Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 03:05 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,986,661 times

Advertisements

So, I have an acquaintance who I've known for 9 months, here at university. We met each other at a society and we hit it off from there.

It started off that he invited me out for coffee a few times, then he stopped that so I invited him. We've been out for coffee and a few meals umpteen different times. Which is fine, except he doesn't iniate contact with me outside the groups or outside the coffee/meals.

It's always me messaging him and inviting him. Never do I hear from him. We last went for lunch about two weeks ago, and I haven't heard from him since.

I am getting the impression that by not contacting me he is giving hints that he isn't interested in friendship? I'm kind of getting tired of always being the one to initiate things. I get the impression, that I wouldn't hear anything from him for weeks if I didn't initiate contact.

In anycase, any friendship I have has always been met with a constant back and forth dialogue, I don't have that with this "friendship" and to me that is a little odd.

I'm totally confused? If he doesn't want to be bothered, why does he keep meeting up? Should I stop bothering with him altogether and move on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 06:34 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,081,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Should I stop bothering with him altogether and move on?
Move on from what ?
There is no there there except your expectations ... but no-one else is aware of what you expect.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:23 PM

Aren't multiple invitations to meet up enough of an indication of my intentions? Do you not think that he should be returning the invite, at least once?

Last edited by GymFanatic; 05-20-2017 at 07:37 PM..

Old 05-20-2017, 07:54 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,570,574 times
Quote:
So, I have an acquaintance who I've known for 9 months, here at university. We met each other at a society and we hit it off from there.

It started off that he invited me out for coffee a few times, then he stopped that so I invited him. We've been out for coffee and a few meals umpteen different times. Which is fine, except he doesn't iniate contact with me outside the groups or outside the coffee/meals.

It's always me messaging him and inviting him. Never do I hear from him. We last went for lunch about two weeks ago, and I haven't heard from him since.

I am getting the impression that by not contacting me he is giving hints that he isn't interested in friendship? I'm kind of getting tired of always being the one to initiate things. I get the impression, that I wouldn't hear anything from him for weeks if I didn't initiate contact.

In anycase, any friendship I have has always been met with a constant back and forth dialogue, I don't have that with this "friendship" and to me that is a little odd.

I'm totally confused? If he doesn't want to be bothered, why does he keep meeting up? Should I stop bothering with him altogether and move on?
There you go then mate that's what most people's definition of what a friendship is and it's clearly its not the case here so that's your answer.

The reason why he does still meet you I'd guess is because it's when he doesn't have much else on so you're in reserve sort of thing.

Out of interest have you voiced your concerns to him about this at all?

Old 05-20-2017, 07:55 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,609,552 times
He probably has other friends that he also spends time with. Try to make some more friends yourself so you aren't so dependent on him for companionship.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
There you go then mate that's what most people's definition of what a friendship is and it's clearly its not the case here so that's your answer.

The reason why he does still meet you I'd guess is because it's when he doesn't have much else on so you're in reserve sort of thing.

Out of interest have you voiced your concerns to him about this at all?
I've been thinking about it. I don't want to rock the boat so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
He probably has other friends that he also spends time with. Try to make some more friends yourself so you aren't so dependent on him for companionship.
He does, but he also spends a lot of time studying in doors or relaxing, so free time for him is a plenty.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:00 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,570,574 times
Quote:
I've been thinking about it. I don't want to rock the boat so to speak.
I understand that but what's the alternative?

You carry on as you are and still feel unsure of yourself and uncertain of whether it is indeed a friendship or not or voicing your concerns and knowing what's what?

Old 05-20-2017, 08:03 PM

I don't know how to go about that without being confrontational. That's not my desired objective.

I don't want to annoy him anyway, his mother just died a year or two ago.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:04 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,609,552 times
Some people just aren't initiators. Is he a quiet or introverted person?

Old 05-20-2017, 08:06 PM

He has ADD. I don't know how that might manifest itself? I don't want to annoy him but I would like to get to the bottom of this for my own peace of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships