Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 04:45 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Why do you have to have a male with you when you go in the first place? They automatically assume that the male is in charge because naturally they know more than most chicks do about that kind of stuff.

So go alone.
This.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:04 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
I'm sorry but, from the looks of your profile and the way you write, I have my doubts that you are a woman.
The looks of my profile? Lmao. Care to elaborate on that one?

Old 03-02-2017, 05:08 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times
Sometimes you do it as a man so as not to get into some weird thing where it looks like you are flirting with the girl or dissing the man.

I am not sure why this is such a big deal. Next time this happens just whisper in the mans ear that you are with "Please tell him to speak to me."

Old 03-02-2017, 05:13 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
I'm 59 years old and this discussion, or one like it, has been going on my entire life. I'm amazed and a bit appalled that we haven't made more progress than this.

If a service provider assumes anything, it should be that the woman in the couple is capable of hearing the answer to the question she asked. Or that the credit card or cash she handed them is hers. 50 years and this still a quandary

Old 03-02-2017, 06:02 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Something strange happens with male service workers when i am accompanied by a male.

If I am with my brother at a car repair shop I notice the worker(almost always a male) focuses his conversations on my brother instead of me,even though it is my car and I am the one paying for it.

The same thing happened when I had an electrician come out to look at some wires in my home.
I was the one that called him,so he knew i was the homeowner,yet he focused the whole conversation on my guy friend even though he knew it was my house. The electrician even told my friend what type of tool I would need even though I was standing 2 feet from them. He was also showing him how to tighten a wire but my friend does not live here.

I asked around and this seems to happen to my women relatives too.

How can i let the service worker know this is unacceptable?
You have just described a "microaggression." This scenario is so common for women!!!

I feel like if you want you can call them on it once. But honestly I don't think those people will change. If they aren't savvy enough to figure out the power dynamic, they do not deserve your business.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:09 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
You step up, ask questions, and if he keeps ignoring you, you say, "Excuse me, Mr. Smith, but it's my car, so I'm the one you have to be explaining to."

Old 03-02-2017, 06:23 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
Quote:
Something strange happens with male service workers when i am accompanied by a male.

If I am with my brother at a car repair shop I notice the worker(almost always a male) focuses his conversations on my brother instead of me,even though it is my car and I am the one paying for it.

The same thing happened when I had an electrician come out to look at some wires in my home.
I was the one that called him,so he knew i was the homeowner,yet he focused the whole conversation on my guy friend even though he knew it was my house. The electrician even told my friend what type of tool I would need even though I was standing 2 feet from them. He was also showing him how to tighten a wire but my friend does not live here.

Easy. Look the guy in the eye and tell him you're the property owner so kindly discuss it with you,not the other person. As long as you remain silent in these situations it will never change.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:23 PM

2,158 posts, read 3,594,283 times
Quote:

I own a car repair shop and do NOT display this sexist attitude. Unfortunately some of my customers are stuck in it! Wife wants to let the husband do all the talking, including telling ME how to fix the car, even though he never drives it. My job at the service desk it to get all the information regarding symptoms that I can and type it into the repair order. So I talk to the Ms if she is the primary driver and ignore the husband.

Don in Austin

Old 03-02-2017, 07:31 PM

2,158 posts, read 3,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
From what I understand, it's a form of respect & professionalism amongst men.

A man should always assume a man and woman together are married or in relationship, so you talk to the man.
I have this horrible sinking feeling you are serious about that!

Don in Austin

Old 03-02-2017, 07:48 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times
I want to know why the guy is there.

I mean I have had friends come with me to car repair shops or been at my house when a repair man has shown up and visa versa but whenever the business is being done I am handling it and my friends are doing something else and not even listening. I do the same. If one of my friends is conducting business I start browsing air fresheners or something.

I will tell you that women have asked me to come to garages and car dealerships and even speak with them because they thought I would get a better deal.

If you invite a third party into your business any sensible person will assume there is a reason for this. Handle your own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships