Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2017, 06:20 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times

Advertisements

So what happens if she uses your spaces anyway? Can you have her vehicles ticketed?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 06:26 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
So what happens if she uses your spaces anyway? Can you have her vehicles ticketed?
My contractors (at least some of them) will be there long before she is. Her vehicles can be ticketed and towed by the city. Though I doubt they will tow her moving van.

We are really talking about a minor inconvenience for her movers. They will have to carry things a few extra feet. During our own move, we had to park across the street during one unload and it was not a huge deal.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:34 AM

6,708 posts, read 5,939,550 times
Maybe you can "compromise" by offering the parking spot during specific times when the contractor doesn't need it--11pm to 5am.

Then they can't say you didn't try.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:13 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,460,871 times
Despite the description of this neighbors perceived attitude,I would:
Realize this is a one day (few hours) of compromise. Allow the movers the spot for three/four hours. This gives them time to unload the items. Maybe suggest she offer a monetary donation for the use of that space to compensate for the contract workers. I would offer to buy them a pizza or some donuts if I was this neighbor.
Since it's a one and done request..I see it as a hospitable act.
I've given my park spot to neighbors ...Even the grouchy ones. They had one less thing to convince them people are 'entitled'.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Despite the description of this neighbors perceived attitude,I would:
Realize this is a one day (few hours) of compromise. Allow the movers the spot for three/four hours. This gives them time to unload the items. Maybe suggest she offer a monetary donation for the use of that space to compensate for the contract workers. I would offer to buy them a pizza or some donuts if I was this neighbor.
Since it's a one and done request..I see it as a hospitable act.
I've given my park spot to neighbors ...Even the grouchy ones. They had one less thing to convince them people are 'entitled'.
Unfortunately this is not possible. To give up the spaces on the day she is asking, even for a few hours while work is going on, will set my kitchen remodel back a few weeks. Its a very costly act of hospitality on this day in particular. She had told my mate when she was doing her over the fence chat that they were moving in the week BEFORE, and during that time, it would not have been that big of a deal. But now that we are at a crucial point in the process, I just can't help her out.

Again, the WORST that would happen to her is that her movers would need to carry items across a not very busy street or a few extra feet. The worst that would happen to me is that my very expensive and time consuming remodel would be delayed until I could get the plumber, electrician, carpenter, and counter top person together on the same day again. It took me about a month to coordinate that in the first place. I explained to her that the day in question was a "bad day" and why I couldn't comply with her demand/request. I don't know if she has ever remodeled a kitchen in a 140 some odd year old house, but its quite the undertaking.

The entire presentation of this problem came at almost 10pm a few days before it was set to happen. What does that goofy office sign always say "poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine?" Particularly so if you just assume that I will be able to help without even knowing me or what is going on in my world AND you pepper your requests with comments about my "mess" in my home. Again, not going to endear you to me.

Last edited by emotiioo; 09-17-2017 at 07:38 AM..

Old 09-17-2017, 07:39 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
We had a neighbor we have never met ring the doorbell at 9:45pm yesterday to request we give her our parking space for her upcoming move. I have never had contact with this person previously and would not have answered the door except we had a friend leave about 15 mins before and thought it was just him returning because he had forgotten something.

We can't give her the space as we need it for a contractor who is doing work on our house. In fact, we have had several workers coming on the day she requested and got permission for additional street parking from the city. We posted signs as is the process (and paid a fee to do this). She wanted us to take them down so she could use the spaces.

She then made a comment that we had a "real mess" in the house as she peeked into our foyer. Well yeah, we are undergoing a remodel. That tends to be messy. She was very put out that we would not comply with her. I finally said "I don't know what to tell you. We have to go to bed now. It was nice to meet you. " when it was clear she didn't want to leave.

She had poked her head over the fence while my SO was trimming the lawn a week or two ago and peppered him with questions about whether we were "renters" or owned the place, commenting that we were "young to live in such a nice area." I really am a keep-to-myself type and since buying the house in July, I couldn't name two others who live on the street. That is fine with me. This person and her husband are retirees and from her comments to my mate, she seems upset/curious that we are living in the same upscale area as her. This seems nosy.

The parking thing smacks of entitlement to me. I have a legit reason to use the spaces. I went through the process to secure them. She has owned the house since June and is just now moving in. Seems like she could have easily carved out a plan before now.

My mate, who is nicer than me, said it would just be easier to give her the space. It probably would. But I need them. What would you do?
I personally would do what I wanted about the parking space. I'd be nice about it, maybe say something funny and do what you want. She's nosy, too, with too much time on her hands. They'll be other issues for her, I'm sure. Cut all conversations short. Be courteous, but don't engage in anything much except a hello. Just wave and smile and keep moving. Eventually she'll know you aren't going to give in to her or say much to her and she'll find someone else to bug.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:41 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
I would have told her not to call after 8 pm in the future. However, I don't think it is out of line to request the use of a neighbor's parking space for a few hours while moving. In OP's case, it isn't possible to let the neighbor use the parking. A "no" with a very good reason should have been the end of it.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Love the comment about selling the bigger house!
My mate says we should rent a Bentley and park it in the space.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:14 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I would have told her not to call after 8 pm in the future. However, I don't think it is out of line to request the use of a neighbor's parking space for a few hours while moving. In OP's case, it isn't possible to let the neighbor use the parking. A "no" with a very good reason should have been the end of it.
I've lived in 3 different cities and never heard of curbside spaces on a public street "belonging" to anyone. It's always been "first come, first served" every place I've lived. Especially the neighborhood I'm in now, the houses were built for the most part before cars existed on a grand scale. Late 1800's.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I've lived in 3 different cities and never heard of curbside spaces on a public street "belonging" to anyone. It's always been "first come, first served" every place I've lived. Especially the neighborhood I'm in now, the houses were built for the most part before cars existed on a grand scale. Late 1800's.
Exactly. She has a driveway and there is a large zone in front of her home for "drop off" but not long term parking. No idea why she can't use this. The spaces in front of my house begin street parking. You have a resident sticker to park there and its first come first served. If you need the spaces for longer term reservation, you go through the city and get a sign and a space blocked off/recorded that you paid for it for whatever period of time. Which is what I did. Its common with construction-- there are a few places further up my street that have this happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships