Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 09:44 PM

810 posts, read 670,290 times

Advertisements

graphic designer here. constructive criticism is a part of the game..... don't be afraid to dish it out. Also willing to bet that every single one of the fonts used were either the ones that came with their computer or illegally used without a valid end user license agreement. Have you friend check if these fonts were properly licensed. My money is on you'll never hear from the "designer" again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 02:11 AM

10,941 posts, read 7,480,721 times
I think you should tell the artist, not the vendor.

If you tell the vendor, he might refuse to take any more work from that artist--kind of like tattling to mom.

If you tell the artist, she has an opportunity to correct the spelling and replace the faulty items.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:05 AM

6,807 posts, read 4,501,675 times
Of course I would tell him or her. The real question is why shouldn't I?

Old 07-22-2017, 08:41 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,239,070 times
Graphic designer here too. Absolutely tell the designer, they can fix it faster than waiting for the vendor to fix it. In fact cc them both and tell them both. This is a business, no feelings to hurt there.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:05 AM

922 posts, read 797,802 times
Speaking as a Grammar Nazi, I would definitely let the artist know. IMHO, anyone who puts out a "professional" product should, at the very least, proofread it before offering it to the public.

I have worked with many people with college degrees that still can't spell, and seem to be clueless how bad it makes them look. This is a particularly sore spot with me. I once sent a letter to the Station Manager at a local television station after the station announced a "torando" warning.

I hate being this way.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:49 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,392,723 times
Default 5 MILLION MARLE CUT MAVHINE, broshure spelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Someone I know was going to order a poster online that consisted of different words in a variety of fonts. It looked very cool but she noticed there were some words that were misspelled. She passed on placing the order but was trying to decide whether it was worth reaching out to the artist or to the vendor to let them know about the errors.

What would you do in that situation? Or conversely, if you were the artist, how would you feel about being told about these mistakes?

My suggestion was to go to the vendor rather than the artist because it's less personal. But I also think it was a big misstep by the vendor because their quality control should have picked up the errors before putting the product on their website.
You'd THIMK a company selling a 5 million dollar US marble machine would grab their kids Engrish friend and double check their sperrling in their brochure. In Vancouvers' Chinatown on Main there's "Pracital Plubing". Where I am is appears the large .com listing on the highway billboard is missing a letter in their email!! There's a van in Vancouver that offers Exarct glass cutting. You could start a collection.

I mean, like, we're all in a hurry but a little proof reading pays off large!!

Last edited by toosie; 07-22-2017 at 06:21 PM..

Old 07-22-2017, 09:15 PM

866 posts, read 632,593 times
Red face Be polite

Yes and I'd do it with respect and kindness. I'd be polite about HELPING them.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:20 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,295,807 times
glad to hear from the graphic artists who commented - interesting to me that you'd rather be told directly, because to the person who noticed the issue, that felt more awkward and she was more comfortable contacting the vendor instead since it felt a bit more distant and not like a personal criticism.

It was definitely intended to be helpful though!

Old 07-24-2017, 09:21 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,295,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deletidy View Post
OP, hope you do tell them the mistakes or they'll never know and keep doing it, and lose business. Betting it's apostrophes on plurals because it seems everyone is doing this and people think it's normal now.
nope, it was actual misspelled words. But the apostrophe thing drives me nuts! (or should I say nut's?? lol!)

Old 07-24-2017, 09:55 AM

810 posts, read 670,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
glad to hear from the graphic artists who commented - interesting to me that you'd rather be told directly, because to the person who noticed the issue, that felt more awkward and she was more comfortable contacting the vendor instead since it felt a bit more distant and not like a personal criticism.

It was definitely intended to be helpful though!
Art is subjective but mistakes can be made. That said, It's one thing to dislike the way something was drawn or disapprove of a font that's being used. It's quite another for a word to simply be misspelled. That's a technical mistake along the lines of saving a file in the wrong format or forgetting to use a fill color you discussed. Nothing subjective about that. The artist just dropped the ball on that one.

If you want to alert them of a technical mistake w/out a big stink you could say something like "Hi. The design is coming along great! Everything looks good so far but it looks like you've misspelled this word though."

No more trouble/effort than it would take to tell a waiter your steak was slightly overdone. No designer worth their salt would take it personal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships