Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 04:10 PM

7,217 posts, read 4,912,288 times

Advertisements

Many many. I have a bunch of people I've known for 30+ years, some of my best friends.

Met my husband at work. We'll be married 40 years in July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 04:11 PM

11,578 posts, read 6,784,190 times
I've always been friendly with most of my co-workers, but I usually kept it as a work relationship because I was always in a management role. I never wanted anyone to feel I was giving special treatment. Not to mention, if the relationship goes South it could cause problems at work.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:32 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,433,483 times
I'm friends still with peers I went to HS with 45 yrs ago and worked with, in ERs across states from FL, CA, CO, NC, TX, MA plus peers from a candle biz from the 80s. It was more difficult to stay in touch prior to Facebook but since 2008 some of us keep in daily touch now. We celebrate, laugh, sometimes cry (with the passing of spouses), but mainly support one another in our aging years.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:19 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,620,463 times
Never. We were always so busy in the hospital with patients, there was no time to make friends. We worked all different shifts constantly and were always moved around to various departments. The minute a few patients were discharged, one or two nurses were sent home. There just wasn't ever time to make real friends, even we helped each other out at work. Kind sad really since I worked 56 hrs a week!

Old 05-31-2017, 07:53 PM

3,094 posts, read 1,702,414 times
Practically all of my best, closest friends were through work. I do have a few friendships from childhood, but most are people I once worked with (didn't necessarily get along that well with one of them on the job, but we manage to remain friends nevertheless and she's retired now).

Old 05-31-2017, 09:11 PM

3,142 posts, read 2,052,791 times
Never. Mainly, working in male dominated fields, it's tough enough enduring jibes, jeers, leers for 10+ hrs. I've always found my workplaces mentally exhausting... combined with a 3-4 hr daily commute, when I've arrived home, I just want to collapse in quiet. I know... I'm an utter joy.

Actually, I'm very introverted, but having to jump over the hurdle of forcing myself to be gregarious all day long just depletes me beyond words. Even if I enjoyed the company of coworkers, being with them all day long wouldn't make me want to spend even more time with them when off work. I'm very Greta Garbo.

I'm looking for a job in a new field that is not dominated by any particular sex, age. I'm hoping it will be the opposite of what I've have before. I think it would be cool to at least want to have lunch with coworkers. Now, not on your bleedin' life.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:44 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,430,066 times
I'd be hard pressed to call most of my co-workers from the past 40+ years "friends" in the strictest definition of the word. Most are acquaintances of the moment.

But, there are five or six that would certainly fit that bill, most from 30 or so years ago. Time has put some miles between us but the bond is still there. Rare times together we seem to pick up as if we'd seen each other only yesterday. We had mutual interests that went beyond the job and that, I think, is the key.

There were many co-workers I hung around with, tight as ticks on a gym sock we seemed. But, job ended, changed, and we fell away naturally. Nothing in common anymore.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:10 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,249,442 times
I met my bff at work in 1978, still friends. We had kids, our kids are friends, had vacations and trips together. We have another friend from there and have seen each other through weddings, births, divorces and deaths. I keep in touch with this one via email sometimes 50 a day. I said that this was like passing notes in school, writing emails all day while at work LOL. We have a group of friends from there, we don't see them as often but have kept in touch over the years with them occasionally.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:12 AM

212 posts, read 157,725 times
I've thought I made friends before at work and got stabbed in the back. I may have personal conversations with people I like at work and it may feel like a friendship, but it doesn't go beyond maybe a lunch break together.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:21 AM

1,643 posts, read 1,672,460 times
I've met several great acquaintances who I occasionally hang out with and a few close friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships