Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 12:47 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,668,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Remember Monty Python? "We can bury her, burn her, or dump her."
Ah, yes, Monty Python and the Holy Grail!

The Cartman: "Bring out your dead!"
Old Man: "I ain't dead, yet!"
The Cartman: "He says he's not dead, yet."
Soldier: "He isn't? Oh, well, he will be soon, he's very ill."
Old Man: "No I'm not, I'm getting better!
Soldier: "No, you're not, you're going to be stone cold dead in a moment!"
The Cartman: "I can't take him -- it's against regulations."
Soldier: "Can you wait around a little while?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 06:45 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,847,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Remember Monty Python? "We can bury her, burn her, or dump her."
I live near where a lady put people's ashes over her roses. She is now serving time. Her hubby owned a respected funeral home. I think she was a second wife, or something. Anyhoo, when he passed away, she took over the funeral business. She messed up the business, royally. Loved ones thought she was doing the right thing, with their beloved's ashes.

The people that bought that place......ooooh....man, you should see those roses...........they are something beautiful. Yikes.........she was a nasty old woman. Darling family tree. I wonder if that house is haunted. Kind of creepy. I thought the new owners would tear the place down, and re-build. They did not. It is a beautiful house....................guess they got a huge bargain. No thanks. Guess, it does not bother them,

Old 11-15-2017, 07:24 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,530,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
I live near where a lady put people's ashes over her roses. She is now serving time.<>
Cremains are just phosphorus and calcium and not considered human material so why is she serving time?
wiki:
Cremated remains (aka "cremains" or simply, "ashes"),
which do not constitute a health risk,
may be buried or interred in memorial sites or cemeteries,
or they may be retained by relatives and dispersed in various ways.

American Rose Society recommends bone meal as a fertilizer.
"Good Choice"

Old 11-15-2017, 12:09 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
Why not have a wake? Or just a potluck remembrance get together?

I am old too and I don't want to waste thousands of dollars on a funeral. That has always been a custom I disliked.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:44 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
I've seen people spend THOUSANDS on those funerals and for WHAT? Who gets richer...It's old tradition I guess. In the old days, people were laid out at home and people visited the dead at home. Now that sounds so grim.

A little get together and cremation is what I'd like if anything.

My neighbor still has her brother's remains in a shoebox in the cupboard.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:03 PM

815 posts, read 709,410 times
My late mother had never wanted a funeral. When she died of cancer, she had a simple memorial service in accordance with her wishes and some family members were very unhappy. For my mom, she hated the public show and fakeness that often goes hand in hand with a large funeral. She didn't want to have a bunch of people saying a bunch of nice things about her in public when privately they didn't even know or like her. The people who were most upset were the ones who hadn't even kept in touch with her for years.

My mom would not have minded family members coming together for some sort of informal service, because that would be genuine.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:46 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,535,127 times
I would certainly abide by the deceased's expressed wishes. I know lots of people who do not wish have a formal funeral. However, I would get together with anyone who wanted to come & do something in celebration & honor of our friendship.

I am big on planting trees in my yard in memory of friends & family, specific to their personality. But you could give money for a memorial tree to be planted in a neighborhood park, or a park bench purchase, or something that fits with whatever the deceased liked to do. For instance, yesterday I saw a cool memorial school bell in front of an elementary school. Or you could have a dessert party or an ice cream social or a fireworks display party. If the person is formal do something more formal.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:40 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,309,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
First off, I want to say I purposefully didn't put this under Grief and Mourning. If a mod wants to move it, thats fine... as it is related... but I'm not actually in grief or mourning or need help in that regards.

Anyway, I can't understand why someone wouldn't want a funeral. I respect my aunts wishes, but a funeral isn't for the dead, but for the living. Her mother has been so distraught and even said she was angry with my aunt, hopefully with time that will pass.

This is more of a rant then anything, while I really do respect my aunts wishes for what she wants and we can all choose how we end and are remembered, but I don't agree with her, I think not allowing the family closure was a really selfish decision. I can understand if the family had financial problems or some family disputes, but there are none. Her passing was expected as she had been fighting cancer and she fairly well planned out her final days, even though it came sooner then expected.

My aunts sister is still planning a get together to remember her, but it's a very casual affair at her house, which is fine. But, technically my aunt even requested not to have that. I guess, my point is, besides a rant, is that I hope people will rethink not having a funeral. I think its a way to make us understand that life really is over. It doesn't feel like she is gone at all... Anyway, rant over... Maybe someone can offer a different perspective and make me change my mind or at least help me understand why someone would make a choice like this.

it's her decision and her's alone, so you should respect that. Ultimately, it's not about you.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:48 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Why not have a wake? Or just a potluck remembrance get together?

I am old too and I don't want to waste thousands of dollars on a funeral. That has always been a custom I disliked.
Wakes aren't free. Wakes at churches or funeral parlors still can cost a fortune. Not everyone wants that spectacle. I certainly don't. If you have great things to say about me, say them while I'm alive and can hear it. I hate the 2 faced twits that come out of the woodwork when someone passes. If I matter to you, have a relationship with me now. It does neither one of us any good if you wait until I'm dead! I'm not one for drama or pomp and circumstance. A few folks want to go out to dinner together, that's great, but there will be no funeral or wake. Many folks pass on both. I don't even care if there's an obit. Anyone who mattered in my life will know I'm dead.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:00 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,668,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Cremains are just phosphorus and calcium and not considered human material so why is she serving time?
Maybe they were cremains that belonged to someone else? There's several laws about that, but most of them seem to be civil cases, not criminal cases -- i.e., you can sue a funeral director for mishandling of human remains and for emotional distress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships