Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 05:01 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,051,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's there in the original post. It's clear the rudeness is the purpose of the thread. The OP even asked, "Is this rude..." in her original post.
Agreed.

Many embellishments were indeed added as it went on, but the basic question of rudeness was brought up in #1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 06:17 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,814,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's there in the original post. It's clear the rudeness is the purpose of the thread. The OP even asked, "Is this rude..." in her original post.
I agree. The OP asked whether the behavior of the friend/acquaintance was rude because they asked to come to the OP's house instead of going out to eat. When it was pointed out that maybe the friend just wanted to save the OP money, it came out that the friend then asked to be taken to THE most expensive restaurants AND complained about not being invited over to the OP's home. That's all.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:57 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,644,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Depends on how close a friend he is. It's his birthday.

You could always limit the time he's there to the same amount of time you'd have spent going out.
He is also in his 40's. Time for him to grow up.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:09 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Because taking someone to dinner only requires getting in your car (taxi, bus, etc), sitting down, eating, and saying good night. Having someone over requires cleaning up beforehand, cooking or ordering food, setting up the food/drinks, cleaning up afterwards, etc. Having guests over is MUCH more time-consuming and physically draining than simply going to a restaurant. Why do you think busy people/families eat out more often than dining at home, even if it ends up costing more money?
Don't know why so many eat out all the time and don't care.
We ate out a lot after my stroke but once I could get back to the kitchen I did and still do.
Mr. CSD is not a cook and it was exhausting with him tending to me the first year after the stroke and being out of the hospital.
In regards to your post, one should have their home cleaned up already, if one cooks supper anyway I do not see where the time consuming more than driving to a restaurant is, cleaning up afterward is also a regular chore after one cooks a meal at home *in theory people keep their homes clean*, having a guest is no more taxing or physically draining than getting into the vehicle, driving to a restaurant, waiting to be seated, being seated, ordering drinks, waiting on them, ordering dinner, waiting on it, etc.
Cooking at home is in my experience always cheaper than going out to a restaurant however,
if you believe otherwise *it must be true*.......

PS ~~ I suppose the downside of eating at home is the lack of ability to complain about the guest choosing *the most expensive restaurant in town*...

Old 11-01-2017, 07:15 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
Gosh, after about 18 (possibly 21 max), aren't birthdays kind of "for kids"?
I think the idea that an adult should “do whatever he wants” on his birthday when his friends have made a gracious offer (he counter offered) is certainly absurd. “It’s your day, we can do whatever you’d like!” is what a parent tells an 8 year old. It isn’t the attitude a grown man should have when his friends kindly offer to take him to dinner to celebrate.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:29 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Gee, I wonder why he's single and in his 40's.
I know you're just being funny, but as a single 41 year-old (woman) I have to say - some of us actually LIKE being single! Believe it or not, we don't all dream of being married with children. In fact, my married/parent friends sometimes confide that they envy my freedom and lifestyle.

In other words, being single over 40 doesn't necessarily mean you CAN'T get a partner. Trust me, if I wanted one I could have gotten one by now.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Don't know why so many eat out all the time and don't care.
Different strokes for different folks, as they say. As for myself, I'm single with no roommates and work late hours (usually not getting home until 8-9pm). So if I can pick up a $9 pizza or something on the way home, why not? When I actually cook a meal, it takes time and often about half of it goes to waste... so it's just not worth the effort, unless I'm craving something homemade like spaghetti. Usually I meet myself halfway, though, and do prepared or frozen meals that are simply heated at home.

Quote:
In regards to your post, one should have their home cleaned up already
Haha. SHOULD and DOES are two different things.

Again, people who work long hours, and especially for those of us who live alone, keeping the house spotless enough for guests isn't always a reality. I try to keep it presentable, but heavy housecleaning is only accomplished MAYBE once a week. Who am I trying to impress, when it's just me and the pets at home? And even if you do keep the place generally clean, "guest-worthy clean" is usually a step above.

Quote:
if one cooks supper anyway I do not see where the time consuming more than driving to a restaurant is, cleaning up afterward is also a regular chore after one cooks a meal at home *in theory people keep their homes clean*, having a guest is no more taxing or physically draining than getting into the vehicle, driving to a restaurant, waiting to be seated, being seated, ordering drinks, waiting on them, ordering dinner, waiting on it, etc.
As you said yourself, this is only "in theory." In reality, many of us do NOT keep our homes that clean or bother cleaning the dishes immediately after cooking. I don't have a dishwasher currently, so admittedly leave them (rinsed) in the sink for at least a day or two afterwards. We might also enjoy going out, having someone wait on us, clean up after us, etc. And what if you're a lousy cook? I literally know how to cook only a handful of dishes, and can't really cater to people with different tastes than my own. At a restaurant, everyone can find something they like!

Quote:
Cooking at home is in my experience always cheaper than going out to a restaurant however,
if you believe otherwise *it must be true*.......
I never claimed it was cheaper - just said it's easier, and less stressful/taxing for most. But sometimes it really can be less expensive, if you're only feeding one or two people. I spend maybe $8-10 when I go out to lunch (during work), and dinner "out" is usually a cheap pizza, $8 Panda Express meal, sandwich, or the like. I'm not going to 5-star restaurants or anything, lol.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Please, and why is he single? If he is straight and that age than usually something is lacking, shall we say some basic social skills.
Why all the nasty and judgmental comments about his being single (and over 40)? AGAIN, not everyone wants to be partnered off! I have very strong social skills, have dated PLENTY in my life, but choose to remain single because I like my independence and freedom. Maybe if I met the most wonderful man in the world (to me), I'd change my mind... but until I meet that man, I won't settle for "good enough" just to avoid being alone. So many assumptions here, just because the guy is over a certain age and not married. It isn't even that unusual these days, ya know.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:11 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,051,679 times
Quote:
Why all the nasty and judgmental comments about his being single (and over 40)? AGAIN, not everyone wants to be partnered off! I have very strong social skills, have dated PLENTY in my life, but choose to remain single because I like my independence and freedom. Maybe if I met the most wonderful man in the world (to me), I'd change my mind... but until I meet that man, I won't settle for "good enough" just to avoid being alone. So many assumptions here, just because the guy is over a certain age and not married. It isn't even that unusual these days, ya know.
The lady doth protest too much.

Have you read the thread? The comments about the guy's age/status are in relation to him being a rude, fussy boor, if the story is as told, and why that might be repellent to relationships.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:46 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
If you’re not the type of person who counters to his/her friends’ gracious offer of going out to eat with asking to instead go to their place for dinner, then talks to other friends about it when your gracious friends say no we want to take you out, and also states you’re going to then choose the most expensive restaurant in town, AND not get back to your gracious friends when they ask you again if you want to go out, then what people are saying about this still guy being single doesn’t apply to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships