Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 08:32 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,025,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Anyone that texts during a funeral service is a moron in my book.
I actually take that back. "Moron" is too nice. That implies someone is not smart enough to
know better.

Texting during a funeral is thoughtless, insensitive, selfish, self-centered, unsympathetic, uncaring, impolite, discourteous, rude, and disrespectful

Old 11-11-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
To the OP: the solution is simple, dont go.. cut selfish people out of your life.
I think I can keep the friendship without going out to eat together as much.
Her actions with her texting are selfish but she isn't a totally selfish person.
She has done lots to help me & others and I have done the same for her.
I think it is a nervous-stress habit of hers.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:17 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,666,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
At a funeral. In a movie. At a lunch with friends.

Where, pray tell, is texting allowable? Only in the bathroom with the door locked? Hiding under the covers in bed? In an oubliette? In space?

Sounds like you have a serious personal problem with people using phones. Notice the use of the phrase "personal problem." If you are a Luddite who hates technology, so be it, but at some point you should understand that the pond you are swimming in contains others who make ample use of it. Some of those people really might not give a flying fig that you want them to turn off a phone. I can say with confidence that if you ever tried to chide me for what you thought was inappropriate phone usage you would not enjoy the activities that followed. I am frankly surprised that you have not had at least one unpleasant encounter with push back or a phone upside the head based on your tone when recounting these stories. But keep it up and your day may come.
So you would be OK with meeting a friend to tell them some bad news about your health, and instead of focusing on you stared down at their phone?

Or you're looking to invest some money with a financial firm and the person you're dealing with is playing with their phone and half listening to your concerns and questions?

No one is saying only text when you're alone, but why go out with people and not interact with them and spend most of the time on your phone?

One poster commented how you see two people sitting at a table, one is texting and the other looks bored.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:32 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,062,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I wasn't a moron. I was 3 hours from home and letting my husband know I arrived safely and when I was leaving. You are a very judgmental person. I can only imagine why your friend texts when she's with you.
No, she's not. It's the height of rudeness to text in the middle of a funeral. Either that or a total lack of impulse control on your part. What? You couldn't text your husband when you shifted your car into Park?

I'm amazed at how people can rationalize just about anything.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

I'm amazed at how people can rationalize just about anything.
Isn't that the truth.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I can say with confidence that if you ever tried to chide me for what you thought was inappropriate phone usage you would not enjoy the activities that followed. I am frankly surprised that you have not had at least one unpleasant encounter with push back or a phone upside the head based on your tone when recounting these stories. But keep it up and your day may come.
You solve your differences with violence and you think I have control issues LOL ???
I wonder what Emily Post thinks of your violent tendencies.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:04 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,591,685 times
"I set it (the phone) inconspicuously next to me on the seat when dining with friends so I can glance at it to make sure any texts aren’t urgent"

absurd. People got along for centuries without this inflated, fabricated, undue, phony, self-important sense of false urgency and false need-to-know.

Last edited by matisse12; 11-11-2017 at 02:18 PM..

Old 11-11-2017, 03:32 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,253,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
"I set it (the phone) inconspicuously next to me on the seat when dining with friends so I can glance at it to make sure any texts aren’t urgent"

absurd. People got along for centuries without this inflated, fabricated, undue, phony, self-important sense of false urgency and false need-to-know.
Silly logic. People got along for centuries without electric lights. And I think people got along without the inflated, self-important sense that demanded the other party's full and undivided attention for every second of their presence.

See folks, the problem with this issue is that everyone draws their own boundaries and sees their own behaviour as the model for the guidelines.

Some here shake their head when they see two people at another table, one is texting and the other looks bored. Meanwhile, some here shaketheir head when they see two people at a table, both texting and looking content.

Some think it's ok to text all you want, some thinks it's ok for a few minutes here and there, and some think it's not ok at all.

Some think it's ok to set the phone on the table and glance at it to see if it is urgent. Others get bent at the mere sight of the phone. And others even want to collect them up and put them in a lockbox.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:51 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,460,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
You solve your differences with violence and you think I have control issues LOL ???
I wonder what Emily Post thinks of your violent tendencies.
Wow, you are a very literal sort aren't you?

"Push back" means not acquiescing to rude demands or scolding. For example "Can YOU put your PHONE away??! OH MY GOD you are SO disturbing our Bellinis! IMAGINE!" could be countered with "Do you mind not trying to shame an adult in front of other adults? You do? Okay. This is the last time I join you for brunch. And let me tell you exactly what I think of your drama creation.... "

A phone upside the head might come your way if you swan around with your dramatic scolding and end up tangling with the wrong person. A work colleague is in the hospital after asking a young teenager not to play a loud video game during a movie preview. Mom didn't take kindly to her tone. It did not end well for her. Like you, she is someone who is uncomfortable with technology and thinks she can impose her idea of decorum on others.

All I am saying is that if you continue to call people morons, tell them they are rude and stupid, one day you will meet someone who isn't going to just grin and bear your queen-of-the-world act. Whether or not I agree that people should or shouldn't text or use a cell phone in a certain place, your whole approach leaves a LOT to be desired. I do feel sorry for your "friend."

Old 11-11-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Wow, you are a very literal sort aren't you?

"Push back" means not acquiescing to rude demands or scolding. For example "Can YOU put your PHONE away??! OH MY GOD you are SO disturbing our Bellinis! IMAGINE!" could be countered with "Do you mind not trying to shame an adult in front of other adults? You do? Okay. This is the last time I join you for brunch. And let me tell you exactly what I think of your drama creation.... "

A phone upside the head might come your way if you swan around with your dramatic scolding and end up tangling with the wrong person. A work colleague is in the hospital after asking a young teenager not to play a loud video game during a movie preview. Mom didn't take kindly to her tone. It did not end well for her. Like you, she is someone who is uncomfortable with technology and thinks she can impose her idea of decorum on others.

All I am saying is that if you continue to call people morons, tell them they are rude and stupid, one day you will meet someone who isn't going to just grin and bear your queen-of-the-world act. Whether or not I agree that people should or shouldn't text or use a cell phone in a certain place, your whole approach leaves a LOT to be desired. I do feel sorry for your "friend."
Does your forum name "emotiioo" stand for emotional. Fitting.
Your posts ramble.
There isn't much left to discuss. Obviously we have opposite
viewpoints about cell phone manners.

Last edited by kelly237; 11-11-2017 at 04:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.