Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2017, 03:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

My Gen X kids and communicate via text. One kid's partner, who is older, used email.

If someone asks for help, and then disappears from the conversation, then I think I'd drop it and move on. My guess is that the person sent a text to multiple people, got some sort of positive response, and then neglected to tie up loose ends with others who might have responded. And, yes, it is discourteous.

I believe that this sort of thing exists in all ages. It is thoughtlessness. I've known plenty of thoughtless Boomers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 03:48 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
I'm an older millennial (31) and grew up in that transitory period between phone use and texting, so I was forced to use a phone for much of my life - but I remember the first time I had unlimited texting as the greatest thing ever! I have pretty good in-person social skills and I can carry on a conversation, listen, ask pertinent questions, but I'm still super uncomfortable with phone calls.

I work in a career that requires me to take more phone calls than I'd like (maybe like 1-2 a day), and I take them, but sometimes it's awkward. When I back to my desk and see my voicemail light on my heart drops, because that means I have to call them back - which is way worse than taking the call. If they call, they lead the discussion. If I call, I have to lead. At least once a week I have to call someone back and when they pickup I get all awkward and bumble around my words like I've forgotten why I have them on the phone (and sometimes I have), but then when I get what information I need from the phone call I can write a clear, concise email with the associated attachments and information the person needs. It's like you're speaking with two different people.

I was always this way when it came to dating too. Meet a cute girl at the bar/club? Ugh, I don't know how to get her number, and then I'd have to call her? No, I suppose we'll just converse for the evening and call it good. If she gets mine, cool; if not, whatever. Meet a cute girl on the internet dating website? Oh, piece of cake! Get her number, text back and forth a bit, go on a few fun dates - this is great! I have no idea what it is, but I hate phones and I hate talking on them. Text me, facebook me, snapchat me, email me, send me a damn letter in the mail - great! But if I don't know you well, please don't call me.
That's me too. On every single point you wrote. Except I was even around to use the old school rotary phones.
Are u an Aggie? I'm a UNCG alum.

Last edited by cyn7cyn; 03-17-2017 at 03:59 PM..

Old 03-18-2017, 12:45 AM

310 posts, read 446,916 times
Millennials seem to be 5-10 years socially immature than what their parents were at that age. Is it because of computers, texting?

Last edited by Sunaimer; 03-18-2017 at 01:19 AM..

Old 03-18-2017, 07:34 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
I love when previous generations complain about the new ones, when THEY'RE the ones who raised them.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:23 AM

983 posts, read 932,073 times
Millenials aren't necessarily socially inept. The actual problem is that people ~40 and older have failed to keep up with how social interaction has changed, and think that texting is something only kids do in a causal setting and it can't be used for series conversations.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:09 PM

937 posts, read 743,990 times
I had a weird situation come up with a 20 year old nephew this week with him showing very poor manners. He moved cross country about an hour from us last fall. When he first arrived, we hosted him for a few weekends while he was getting settled treating him to a few very nice meals out and 3 square nice meals per day at our place. A few months later, he texted one night asking if he could crash at our place the next day, and if we could drive him to the airport at 5:30 am. I thought the lack of notice was a tad flaky, but let it go and was happy to help him out. He kept his car at our place, and I kept moving it around so it wouldn't get towed and he wouldn't have to pay for parking at the airport.

I texted him about a month ago to give him a heads up to say we'd like to drive up to his town, and take him and his girlfriend out to lunch in a few weeks to catch up. He said that sounded great. I then texted a few weeks later to ask if the following week would be okay on Sunday for lunch. No response to the text until five days later. He said 'so sorry just saw the text but that would be great.' I then texted back within 30 minutes and asked if Saturday would be okay instead of Sunday. It's now going on five days and no response! I'm shocked at how rude and inconsiderate my nephew is! I could never see my own kids ages 14 and 16 doing this to anyone!

He's done this before with not responding to texts, but I notice how quickly he responds when it's something he needs from us! Terrible manners! I'm not sure if this is a millennial thing or just self absorbed person thing. Either way, rude and I'm looking forward to ignoring his text next time he needs an airport ride!

This is the same nephew I had sent $200 to last year for graduation, and bought him a study guide program when he was practically failing out of college his first year. Such a self absorbed taker!

Old 03-18-2017, 06:05 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
I had a weird situation come up with a 20 year old nephew this week with him showing very poor manners. He moved cross country about an hour from us last fall. When he first arrived, we hosted him for a few weekends while he was getting settled treating him to a few very nice meals out and 3 square nice meals per day at our place. A few months later, he texted one night asking if he could crash at our place the next day, and if we could drive him to the airport at 5:30 am. I thought the lack of notice was a tad flaky, but let it go and was happy to help him out. He kept his car at our place, and I kept moving it around so it wouldn't get towed and he wouldn't have to pay for parking at the airport.

I texted him about a month ago to give him a heads up to say we'd like to drive up to his town, and take him and his girlfriend out to lunch in a few weeks to catch up. He said that sounded great. I then texted a few weeks later to ask if the following week would be okay on Sunday for lunch. No response to the text until five days later. He said 'so sorry just saw the text but that would be great.' I then texted back within 30 minutes and asked if Saturday would be okay instead of Sunday. It's now going on five days and no response! I'm shocked at how rude and inconsiderate my nephew is! I could never see my own kids ages 14 and 16 doing this to anyone!

He's done this before with not responding to texts, but I notice how quickly he responds when it's something he needs from us! Terrible manners! I'm not sure if this is a millennial thing or just self absorbed person thing. Either way, rude and I'm looking forward to ignoring his text next time he needs an airport ride!

This is the same nephew I had sent $200 to last year for graduation, and bought him a study guide program when he was practically failing out of college his first year. Such a self absorbed taker!
Yeah, that's complete lack of manners on your nephew's part. And the part about where he "just saw the text" 5 days later is also BS. He saw it, but just didn't consider it a priority to give you a response right away.

I think this is just a self absorbed type person thing. My cousin is the same way, and she's in her early 20's.

I'm 26, and I just abhor some of the behaviors of some people in my life.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:41 PM

937 posts, read 743,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Yeah, that's complete lack of manners on your nephew's part. And the part about where he "just saw the text" 5 days later is also BS. He saw it, but just didn't consider it a priority to give you a response right away.

I think this is just a self absorbed type person thing. My cousin is the same way, and she's in her early 20's.

I'm 26, and I just abhor some of the behaviors of some people in my life.
Thank you! I've kind of wondered if I'm overreacting to the situation and making too big of a deal of it so it's nice to read your comment agreeing that his behavior is so inconsiderate and rude. My husband kind of dismissed it as him being 'a dumb kid' but I beg to differ. Blowing off my texts trying to set up US taking HIM and HIS girlfriend out is pretty in your face unkind and rude! It's to the point where I don't think I really want much of anything to do with him moving forward. He certainly isn't making the effort except when he needs favors. It crosses over into self respect territory where you'd be a fool and pushover to keep being involved with someone who apparently has zero regard or interest in return.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:54 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Millenials aren't necessarily socially inept. The actual problem is that people ~40 and older have failed to keep up with how social interaction has changed, and think that texting is something only kids do in a causal setting and it can't be used for series conversations.
Not quite. I said earlier that bad manners go across all generations. I do notice(and this is in business situations) many millennials can't make eye contact. You can Google it and there are articles on it.

Probably due to always looking down at a device.

Not good on a job interview and not good when you run a business or trying to sell services to people, it makes you look dishonest. May not be the case but it's not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post

Yet you put up with it.

Did you get a thank you note for the $200?

This is either your or your husband's siblings son. I would say something to them and to him.

People treat you the way you allow them to.

For example lunch would now be off the table(no pun intended). If he texted you know and said Saturday would be great for him and the girlfriend, "gee we never had back from you, so we have now made other plans, too bad it was our treat".

Old 03-18-2017, 09:09 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
In my opinion, any serious conversation should be done either over the phone or in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships