Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 05:08 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
No need to go against me mate as I was more or less agreeing with you and offering encouragement.
Fair enough pardner, on re-reading your post I realise that you were agreeing with me, but I dislike the foul smell of cigarettes so much, that just your mention of "emergency burn" put me into defence mode, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
If they died in a plane crash today you'd probably wish they were back there smoking on your balcony.
Jeez, you're a regular bundle of laughs, thanks a lot, I was tempted to use the British phrase, "are you SURE?", but as it's peculiar to these islands, it may not travel well, so I'll leave it, London Cowboy will know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraRhein View Post
They need to go outside far away from the house so you don't smell it. That is the respectful thing to do. So sure, tell them to go away during their cig breaks
It could be done Sara, my back yard is very long once you descend from the balcony in question down the steps to the rear patio, but in the semi permanent inclement weather that this sceptred isle suffers, I'd be loath to send anyone on a 100 a metre hike to the rear fence.
It would seem a tad churlish too, especially to relatives, "if you wish to smoke, please go as far from the house as possible."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
This is a thing? Tidy up after a party. Seven or eight days? Eew. You're a self proclaimed P.I.G. Nod to animal House...

Pigs are very intelligent and well behaved animals., so maybe I should have called you a human.
It's not an after party thing, it's a casual visit from one or other of my only two relatives that smoke.
It's your call Gerania, call me what you wish, but the ashtray in question is outside in the open air, on a patio garden furniture table, some 2.5 metres from a locked sliding patio door, even if either of the two push out windows were open there was zero aroma entering the house.
You had to get your nose within 25-30 centimetres of the ashtray to smell it, the only time the smell was noticeable, was when I brought the ashtray into the house to empty the water, and now that I have switched to sand there'll be no smell, I hope.
Sure, I was idle in leaving it out there for days at a time, but the longer I left it, the longer I went with un-stinky hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 05:27 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Fair enough pardner, on re-reading your post I realise that you were agreeing with me, but I dislike the foul smell of cigarettes so much, that just your mention of "emergency burn" put me into defence mode, sorry.

Jeez, you're a regular bundle of laughs, thanks a lot, I was tempted to use the British phrase, "are you SURE?", but as it's peculiar to these islands, it may not travel well, so I'll leave it, London Cowboy will know what I mean.

It could be done Sara, my back yard is very long once you descend from the balcony in question down the steps to the rear patio, but in the semi permanent inclement weather that this sceptred isle suffers, I'd be loath to send anyone on a 100 a metre hike to the rear fence.
It would seem a tad churlish too, especially to relatives, "if you wish to smoke, please go as far from the house as possible."

It's not an after party thing, it's a casual visit from one or other of my only two relatives that smoke.
It's your call Gerania, call me what you wish, but the ashtray in question is outside in the open air, on a patio garden furniture table, some 2.5 metres from a locked sliding patio door, even if either of the two push out windows were open there was zero aroma entering the house.
You had to get your nose within 25-30 centimetres of the ashtray to smell it, the only time the smell was noticeable, was when I brought the ashtray into the house to empty the water, and now that I have switched to sand there'll be no smell, I hope.
Sure, I was idle in leaving it out there for days at a time, but the longer I left it, the longer I went with un-stinky hands.
No apologies needed mate .... I'm quite SURE

Old 05-27-2017, 05:34 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
I don't smoke and I don't allow anyone to smoke in my house, on my patio or in my car. If you want to smoke, that's fine, but do it where I can't smell it. I hate the smell of smoke..cigarette and ganja..can't stand either one.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:58 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I don't smoke and I don't allow anyone to smoke in my house, on my patio or in my car. If you want to smoke, that's fine, but do it where I can't smell it. I hate the smell of smoke..cigarette and ganja..can't stand either one.
Ganja has a far greater malodorous odour than normal cigarettes and rank to high bloody heaven!

As a a casual smoker of only normal cigarettes I can't stand the smell of ganja either

Old 05-27-2017, 06:00 AM

761 posts, read 604,562 times
Any container with a lid..

Beach-type sand (can be found at a craft store or hardware)

nonbreakable containter like a foil lined nut container, or coffee can.

no sand will get wet once the lid is put on.

replace the container once it gets filled.

No washing. .... Or just buy one: Wall-mounted ashtray / stainless steel / for outdoor use / for public areas - BUTT.STOP - botton & gardiner urban furniture

Old 05-27-2017, 06:05 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
We want our guests to feel welcome. The few smokers we know can go outside on the patio to smoke, with a nice big ashtray and comfortable furniture.
It's nearly always warm here, so that's not an issue.

Old 05-27-2017, 06:52 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
I've never smoked, aside from the sixties, when I had a few joints, but marijuana was practically mandatory back then.
Smoking in bars never fazed me that much, if I felt like grabbing a few vodkas, that was part of the price I paid, although I definitely resented the fact that my clothes stank when I got in from a bar, or my pillow did too, from where it had all got into my hair, or if I 'got lucky', I'd sometimes wake up with my nose stuck in a non smoking woman's hair that had the stench of other people's cigarette smoke in it.
When the laws changed re smoking in the U.K. it was great to not smell of smoke when I got home, and as a licenced London taxi driver, I could legally stop people from lighting up in my cab.
So I'd appreciate some opinions on this.
I'm married now, and save for a niece and a nephew, not siblings, no one in our family smokes, but my wife has always allowed the niece and nephew to slide open the patio balcony door, step out, and smoke on our wide first floor balcony, this is what I think is the second floor to Americans.
To us, the one at ground level is the ground floor, go up to the next floor, and that's the first floor in the U.K.
My wife bought a special ashtray, which is filled almost to the top with water, this soon has butts floating on it, and the kids flick their ash over the railing into the garden below.
If the ashtray is out on the balcony table for more than 7 or 8 days, it begins to smell bad, so I empty the water into the kitchen sink, then scrape up the butts and put them in the garbage, this causes my hands to stink of stale tobacco, and I have to seriously scrub them to remove the smell.
I am thinking of laying down the law and saying, NO ONE SMOKES HERE, PERIOD!, but as the nephew is her brother's son-in-law, and the niece is her brother's daughter-in-law, I just KNOW she won't be happy to agree with me.
Would you bite the bullet, and allow smoking to continue, or put your foot down, knowing that it means WW3?
Most people who do not smoke would never allow other's to smoke on their property near their open doorways or windows.

Here in the U.S. most apartment complexes, businesses do not allow smoking within 20 feet of their entrance doors or windows. I'm not sure what guidelines are where you live, but use those guidelines and put a stop to this discourteous behavior by your relatives.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:36 AM

404 posts, read 1,245,184 times
Another simple solution: I keep a decorative bowl on the patio with cheap baking soda on the bottom to absorb odor; it works. Cleanup is a non-issue and no concern about our visitors looking for a quick exit to smoke a cigarette. When they leave, dump in a baggie and dispose, that's that.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:54 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTJ View Post
A worldwide law requiring all people to be chain-smokers starting in infancy would stop all of this fighting.

I'm just trying to be as extreme in the opposite direction to show compromise might be reasonable.

I'm old, so I grew up in the era where everyone who wanted to smoke smoked wherever and whenever they wanted, and anyone who complained was considered insane. Is there anyone else on here over 60 who feels like they need 2 brains to somehow feel both extremes are correct?
Well, I'm not over 60 yet.. next month..Lol.. but I remember smoking in the hospitals, doctors office, clothing stores.. You name it and people smoked there. Time's are a changin' bud.. Nowadays smokers are treated like they've got the plague.

If smokers visit.. your house, your rules, but I really see no reason why they can't smoke outside. Like other's have suggested give them an empty can filled with sand or cat litter, and then just throw it away after they leave. If you're worried about fire.. just spritz the inside of the can with a hose and then chuck it. No muss, no fuss.. It doesn't sound like they visit often so I don't see that it's a big deal.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:02 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
Quote:
If all of that is a case, then I'm having a hard time understanding why it's such a big deal. You seem uptight, OP. Really uptight. Chill out a little, and realize that "stinky hands" aren't the worst thing that can happen to a man lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships