Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 11:23 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,771,805 times

Advertisements

As I come closer to hitting my thirties, I'm seeing my friends have the weddings, the baby showers, sending their kids to school for the first time, celebrating their parents 25th and up anniversaries. I'm seeing the joy in their eyes and more and more because of the life choices I've made, I get a little saddened when I realized these things will not be a part of my life. What I mean:

- I've decided that I'm not interested in marriage.
- I've LONG decided that I do not want any children.
- I've probably reached the height of my education career with completing a hard program.
- One parent is dead and one is done with looking for love (probably for the best.)

So anyone who has decided on a childfree or anti-marriage life, how do you deal with the fact you won't hit some of life's biggest checkpoints?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 11:44 AM

29,752 posts, read 34,428,618 times
Last time I was at my parents' house, we were going through old photo albums and talking about genealogy and family history. Even though I'm perfectly fine with not having children, it really hit me then that my line ends here. There will be no future generations that look like me or whom I can pass things (both heirlooms and stories) down to. It's a little sad, but as Kelly said in 90210, I choose my choice--me.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 05-09-2017 at 12:00 PM..

Old 05-09-2017, 11:51 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,204,631 times
You admit yourself that you have made these decisions by choice.

Which is different than wanting marriage and not finding someone, wanting children and being unable to have them, or going further in school. Parents' longevity and relationship status you have no choice in.

It seems to me that those milestones come with the territory not chosen. You have three items on the list of four that you could still act on. Otherwise, you reconcile with the fact that you took another path. I don't know how you do that, but why the regrets if you don't at least make the attempt to change paths?

Old 05-09-2017, 11:51 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,157,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
So anyone who has decided on a childfree or anti-marriage life, how do you deal with the fact you won't hit some of life's biggest checkpoints?
I have never wanted children, and have never thought of having children as "hitting one of life's biggest checkpoints." It's not one of MY checkpoints. I never give it any thought, other than "I'm glad we don't have kids," which does go through my mind fairly often.

OP, the sadness you are feeling probably means you should re-evaluate your choices.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:52 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
As I come closer to hitting my thirties, I'm seeing my friends have the weddings, the baby showers, sending their kids to school for the first time, celebrating their parents 25th and up anniversaries. I'm seeing the joy in their eyes and more and more because of the life choices I've made, I get a little saddened when I realized these things will not be a part of my life. What I mean:

- I've decided that I'm not interested in marriage.
- I've LONG decided that I do not want any children.
- I've probably reached the height of my education career with completing a hard program.
- One parent is dead and one is done with looking for love (probably for the best.)

I'm married.
And I've been there for the birth of my 2 kids (I thought I'd have to deliver the second one!).

I wouldn't count any of those days as some the biggest highs or biggest checkpoints of my life. They are NOTHING compared to the day to day joys of being with my wife or laughing with my son or being beat up by my 2 year old daughter. And I literally had the best wedding I have ever been to (best venue, best food, best vistas, short ceremony, plenty booze...lol). Those memories are there, but they have faded to a pleasant fuzzy thing.

I think if I were you, I'd remind myself that the party or one-time event seems bigger than it is because of the fanfare. Fanfare always makes things look better than they are (like the new McDonald's french fry fork).

Old 05-09-2017, 11:54 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,157,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's a little sad, but as Kelly said in 90210, I choose my choice.
What she said was "I choose me."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGk9E4oKYYI

Old 05-09-2017, 11:58 AM

926 posts, read 753,480 times
Well......I'm not actually "anti-marriage", but I figure that since I've reached my late 30s without having a wedding, it's not meant to happen.

There's also the fact that I feel it's near-impossible to find a guy whom I'd be happy with, and who would still be conservative/"mom-friendly" enough to fit in with my family.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:01 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
What she said was "I choose me."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGk9E4oKYYI
Man.
At least I had the class to correct her in a PM.

LOL

Ah, Kelly. What a piece of work.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:04 PM

29,752 posts, read 34,428,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Man.
At least I had the class to correct her in a PM.

LOL

Ah, Kelly. What a piece of work.
In my defense, it's been, like, 20 years, and I don't have scripts memorized.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:12 PM

15,804 posts, read 20,545,286 times
I was anti-marriage and anti-children for the longest time. I thought I was happy with all my free time and ability to blow cash on anything I wanted, but I guess deep down it saddened me a tiny bit.

So, in my mid 30's I got married, and wife and I are expecting our 3rd this fall. Couldn't be happier right now in my life.

OP, reevaluate your choices, and decide what is right for you. If you long for such things, make some changes. Other than that, none of our opinions matter as to what is right for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships