think of are skincare and nail polishes.
I'm not sure there is such a thing as a fool proof gift, but sorry, perfume sure isn't it. Back when I wore perfume daily (I have since given it up because so many people can't tolerate being around people wearing scent), I hated getting perfume as a gift.

Between being sensitive to chemicals and having a body chemistry that didn't get along with most scents, finding something that smelled good on me and that didn't make my nose run wasn't easy. I wore a hard to find all natural scent for years. Whenever anyone gave me perfume, I gave it away or tossed it.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:50 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
My husband actually thinks giving per fumes, soaps, creams, sprays is insulting.
His thought: if I received these from someone other than my family I would think they are telling me I stink.

I strongly disagree of course.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:07 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I disagree. All of those are VERY personal types of products, the choice of which would depend greatly on the type of skin a person has and personal taste and preferences. I can't think of a single fragrance that EVERYONE likes.

The only foolproof gift would be a Visa gift-card or other cash-equivalent gift card.

If you know the person fairly well, though, you should be able to choose something they would enjoy.
True story: My ex-husband gave me a very nice perfume soon after we started dating. I really liked it, which was weird because I am not a perfume type of gal. My positive sentiments about the fragrance quickly soured when he told me he purchased the same fragrance for EVERY woman he dated So I put it away and only wore it on rare occasions, all the while trying to put that bizarre comment out of my mind.

Fast forward 6 years: The husband and my relationship had soured just as much as my feelings on the perfume after that crass comment he made. But I thought maybe a situational change was what our faltering relationship needed so when he got a new much better job, we looked to purchase a new home. Once we put one on contract, I met the home inspector there to go over the inspection report, and all of a sudden, all thoughts of my soon-to-be-ex husband and the house disappeared. I found myself inspecting not the house, but the inspector Soon after, I dumped him and we made our relationship official. She told me the first thing that attracted her was my fragrance. How ironic: my ex-husband chose it for me, and what was even more ironic was the name: Catalyst.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:36 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
to those that wish not to receive perfumes/colognes,send them my way!!!

Nice thing about my local department store, if they carry it and I wish to exchange it for a different type, I can

I am allergic to ungracious gift receivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships