Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 10:28 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I think puzzles are great for relaxing and are a great family activity. We put together a 3,000 piece puzzle over the summer and I bought a new one for the family for Christmas (only 1,500 this time). Ravensburger is my favorite puzzle brand.

Although as many have pointed out, the degree of enthusiasm varies within families. Our younger son (19, Psych major) only put a handful of pieces in, and our older son (22, Math major) was a driving force in getting it completed!

I love Ravensburger puzzles! That's what my 3,000 piece ones are also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 12:53 PM

3,067 posts, read 1,679,759 times
I just finished a 500-pc jigsaw, one that was quite hard. And I was proud of myself for not throwing in the towel. I am very ADHD, so it took me 3 weeks to finish it because I could sit and struggle with it only for so long. Got easier once I was about 2/3 done.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:39 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,256,472 times
If you want to improve your jigsaw skills try one of the online sites. There many to choose from and sometimes you can change the number of pieces in the puzzle. Pick a puzzle that interests you, try at 25 pieces, then again with a larger number. For online puzzles, I don't like to go above 100 pieces because of screen size. I DON'T recommend this physical jigsaw puzzle, it was way too hard.

https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Games.../dp/B0017M1WVG

Last edited by 919 rtp; 11-09-2017 at 03:10 PM..

Old 11-09-2017, 03:58 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
If you want to improve your jigsaw skills try one of the online sites. There many to choose from and sometimes you can change the number of pieces in the puzzle. Pick a puzzle that interests you, try at 25 pieces, then again with a larger number. For online puzzles, I don't like to go above 100 pieces because of screen size. I DON'T recommend this physical jigsaw puzzle, it was way too hard.

https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Games.../dp/B0017M1WVG
Too many of the same color, almost. I always pass on that one when searching out my next puzzle.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:01 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Brains function differently.

For example, I love crossword puzzles. Sometimes on a lazy weekend, I'll sit in my chair and polish off the NYT, LAT, and WSJ crossword puzzles one after another.

Yet if you ask me to do a Sudoku, my brain shuts down.

Yes! I get that. I love the craziest, busiest puzzles but can't even attempt a cross word puzzle or Sudoku.
Yet, I do a 6 week, 24/7 schedule for 30 people every 6 weeks without a hitch. Brains, so interesting.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:51 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times
I do both crossword puzzles and Sudoku, but only fair at best. Sudoku is easier because I know there has to be a definite solution. Crossword puzzles frazzle me when they use definitions for words I think are wrong. And I hate when they use names of people I guess they think we should all know. I rarely know authors or actors. And I absolutely hate the "theme" crosswords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I love puzzles but haven't done one in years. Hmm... Didn't know they were online.
I'm on Jigidi and I find that works well for me.

https://www.jigidi.com/

Old 11-09-2017, 07:37 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,256,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Too many of the same color, almost. I always pass on that one when searching out my next puzzle.
It was a miserable experience and I like jigsaw puzzles. All the tiny brushstrokes with a limited number of colors. Bought at a local thrift store, tried for a week or two, gave up, donated it back to the thrift store.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:00 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,164,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
This. Plus a generous dash of patience. I can spend 20 minutes on one piece (it’s actually sort of zen-like for me), whereas my sister gets frustrated and gives up after a minute or two.
I agree. You have to enjoy the challenge. I love the process of turning them all the right way up, and at the same time, separating the outside pieces. The next step has to be making the outline. I remember watching a friend who DID NOT DO THAT!! and it was unbearable to watch. Then I do the easy bits and then comes the real challenge. When I was young, my sister, dad and I would work on a big puzzle for weeks, whenever we had spare moments or inspiration. The enjoyment was shared when someone got through a big difficult part. Great memories.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:48 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,450,813 times
Varying degrees of spatial ability, spatial reasoning, detail oriented, focus, and sense of aesthetics. Personally I have to have an image I deem worthy of re assembling.

I think there are three types of jigsaw puzzles.
1) Conventional easy, an image that enables ease of color separation and reintegration from the image alone. Those with good spatial ability will put these together extremely easily and quickly.
2) Optical challenges where the image itself is difficult to differentiate so the focus becomes on identifying and separating the various style cuts of pieces which becomes the focus to assembly, and,
3) The mind benders where the jigsaw pieces have very little variation to cut types and the image has limited delineation of color and composition.

The first are the kind you can knock out in a day or an hour depending on number of pieces, the second usually lasts few days depending on piece count and the mindbenders are those which sit on a table for a few weeks and everyone who stops by has to put in a few pieces because even the spatially gifted will be slowed down due to so little variation in color and piece typology. Beware the person who steals one piece from the difficult portion of an expansive color (sky / grass etc.) palette so they can put in the last piece and it is the piece you have seeking!

I like the relaxed socialization of working a puzzle over the holidays with family or friends. Board games puzzles and cards are still a great way to enjoy that relaxed sharing and fun.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:44 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,593 times
Mostly a matter of patience I think, I did a lot of puzzles between about 1989 and 1993 and got good at them but that was when I was doing meth. Then I got into rock climbing and quit meth, haven't done a puzzle since :-D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships