Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 09:13 PM

33,021 posts, read 36,588,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
We have a friend (single and in his 40s) who we offered to take out to a restaurant for his birthday. Instead of saying "sure I would love to go" or "no, I have other plans, but thank you" the individual responded by inviting himself over to our home to drink and eat.

We replied by saying we were happy to take him out as offered or could have him over another time, but his birthday falls in the middle of a busy work period and we just don't have the capacity to entertain at home during this time. He has still not said yes or no to a restaurant dinner.

Is it me, or is it really rude to respond to an invite with a counter offer?
Maybe clueless? Family tradition? Doesn't want to sit at home on his birthday?

Have him come over and cook dinner for you, then clean up. That sounds like a plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 09:59 PM

3,115 posts, read 2,039,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Maybe clueless? Family tradition? Doesn't want to sit at home on his birthday?

Have him come over and cook dinner for you, then clean up. That sounds like a plan.
In previous posts the OP has stated he's complaining to friends now about their invite. Probably not tradition, as they're friends & it doesn't sound like this was an issue before. Doesn't want to sit home... yeah, they invited to buy him dinner... he's not going to be at home alone, unless he continues to be rude. Clueless? That & unappreciative, from the sound of it.

Inviting him over & assigning him chef responsibilities wasn't in their plans, as they've already said... as working people, it's mid-week, so they kindly offered to take him to dinner.

The approach at this point is to be blunt. "We offered you b'day dinner at a restaurant & are calling to confirm. If you're not okay with that, as we've heard through the grapevine, perhaps we can extend ourselves another time & you can make other plans."

WTHeck else can they do? And, what's wrong with this guy? He took a lovely gesture & turned it into a chore & a drag for his "friends".

Old 11-01-2017, 12:10 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,803,184 times
Gosh, after about 18 (possibly 21 max), aren't birthdays kind of "for kids"?

Old 11-01-2017, 02:57 AM

11,024 posts, read 7,886,542 times
First world problems.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:50 AM

9,444 posts, read 6,612,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I would think that, but he just talked to my mate and said that he wanted to go to the most expensive restaurant in town....as well as complained that we weren't going to have him over.

Gee, I wonder why he's single and in his 40's.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:58 AM

666 posts, read 647,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
What an odd idea. No. Must everything be "for kids"?

OP is this friend a big drinker or something? From a couple of posts it almost seems like he wants to come to your place more to drink.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:25 AM

88,869 posts, read 85,336,177 times
Quote:
Adults celebrate birthdays all the time, especially milestones. You've never noticed this before?

Old 11-01-2017, 05:54 AM

6,585 posts, read 8,455,720 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm abnormal but I have a birthday every year.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:57 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,468,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
What an odd idea. No. Must everything be "for kids"?

OP is this friend a big drinker or something? From a couple of posts it almost seems like he wants to come to your place more to drink.
Drinking is part of it. He knows I don't cook so the "home cooked meal" angle isn't that. We do have a nice place and he has hinted before that we should host a party for him. I thought he might be kidding. Guess not!

Old 11-01-2017, 06:58 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,468,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
With friends like that, who needs enemies?

I'm rather blunt when it comes to personal relationships, with that kind of thing I'd be calling them up and say that given the confusion, other plans fell into place and maybe everyone can get together some other time in the future. I'd then wait for THEM to plan it.

Thankfully I've culled those kinds of 'friends' from my life. Too much work.
This is an excellent way to word it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships