Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 07:32 AM

10,502 posts, read 7,043,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
All that link shows is that younger people text a lot, which is not what I said. Is that the same as using texting as a "crutch"? NO? Imagine that. You're not even original in this tirade against millennials. Learn to think critically sometime.
Actually, you're the one who fails to think critically. When someone in his 20s texts twice as much daily as someone in his 40s, then it means they are twice as reliant on texting. It's mathematics. Okay, go and move the goalposts again.

And, by the way, the thread is only partially about texting. A lot also has to do with simple communication skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 08:07 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

And, by the way, the thread is only partially about texting. A lot also has to do with simple communication skills.

We have lost communication skills but I see it across the board.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:07 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,832,373 times
I have millenial children, and I agree, socialization is a real problem. No one talks on the phone anymore, all communication must be by text. I have also noticed they don't make very good retail employees, most seem to have an attitude and act like you should be serving them and not the other way around :-/

Old 03-16-2017, 08:08 AM

Another thing I have noticed is that they don't get together as much in person. They're just as content to text/facetime/play video games with their headphones and mics, and real life meetings take a backseat.

I believe this is part of the reason why teen pregnancy has plummeted.

It's a weird time to be alive.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:14 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
Another thing I have noticed is that they don't get together as much in person. They're just as content to text/facetime/play video games with their headphones and mics, and in real life communication just takes a backseat.

It's a weird time to be alive.
Hmmm....I don't see this with my millennial children or their friends. They use social media and texting - often to keep in touch with friends who no longer live nearby, or to make plans with a group. I see my kids' generation keeping in contact with friends and family much more than my generation did. Do they play videogames with their friends online? Sure, but not in lieu of getting together and doing something, but in addition to.

I think when we start generalizing about people and what most of "them" do, and tut-tutting, it's often incorrect - or at least incomplete.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Hmmm....I don't see this with my millennial children or their friends. They use social nedia and texting - often to keep in touch with friends who no longer live nearby, or to make plans with a group. I see my kids' generation keeping in contact with friends and family much more than my generation did. Do they play videogames with their friends online? Sure, but not in lieu of getting together and doing something, but in addition to.
My kids are introverted so maybe that plays a part. I am just so surprised, when I was a teen I was constantly out with my friends at the mall or each other's houses, etc. My kids seem content to veg in their rooms and use electronics to chat or play video games with friends.

Sometimes I feel like when I was young (I am 42) being at home was BORING. You left the house because you needed to leave to seek entertainment. Now that there is so much to do at home (internet, video games, phones/tablets/e-readers), Netflix, cable with 200+ channels, people are more likely to stay in and seek entertainment at home.

That has been my experience anyway. My kids are 20, 17, 16 and 12.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:27 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
My kids are introverted so maybe that plays a part. I am just so surprised, when I was a teen I was constantly out with my friends at the mall or each other's houses, etc. My kids seem content to veg in their rooms and use electronics to chat or play video games with friends.

Sometimes I feel like when I was young (I am 42) being at home was BORING. You left the house because you needed to leave to seek entertainment. Now that there is so much to do at home (internet, video games, phones/tablets/e-readers), Netflix, cable with 200+ channels, people are more likely to stay in and seek entertainment at home.

That has been my experience anyway. My kids are 20, 17, 16 and 12.
And when you were at the mall, hanging out with friends, some in your parent's generation were frustrated that you were lazy and not focused on important things, because after all, at that age they were working or in the military or at least studying harder than you were.

Our kids socialize differently than we did, just as we socialized differently than our parents did. It doesn't mean it's all negative. Edit- it may be more your introverted kids though, mine were definitely out and about throughout high school and college - and so were their friends. Be aware a whole generation isn't defined by what your kids are like. Every generation has it's share of introverts and extroverts.

My kids are in their 20s, out of college. They have certainly learned that social media is a tool that is only part of a balanced life.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:26 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,925,140 times
Perhaps people don't value your advice?

Old 03-16-2017, 12:08 PM

10,502 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Perhaps people don't value your advice?
Well, the fact that they call me first kind of rebuts that.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:32 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Oh, yes, indeed, I am a failure as a parent! That's why I quit being one when the kids turned 18. Just FYI, My DD didn't have her dental insurance handy and didn't know the new dentist's contact number. But, of course, I'm at fault because I should have made sure all this information was supplied to her---which I did---then she had a dental problem, and called Mom. Its completely my fault, I totally agree! Oh, is it also my fault that I keep her and my son on our medical and dental plan because they have no access to such plans through their PT-jobs? Yep, world's worst mom here
Your post said that she didn't know how to make an appointment because she refuses to use the phone, not because she didn't have the information needed. What you originally wrote is a much different scenario, but I guess the truth didn't fit into the millennial bashing theme of the thread, so it was easier to make jokes about your child being " mentally retarded".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships